Gopher Season Ticket Costs Going Way UP?

Please explain why you think this with the excess supply of tickets last season, tickets were available for every game for well under face on the secondary market. If anything the tickets are overpriced for the market.

For a D1 college football game event of this type $40 a ticket (lower deck between 20yl and endzone) is under market value. That's not what tickets are sold for at other colleges that are well attended. We have not been well attended and they opened the stadium at a reduced price to increase/encourage attendance. They are obviously convinced that this years success will continue and they will be able to sell those seats at $75-80 which is what I paid for Nebraska and Wisconsin tickets this year as a visitor in the nosebleeds. I think they are correct in that assumption and I had stated before it won't necessarily be the same people in those seats, but it will be someone. I'm not going to dump my season tickets just because I am finally forced to pay as much for home games as I have been paying for away games.

If you want to make an economics argument that the value of the ticket is what someone pays for the last available ticket then I guess they are worth $0 since games weren't sold out. I'm looking at what the average of the bulk of the tickets sold for not what the last 5% sold for on Stub Hub or outside the stadium.

If you want to make an economics argument that the value of the ticket is what someone pays for the last available ticket then I guess they are worth $0 since games weren't sold out. I'm looking at what the average of the bulk of the tickets sold for not what the last 5% sold for on Stub Hub or outside the stadium.

It's not what someone pays for the last AVAILABLE ticket. It's what they pay for the last ticket SOLD. Big difference(i.e. there's still lots of oil AVAILABLE, but the last barrel SOLD sets the price). If you are arguing it's not a very efficient market, well, you are correct (while there was someone buying a $5 ticket on CL, there was very likely some poor schmuck paying face at the window). That said, it's pretty tough to argue inefficiencies in the market explain why all these theoretical people willing to pay $75-100 ticket inexplicably decide NOT to buy when they cost only $10. An improved team will arb away some of it. But 6-10X change in street value? Count me in the skeptical crowd.

It's not what someone pays for the last AVAILABLE ticket. It's what they pay for the last ticket SOLD. Big difference(i.e. there's still lots of oil AVAILABLE, but the last barrel SOLD sets the price). If you are arguing it's not a very efficient market, well, you are correct (while there was someone buying a $5 ticket on CL, there was very likely some poor schmuck paying face at the window). That said, it's pretty tough to argue inefficiencies in the market explain why all these theoretical people willing to pay $75-100 ticket inexplicably decide NOT to buy when they cost only $10. An improved team will arb away some of it. But 6-10X change in street value? Count me in the skeptical crowd.

Last sold ticket is a terrible metric to use.

People seem to be arguing that all the tickets in TCF Bank Stadium somehow have equal value. This is simply not true. There are many people who would rather pay $100 to sit on the 50 yard line than $20 to sit in the upper deck corners.

It's also possible increased donations on some tickets would be treated like other luxury items and raising the prices actually increases demand. See here for a brief explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

People seem to be arguing that all the tickets in TCF Bank Stadium somehow have equal value. This is simply not true. There are many people who would rather pay $100 to sit on the 50 yard line than $20 to sit in the upper deck corners.

It's also possible increased donations on some tickets would be treated like other luxury items and raising the prices actually increases demand. See here for a brief explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

I never thought of Gopher football as the Rolls Royce of sports entertainment but perhaps that is just me. Assuming this is the thinking behind the price increase, it will be interesting to see how many people perceive it as a luxury item? I guess we’ll know in the next couple of years. In the meantime let’s hope we don’t have any wheels fall off our luxury ride ;-)

For a D1 college football game event of this type $40 a ticket (lower deck between 20yl and endzone) is under market value. That's not what tickets are sold for at other colleges that are well attended.
Do you think the market for a college football ticket is the same in Minneapolis/St. Paul as it is in Madison, WI (or other well attended college towns)?

I never thought of Gopher football as the Rolls Royce of sports entertainment but perhaps that is just me. Assuming this is the thinking behind the price increase, it will be interesting to see how many people perceive it as a luxury item? I guess we’ll know in the next couple of years. In the meantime let’s hope we don’t have any wheels fall off our luxury ride ;-)
In MN, Gopher football is the Toyota Carolla of sports entertainment. Much more prestige in having Vikings, Wild, and Twins season tix.

Here's my issue with the bolded part of your comment. Who are these fans who will seemingly pay anything for the premium seats, yet can't be bothered to attend the game for a much lower price to sit elsewhere? It just doesn't make sense. These theoretical fans are so into Gopher football they were going to buy a ticket last season and then said "I can only get a ticket between the end-zone and the 35 yardline for $20, but they don't have any at the 50 yardline for $120 so I guess I'll stay home." Sorry, I don't buy it.

Replies to various posts...

Teague Q&A with the Daily:

The athletics department recently announced a new plan to increase scholarship seating. What was the motive for this plan?

Like I said when we announced it last week, I cannot see us in the coming years staying in the black without doing something like this because our costs have continued to go up. And really, since 2009, the only significant augmentation we’ve had in our budget has been primarily our Big Ten TV money.

