Gopher Season Ticket Costs Going Way UP?

Our seats are upper deck bench seats first nine rows. I figured that we would be safe from this type of money-grab. Bench seats in the upper deck!

I'm also wondering if the timing of this announcement doesn't speak to the Norwood-Kill relationship. An AD who had great respect and love for his coach would never dump this news out at the same time as the Kill coach of the year announcement. We should be enjoying some good Gopher football news rather than complaining about tickets prices, but here we are.

Ditto this - it should have been a great week for fans.

Gopher Football really no longer can be a family event for most families.

I'll be keeping my ticket (which I don't even need, I just give to my dad so I can enjoy watching the game with him at the stadium) and paying the extra money. I can afford it and honestly don't mind giving a few hundred bucks a year more to the university per year than I do. If i'm willing to pay an increase for a ticket that I give away for free every game, there will be many others who will renew also.

But - If i had four season tickets for my family, I'd likely drop at least two of those seats due to the increase, and I'm sure I would not be alone. Multiplying these increases by factors of four or five is where it really starts getting dicey.

To me the U isn't pricing out individuals. They're pricing out families.

The best bowl game since 1962 likely, the first 5-3 in 11 years, the Jug, the Pig (51-7 lead), back to back wins over Nebraska, 11 all-big ten players, record setting running back, BT tight end of the year, BT punter of the year, BT coach of the year, playing for BT west title, storming the field for 4th time in 5 years, multiple NFL prospects, top 10-15 TCU coming to the bank in primetime....

Yeah, that sucks!

Seriously? THIS?? Please.

From browsing through a couple items I haven't seen.

1. There will be 5 home conference games every other year.
2. There is a good chance that number could go to Five every year.
3. Fans have a little misconception of true price as every game was priced differently individually. Like pro teams, every games costs the same to produce.

In 2015 I will pay under $70 per game. That is zone #3 with a seat back.
In 2017 it will be $120 per game. That for big time, big 5 college football is not crazy. Part of it is tax deductible.

4. This plan could hurt scalpers as well. It will be interesting to see what discounts and single game tickets will be. Expect bundles for Wisconsin and Nebraska. The seats can be empty as long as the ticket was sold.

2015 =. TCU, MICH, WIS, NEBRASKA. Illinois
2016=. Oregon st, Colorado st, Iowa
2017 =. Maryland , Wisconsin. MSU. Nebraska. Illinois.

Tons of variables to factor in.

3. Fans have a little misconception of true price as every game was priced differently individually. Like pro teams, every games costs the same to produce.

In 2017 it will be $120 per game. That for big time, big 5 college football is not crazy. Part of it is tax deductible.

4. This plan could hurt scalpers as well. It will be interesting to see what discounts and single game tickets will be. Expect bundles for Wisconsin and Nebraska. The seats can be empty as long as the ticket was sold.

this is part that's interesting to me. Would expect most to stick around next b/c of the awesome slate of games coupled with relatively low increases in pricing; but 2016 is weak games with another hike and could see people walk and despite a pretty good slate in 2017 it will be tough to get them back to an even further rise in pricing. Will be intriguing to watch

It just seems like a really bad time to gouge fans. The U fought for alcohol sales in the stadium to increase revenue. Are they still losing money at that, or did they finally turn a profit? They leased out the stadium to the Vikings for two years, resulting in upgrades to the stadium and about $6 million in income that they didn't have before. Where is that money going?

Get a wife and kids. It turns your reasonable $120 into $480. Put in parking, you are at $500 per game. I almost never go the "think off the children" route, but there is a difference between bros spending money, and dropping over a grand on the kids. I am angry because this is what I did with my dad, and it ends here. I can probably afford it, but it does mean making a choice of what to give up, and I will probably keep the Twins tickets, because they don't treat me like an afterthought.

