Gopher Show on KFAN

sorry to break it to you DPO but Gaard isn't "paid to care" about the Gophers.

the kfan folks are smarter than most of us. 'I think it's close to the Dells." tee hee

I also love the "what he does on his own time is his own business" routine. Oh, really? So how did it affect Mike Haywood's job performance when he was arrested for felony assault?

You're really comparing wearing a shirt with a school logo on it to domestic abuse?? C'mon man.

If Gaard punched his wife tonight and got thrown in jail, he would be fired from this sideline job by 9am tomorrow morning. Promise you.

Yeah, I'm sure the Wisconsin, Iowa, Notre Dame, LSU, and Tennessee fans will look at the 10+ pages of rants on the PA guy and another 5+ pages on the radio guy's attire and think - now there's a passionate fanbase that is devoted to the real issues of the program. Serious? Show a Texas fan this thread and they'd mock it to no end.

Go to some of those boards. They are discussing real things about their football team. Not ranting and raving about how the PA guy says touchdown or how the radio guy wears a sweatshirt of the school he attended.

Fans of these other teams are not discussing their radio guy wearing their rival's jacket on the air. But that's only because their radio guys wouldn't do that. If they did, get some popcorn and watch an epic firestorm on those forums. If Texas' radio guy was wearing an Oklahoma jacket, there would be a firestorm.

Fans of these other teams are not discussing their radio guy wearing their rival's jacket on the air. But that's only because their radio guys wouldn't do that. If they did, get some popcorn and watch an epic firestorm on those forums. If Texas' radio guy was wearing an Oklahoma jacket, there would be a firestorm.

Well, that is a good point. I forgot about Mike Gundy firing his carpenter for wearing an OU shirt in his house. So, there is some evidence to support your stance.

But, I thought what Gundy was stupid, too, so I guess I'm in the minority. I've made my thoughts (not that anyone cares) known and I understand there are folks who disagree with them. I just wish we'd concern ourselves with more important issues within the program. I don't think it makes us any more big-time if we're pissed about this, especially in light of the really good work I think Gaard is doing in providing Gopher coverage.

I don't think it makes us any more big-time if we're pissed about this, especially in light of the really good work I think Gaard is doing in providing Gopher coverage.
Ex-f***ing-actly.

Well, that is a good point. I forgot about Mike Gundy firing his carpenter for wearing an OU shirt in his house. So, there is some evidence to support your stance.

But, I thought what Gundy was stupid, too, so I guess I'm in the minority. I've made my thoughts (not that anyone cares) known and I understand there are folks who disagree with them. I just wish we'd concern ourselves with more important issues within the program. I don't think it makes us any more big-time if we're pissed about this, especially in light of the really good work I think Gaard is doing in providing Gopher coverage.

I'm not complaining about the coverage, I listen to KFAN now after having given up on them for a long time. And I'll agree that firing a contractor who comes to your house for wearing the rival's shirt is over the line. The contractor is just doing a job, it's incidental who is hiring the contractor is the head football coach of the rival. But it's different if you are the voice of a team, and wear the rival's colors. I'm really not outraged by this, I'm simply pointing out that it would be a in issue most anywhere, and at some schools, it would be a huge issue.

I like the job KFAN is doing and I think Gaard does a nice job.

I think it's just common sense to not wear an Iowa shirt....go to the mall and get a plain black polo shirt. Should be common sense to JG. And it should be common PR sense by KFAN to say "don't wear your Iowa shirt when you're doing something Gopher related."

Dpo, I think you are taking this way to seriously. And to say that most here dont care is why we arent taken seriously as a fanbase is the bigger joke. KFAN is the home of the Vikes, correct? Yet Dave Sinikin always wears Packer stuff, and talks, on air about how great the Packers are. Why shouldnt he be fired? Common is a diehard Lions fan, should he get fired because of that too? And comparing Gaard to CEOs of companies is a huge stretch. Gaard is a sideline reporter and interviews players. During those times, he wears Gopher gear and does everything very professionally. What he wears WHILE WORKING AT KFAN AND BEING PAID BY KFAN is in NO way under the rules of the U. Your whole argument is rediculous and baseless. Try to use some common sense.

The difference between Gaard and those guys is that the other two don't cover the Packers or Lions. Should Gaard be fired? Of course not, but it's understandable for some fans to not like it.

As for those who say "you don't see this stuff on other boards because it's not a big deal", the reason it's not on Alabama's or Notre Dame's message board is because it would never happen there. Could you imagine a sideline reporter for Alabama mentioning that he's wearing an Auburn shirt while doing his weekly radio show? It would be a firestorm.

The difference between Gaard and those guys is that the other two don't cover the Packers or Lions. Should Gaard be fired? Of course not, but it's understandable for some fans to not like it. QUOTE]

Huh? It is exactly the same thing. Those guys work for the station that covers their rival. Do Vikings fans have an outrage because Common wore a Lions shirt? Pretty sure he covers the Vikings on every frickin show. Yet you never hear Vikings fans b!tch about it. How is that different?

Yet Dave Sinikin always wears Packer stuff, and talks, on air about how great the Packers are. Why shouldnt he be fired?