Go Gophers!!

This is such a ridiculous statement, it's breathtaking to think what kind of world Teague lives in where people nod along with this nonsense. Does noone he ever talks to actually have knowledge of the facts? The B1G revenue per team is scheduled to go from $27M this year to $45M in 2017-18. That is far in excess of the "operational costs" increase, not even diving into how much money they are wasting over there on increased administration spending. And several people have already pointed out that a 20% ticket hike last year is certainly "significant" to most of us, even though it isn't to "Slick Woody" Teague.

I'm going to somewhat agree here. Last ticket sold isn't really accurate for how much the ticket is worth. Last ticket sold about a week out from the event would be more accurate. It would be what a fan like us is willing to pay for a guaranteed seat in enough time to guarantee arrival of ticket, etc. I haven't really looked into what that amount is as I haven't need tickets, but while I'd somewhat agree that lower deck non-donation chairbacks were probably somewhat underpriced, it sure as Hades wasn't by 3X.

On the 2nd point, it is possible demand would increase with increased price, but I highly doubt it. Tickets on StubHub will go up a little because ticketholders will be trying to match roughly what they paid, but demand isn't going to significantly go up until the product (wins) improves quite a bit.

I think that is misleading as well. I'm guessing 90% of people are willing to pay more, just not double or triple what they are currently paying.

Spot on. Most of us kind of expected and thought that this day would come. We just didn't expect prices to go 2-3X in just 3-4 years after a season of no sellouts.

Not sure if this has been pointed out, but people in section 210 and 211 may actually have lower donations going forward. For example, say you sit in row 1 section 210 (50 yard line) your donation was $500 in 2014, but will be $450 in 2015. Or say you sit row 10 section 210 you paid a $500 donation in 2014 and will pay the same $500 in 2017 (lower in 2015/16)!! I know where I will try to move.

This is very interesting. As that post notes, look at rows 10-17 of 210/211. Those people are actually having their donations go DOWN by $350/ticket from 2014 to 2015. Are those tickets even sold as season tickets? Does anybody sit by these tickets or have them who could say for sure? My guess is they're all single-game tickets and no-one is currently paying the license, otherwise why would the U forgo $350/ticket in 2015 and $200/ticket in 2016 (and not increase in 2017)?

The same people who paid last year will pay this year. In fact I guarantee attendance spikes next year with who we got coming in next year and the raised expectations. Nebby travels scUM travels TCU will be top ten wisco will sell out why wouldn't they raise prices.
I guarantee attendance won't spike next year. I was expecting a modest bump from the exciting year this year - maybe sell out the bigger games. But now, they're going to have to find single-game buyers for thousands of seats of STH's who cancelled. Probably pretty close to the same attendance as last year.

Here's my issue with the bolded part of your comment. Who are these fans who will seemingly pay anything for the premium seats, yet can't be bothered to attend the game for a much lower price to sit elsewhere? It just doesn't make sense. These theoretical fans are so into Gopher football they were going to buy a ticket last season and then said "I can only get a ticket between the end-zone and the 35 yardline for $20, but they don't have any at the 50 yardline for $120 so I guess I'll stay home." Sorry, I don't buy it.

Actually, I'm one of those people, but I STILL don't think it works with the ticket price increases proposed. I agree that different tickets have different values, but that itself doesn't change the supply demand mis-match any more than does having different prices for Brent Crude and West Texas Intermediate: it's still the last barrel of each that sets the price. They both have markets for them. Where it breaks down is there exists TODAY secondary market tickets way below face all over the stadium. Even if the 50 yard lines seats were selling on the street for $200 every game (and they aren't), there are abundant $50 face tickets going for $5-$10 that the Gophers propose nearly doubling effective face value. These aren't luxury goods. They are the bench seats. In order to buy into this you have to believe that a) something changes to fundamentally drive new demand (Gophers get MUCH better than today and stay that way, Vikings stadium changes football economics, etc.), or b) the Gophers have calculated they can make more money even if they sell far fewer tickets and if people get them for $5 and sit in a half full stadium, so what. Personally, I'm nearly positive it's b).

Do you think the market for a college football ticket is the same in Minneapolis/St. Paul as it is in Madison, WI (or other well attended college towns)?

There is definitely something to the point you are making. When you are the only game in town you can charge a lot more and people will still come. Much harder to do that when you are one of many options in the market. Really puts the pressure on the team to continue moving upward in order to justify and maintain the higher cost. Obviously the U is banking on that and we all hope it happens but if things do backslide at all they could be in a really tough spot from a ticket sales standpoint.

In MN, Gopher football is the Toyota Carolla of sports entertainment. Much more prestige in having Vikings, Wild, and Twins season tix.

Which explains where I am at. I own a Hyundai, will never own a Lexus or professional sports season tickets. I can afford 6-7 games a year at $80 a pop and away games I can drive to. Plus from my standpoint, having Gopher games to look forward to takes some of the suck out of summer coming to an end every year.