Get a wife and kids. It turns your reasonable $120 into $480. Put in parking, you are at $500 per game. I almost never go the "think off the children" route, but there is a difference between bros spending money, and dropping over a grand on the kids. I am angry because this is what I did with my dad, and it ends here. I can probably afford it, but it does mean making a choice of what to give up, and I will probably keep the Twins tickets, because they don't treat me like an afterthought.

Have a wife and two boys. Usually it's just me and the oldest as the younger hasn't taken to sports at this point. My wife loves the games, but is a from SEC country and likes watching her team. She has medical reasons that also keep her from games. With medical bills it's well beyond a family of four.

I've built relationships with people around me in zone 3 to be able to trade tickets a couple times a year.

I sit in Section 211 and I just checked my account. Despite apparent alarm from many on this board, I apparently won out here with the re-zoning since my donation went from $500 to $150. So I'll be back next season.:cool:

After my initial over reaction right away to the "sticker shock". I agree with this completely.

They need to turn part of University Av in front of the Stadium and Oak St into a pedistrian only zone on game days.....Like you quoted game day needs to be come a party down there and make people want to come.....Yea sure Uni Ave is a main drag for parking but there are ways to snake around campus to get to those other lots. Incovience yes but the only way this things goes up is by getting more festive on game day....Food trucks, maybe some live music, have the band playing all over in smaller groups....ect

Ticket Cost Increases

This probably doesn't merit it's own thread because there has already been a great deal of discussion on this issue. However, there are a couple of issues, I think, that are important to consider. I understand that no one wants to pay more for tickets to the game. People only have so much disposable income to go around. But let's try to look at this from Minnesota's perspective. Fans have been crying for years to be more competitive, then I'd support the U. Build better facilities to attract better players then I'd support the U. Pay what it takes to get and hold on to good coaches when we get them, then I'd support the U. Well, Minnesota has finally decided to take those steps even though we've been near the bottom as far as revenues. They have become more competitive. They built the new stadium and are looking at a substantial improvement in facilities. They have upped the ante to be competitive in order to attract and keep good coaches.

Sorry folks, but the money to do all these things has to come from somewhere. If not ticket, broadcast rights and seat licensing then where. We want all these things but want someone else to pay for them. We certainly can't do it with our current revenue streams. We barely break even now.

Finally one of the most important things that I haven't seen brought up yet is the new costs going forward for the athletic department. How to pay for the increase in benefits and aid for the student athletes that the big 5 has agreed to. This will amount to a significant increase in the athletic budget (between $2,200 and $4,000 a year per student athlete on full scholarship) and has to be covered. Where is that money coming from? Costs are going up but you expect revenues to stay flat?

Lastly, quit comparing Minnesota's next year's pricing to other schools this year pricing. You have no idea where the other schools will be next year. Trust me that they all will have to adjust their pricing in order to just cover the costs of the additional aid (COA) to the athletes.

Love this post! After reading the article on The Daily Gopher, two things jumped out at me: 1) We were making less money on donations than Purdue!!! 2) It's a huge fallacy to compare ticket prices with stadiums that have 20-30K more seats than ours.

Chicken vs Egg. There needs to be a greater effort to fill the stadium first. Right now, the only plan that keeps getting thrown out there is to squeeze the loyal fans that in some cases(myself included) goes back to the Wacker era or even further back(think Salem). I have no problem paying a fee, but to jump from zero seat license fee to north of $100 per seat? I just don't think I'll be able to do it.

I know that life happens, but I think the U has to consider that they may price out many of the people that were loyal to them through thick and thin. What is better for the overall health of the program? A half full stadium or a full one?

1. Sell out what you have first, that would maximize your revenues
2. moderate increases are acceptable, like previous year
3. these extra monies are not going to keep a coach, or build facilities, these are going to pay scholarships
4. there are other ways to raise these funds (which have failed) so the U chooses to take an easy way out
5. who will fill the vacated seats from the loyals that cannot belly up the $2000.00 extra to gain a goal line seat?