Sinykin draws zero salary from the Vikings, directly or otherwise. His employer is a contractor for the Vikings.

Common is a diehard Lions fan, should he get fired because of that too?

Cole draws zero salary from the Vikings, directly or otherwise. His employer is a contractor for the Vikings.

And comparing Gaard to CEOs of companies is a huge stretch.

How so? They are all employees, are they not? Gaard is exempted from being professional because his salary is relatively minuscule?

Your whole argument is rediculous [sic] and baseless.

False. Just because I am the most vocal does not mean I stand alone. Several reasoned, seasoned posters agree with me.

Try to use some common sense.

That's exactly what I'm doing. Common sense would be to not promote your employer's direct rival competitors.

Gaard would do well not to wear hawkeye gear while on air ever again.
I will say this though, he had better NEVER bring up anything pro-hawkeye related while on air, that would be a fireable offense IMO.
Hate week will be interesting this year on KFAN, although I fear the people in charge don't give a damn either way(our AD/admin).

sorry to break it to you DPO but Gaard isn't "paid to care" about the Gophers.

Sure he is. If he cares about getting paid, he damn sure cares about the Gophers.

I've yet to meet a person (other than silver-spoon types whose daddies force them to work) who doesn't care about their employer.

It would be like Jared from the Subway commercials being seen with a Quizno's sub.

They aren't paid to care about their employer, they are paid to do their job. Do you really think every person that works at a fast-food chain actually care about that company? Gaard is paid to report on the Gophers, that is it.

Generally, you are expected to at least pretend to care, especially if you're the voice of that company.

Does Gaard collect a paycheck from the U? Or does he collect a paycheck from his employer who broadcasts Gopher games. Pretty sure its not the U. As far as attire, he is only obligated to wear Gopher gear when he is broadcasting a game for the Gophers, which he was not during this said incident. He was broadcasting a show on his time at his other job, KFAN. And Dpo, just because you are vocal, does not make you right.

It doesn't matter that he isn't paid by the U. He's still the voice of the Gophers. This would be a issue at any school in the country, most likely far bigger than it is here.

He's on twitter. Just tweet him about it or something.

They aren't paid to care about their employer, they are paid to do their job. Do you really think every person that works at a fast-food chain actually care about that company? Gaard is paid to report on the Gophers, that is it.

No, of course not. That would be silly. But if a worker at Wendy's showed up for work in a McDonalds uniform he probably would be asked to take it off. The boss at Wendy's probably would consider it stupid or an intent to provoke him or to insult his customers. That also seems pretty easy to grasp but skimming through this thread apparently not.

Mason calls him out

Barreiro just asked Mason if he saw a problem with wearing an Iowa shirt by JG. Mason said yes it was a problem. I don't think Barreiro expected that answer. Hilarious.

No, of course not. That would be silly. But if a worker at Wendy's showed up for work in a McDonalds uniform he probably would be asked to take it off. The boss at Wendy's probably would consider it stupid or an intent to provoke him or to insult his customers. That also seems pretty easy to grasp but skimming through this thread apparently not.

Gaard was working at KFAN...not working for Learfield.

His reasoning was, "why take the risk of offending your interview guest from the U and your audience."

The numerous responses on this thread indicating "it's no big deal" or "get over yourself" are exactly the reason why the Gophers and their fanbase will never be taken seriously as a legitimate major college football program.

This pretty much sums it up. For the most part Gopher fans are pathetic. Even though I don't like the Vikings much their fan base is much more in line with the Big Ten fan bases we see from other teams.

Does Gaard collect a paycheck from the U?

Holy sh!t you are clueless. Your reasoning behind the POV you are taking is so flawed I'm just feeling bad for you while reading through your posts. Clearly Gaard collects his paycheck from KFAN. But your point that he should be able to openly pimp his favorite team, who happens to be the U's rival, and it should be OK because he does a "good job" is just so fuc&ing stupid. Again, if this was any school but the U, who has a pathetic fanbase and administration, Gaard would be relieved of his duties. Plain and simple; and if you think otherwise I will just call you a dumb @ss in advance. The fact that we think this is OK just explains why MN is not good at football and probably doesn't have a chance to ever be good.

Mason said if it was a OSU sideline reporter wearing a Mich sweatshirt, it would be a death penalty case.

Holy sh!t you are clueless. Your reasoning behind the POV you are taking is so flawed I'm just feeling bad for you while reading through your posts. Clearly Gaard collects his paycheck from KFAN. But your point that he should be able to openly pimp his favorite team, who happens to be the U's rival, and it should be OK because he does a "good job" is just so fuc&ing stupid. Again, if this was any school but the U, who has a pathetic fanbase and administration, Gaard would be relieved of his duties. Plain and simple; and if you think otherwise I will just call you a dumb @ss in advance. The fact that we think this is OK just explains why MN is not good at football and probably doesn't have a chance to ever be good.

If Gaard hadnt been wearing an Iowa jacket we would've scored from fourth and 1 against the aggies.

Bielema's Hawkeye tattoo has destroyed Wisconsin football...so its not all bad.

Top Bottom