You must run in different circles. Not sure who is walking around proud about owning Twins tickets this year. Vikings season tickets are prestigious and in a whole different tax bracket. In fact the gophers may get some middle class crossover from people who can't stomach the $3,700 seat license fee they want up front. That's the fee for my comparable seats at a Vikings game which will also sell for $160 a game.

So the gophers looking to be a half price option to the local pro-football team does seem viable to me especially with the absence of the $3700 initiation fee. Timing couldn't be better for the Gophers.

Tato, Last ticket sold is as stupid a metric as any other. So when a retailer takes the last 5% of their perishable inventory and puts it on the clearance rack that means it was never worth full price to the 95% of the people who bought it earlier? Saying everyone can wait around and buy it at clearance prices is flawed logic.

This is such a ridiculous statement, it's breathtaking to think what kind of world Teague lives in where people nod along with this nonsense. Does noone he ever talks to actually have knowledge of the facts? The B1G revenue per team is scheduled to go from $27M this year to $45M in 2017-18. That is far in excess of the "operational costs" increase, not even diving into how much money they are wasting over there on increased administration spending. And several people have already pointed out that a 20% ticket hike last year is certainly "significant" to most of us, even though it isn't to "Slick Woody" Teague.

Maybe Teague figured out it was better financially to have people watching the B1G network that attending games and in order to accomplish that objective he devised this new ticket price scheme… genius!

There are plenty of people sitting in the stadium right now who donate well over the $500/ticket that is required of them right now. Those people aren't in the echo-chamber that is this thread.

There are plenty of people sitting in the stadium right now who donate well over the $500/ticket that is required of them right now. Those people aren't in the echo-chamber that is this thread.

+1. Unfortunately this is where I have gotten to with this thread basically: "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah." Essentially the same posters saying the same stuff over and over and over and over on the topic. Day after day. An echo chamber.

The Twins and Timberwolves sell season tickets at well over the secondary market price for their games. There are seats available for much cheaper every night, but there are still thousands of season ticket holders. This is true of basically every sports team in the country. What is so special about Gopher football that it won't work for them? Especially when you consider that 80% of the donation is tax deductible.

Who wants to pay $200+ to see a MAC team in 2017? Notice that no matter how much revenue pours in from TV, Teague still wants to add $500/ticket to seats that year. Fire Teague.

Echo.............echo............................echo.................................echo............................... echo....................................................echo

:rolleyes:

as he often does, supadupafly continues to post in and bump up a thread he apparently doesn't want people to keep talking about. dear lord dude, stop clicking this thread and definitely stop bumping it if you don't like it.

smh :rolleyes:

Supa Silly

+1. Unfortunately this is where I have gotten to with this thread basically: "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah." Essentially the same posters saying the same stuff over and over and over and over on the topic. Day after day. An echo chamber.

And yet you reply and spew out the same garbage from the opposite point of view. Makes no sense to me.

Which explains where I am at. I own a Hyundai, will never own a Lexus or professional sports season tickets. I can afford 6-7 games a year at $80 a pop and away games I can drive to. Plus from my standpoint, having Gopher games to look forward to takes some of the suck out of summer coming to an end every year.

You must run in different circles. Not sure who is walking around proud about owning Twins tickets this year. Vikings season tickets are prestigious and in a whole different tax bracket. In fact the gophers may get some middle class crossover from people who can't stomach the $3,700 seat license fee they want up front. That's the fee for my comparable seats at a Vikings game which will also sell for $160 a game.

So the gophers looking to be a half price option to the local pro-football team does seem viable to me especially with the absence of the $3700 initiation fee. Timing couldn't be better for the Gophers.

Tato, Last ticket sold is as stupid a metric as any other. So when a retailer takes the last 5% of their perishable inventory and puts it on the clearance rack that means it was never worth full price to the 95% of the people who bought it earlier? Saying everyone can wait around and buy it at clearance prices is flawed logic.

You are 100% correct, me boy. Teague has concocted a disaster with the new policy.

Echo.............echo............................echo.................................echo............................... echo....................................................echo

HELLO?!

as he often does, supadupafly continues to post in and bump up a thread he apparently doesn't want people to keep talking about. dear lord dude, stop clicking this thread and definitely stop bumping it if you don't like it.

smh :rolleyes:

Not sure posting 3 minutes after the previous post could be considered "bumping". Just sayin'

Not sure posting 3 minutes after the previous post could be considered "bumping". Just sayin'

You need to read this board more often if you think this is the only thread that sudap does this. Just sayin'

You are driving me nuts. This is at least the second (third? Fourth?) time you have complained about the "same people" posting on the topic. Quite ironic considering NOBODY has posted as much as you have on the subject (not even close. Should we take a look at your posting history over the last week?)

It seems to have grown into a strange obsession.

You are driving me nuts. This is at least the second (third? Fourth?) time you have complained about the "same people" posting on the topic. Quite ironic considering NOBODY has posted as much as you have on the subject (not even close. Should we take a look at your posting history over the last week?)

It seems to have grown into a strange obsession.

Then my plan is working to a "T".

exc.gif

Oh and "bump". :p

Top Bottom