20+ years of season tickets and it saddens me that i will have to give up my seats. I can't see spending that kind of cash when I am already paying for 2 college tuition's and have a mortgage due monthly. my PT gigs that i work to pay for pleasure tickets like the gophers cannot pick up the increases.

comparisons are great because you can compare anything. making the U o M the 2nd highest ticket price om the West is nice. Nebraska has a waiting list for ticket holders so i you choose to stop paying for them they will ind others. We cant sell out what we have at a reasonable price why do they expect to raise the prices and people will fill the seats? if this is the Econ that the Carlson school is teaching then we should also see a drop in young minds wanting to get into that school.

maybe i am wrong but my 65" TV is looking more appealing to me instead o paying an extra $2000.00 down the road. and don't call me a bandwagon jumper. I was there for the Holtz years all the way to Jerry, those of you that don't remember the Whacker years or the Guety years or the Mason debacles go back and look at why anyone would still buy tickets to that crap. my reward for my support?

positives from this are
1. i wont have to be hoarse on Mondays/Tuesdays from screaming and yelling at a Saturday game
2. I can now direct my PT money to other things like trips possible to Bowl games if the U is smart enough to keep Jerry for a while longer
3. My wife will get a Saturday husband back for the first time since early in our marriage(albeit until the game is over on TV)

They don't care about the loyal fan. They care about patrons who will spend money. The Twins did the same when they built Target Field. The makeup of the fan base almost completely changed.

Good post. Maybe this was in the other thread (I haven't read all 20 pages), but it would help if the U was more transparent in explaining why they need these increases now? Most agree that we need a practice facility and football supports most of the non-rev sports. But what about all the big name donations for the former we keep hearing about? And what is the U doing with all the millions we receive from the BTN? Likewise, Does all the parking from sporting events go to the athletic dept, or the general fund?

Articulating theses issues more effectively would probably dispell some of the discontent. I agree with TDG that the timing of this was a bit tone deaf, and that the increases for some of the seats is very aggressive. As TDG suggests, maybe this is a bit of a trial balloon and they could roll back the increases? If that was Teague's intent this was handled rather heavy-handedly.

Good post. Maybe this was in the other thread (I haven't read all 20 pages), but it would help if the U was more transparent in explaining why they need these increases now? Most agree that we need a practice facility and football supports most of the non-rev sports. But what about all the big name donations for the former we keep hearing about? And what is the U doing with all the millions we receive from the BTN? Likewise, Does all the parking from sporting events go to the athletic dept, or the general fund?

Articulating theses issues more effectively would probably dispell some of the discontent. I agree with TDG that the timing of this was a bit tone deaf, and that the increases for some of the seats is very aggressive. As TDG suggests, maybe this is a bit of a trial balloon and they could roll back the increases? If that was Teague's intent this was handled rather heavy-handedly.

They did. https://www.goldengopherfund.com/Online/scholarship-seating-adjustments

It just seems like a really bad time to gouge fans. The U fought for alcohol sales in the stadium to increase revenue. Are they still losing money at that, or did they finally turn a profit? They leased out the stadium to the Vikings for two years, resulting in upgrades to the stadium and about $6 million in income that they didn't have before. Where is that money going?

Amen!
A few things I can think of...
- Adding the "New York Market" to BTN
- Vikings Money - rumored to be around $300,000 a game
- Was (maybe still is) only Big Ten stadium that serves alcohol. How is TCF the only facility I have ever heard of that doesn't make money serving beer? Heck, in college we made money selling $5 solo cups.

I don't have a problem paying a fee for my tickets, but I do have a problem having my tickets go up 100% in price. I could probably afford the tickets in 2017, but I do not like the feeling of not being treated like a fan, but instead being treated like a bank. The flip side of not going to a game isn't sooo bad. I will lay on my couch with my wife and kids in our sweat pants, make a nice lunch, and watch the game on my new 60" TV. Same experience? No, but I'll survive.

The money has to come from somewhere, yes. But you don't get any money from tickets that don't sell. Let's say you sell hamburgers, and charge $5 for them. If your restaurant is popular enough that you're selling hamburgers as fast as you can flip them, you may be able to raise the price to $7. Your demand may decrease at that price, but the new demand is still greater than what you can supply, there's no problem - you're restaurant will still be full. But if your restaurant isn't very crowded, raising the price may result in less money.

2017 tickets will be around 200 bucks a game after parking for each of us in my group. $800 for tickets before we even start tailgating. 2016 is only slightly better. $1400 buys a pretty big TV. Throw in the money I save tailgating and I will probably be buying that 80" TV for the basement in 2016 when we drop our tickets.

If this was going for building facilities for all the sports, it would be one thing, but this is blatently putting the onus of funding non-revenue sports on the football team. Also, if the increase were less substantial and carried out over more years, there would be far less issue. I love this team to death but ROI on 2016 and 2017 just isn't there. I don't know that $200 a game for non-conference games will ever be worth it.

The money has to come from somewhere, yes. But you don't get any money from tickets that don't sell. Let's say you sell hamburgers, and charge $5 for them. If your restaurant is popular enough that you're selling hamburgers as fast as you can flip them, you may be able to raise the price to $7. Your demand may decrease at that price, but the new demand is still greater than what you can supply, there's no problem - you're restaurant will still be full. But if your restaurant isn't very crowded, raising the price may result in less money.

I like the analogy. Also the higher prices may discourage new customers from coming in to your restaurant. The one X factor is that if you food is really really good then people may be willing to pay the higher price because they feel the value is enough to justify the cost. A middle of the road hamburger typically doesn't inspire that kind of reaction from customers, need to be an award winning burger to justify paying premium prices to get it.

In 2017

you'll be lucky to get tickets off the street at face value if the Gophs are headed for the College Football Playoffs. Think B1G!! aside from TCU..Minny had a chance in every game...i am not sure many of us here are able to recall a gopher season like 2014.

and 2014 was done with a poor man's Tim Tebow. imagine if we had a top 20 NCAA QB.

you'll be lucky to get tickets off the street at face value if the Gophs are headed for the College Football Playoffs. Think B1G!! aside from TCU..Minny had a chance in every game...i am not sure many of us here are able to recall a gopher season like 2014.

I'll pay market value. If in 2017 it's market value, I'll consider getting season tickets again. Until then I'll buy off the street. I've had a problem paying for my season tickets in recent years too as I know I was overpaying.

I'm a consumer of Gopher football. I'll pay market value. I will not donate to the Athletic Department. I donate to causes that support sick children and rescue dogs. In principle I will not donate to a for-profit business(and yes it's for-profit).

Yeah, the whole '$15 tickets on the street' is definitely perpetuated by those who haven't tried buying tickets off the street. I tried to go to the Iowa game last minute and couldn't find a seat for less than 1.5X face value. Obviously for the lesser games there will be cheap tickets, but not very good ones at ~$20.

Wrote to Norwood stating he missed a great PR opportunity to expand season ticket base. Put more butts in the stadium and then moderately increase ticket prices. The news now will be about disgruntled season ticket people not about the increased interest in Gopher Football!

Yeah, the whole '$15 tickets on the street' is definitely perpetuated by those who haven't tried buying tickets off the street. I tried to go to the Iowa game last minute and couldn't find a seat for less than 1.5X face value. Obviously for the lesser games there will be cheap tickets, but not very good ones at ~$20.

Um... where were you looking for your tickets? I always ask the scalpers while walking up to the stadium just to see what they have and what they are selling them for. For the Iowa game this year 15 mins before kickoff 75% of the people I asked were selling for less than face value. And if you weren't OK with their prices you could have still gotten face value from the ticket office as the game wasn't sold out.

Top Bottom