Gopher Potential Portal Pursuits

Even with a couple replacement level transfers, that roster wins 4-5 B1G games.
Unfortunately at this point- just looking at the ON3 ratings - the bulk of the top 200 guys are committed somewhere.

Gopher Crew on X seems to think Patterson is coming here?? Other reports says he has a lot of interest.

Ben’s HC resume has never been better. He found quality kids that others want and the record was better. I think this it until 2027

Oh well. 317 days until this joke of an era is ended.
I have been a johnson supporter, but after christie declared for portal im not so sure anymore. You've got guys like Dusty May going to Michigan and cleaning up in the portal. We need a coach who can keep guys and recruit the portal. Yeah maybe we need more NIL money, but this isnt gonna work every year. We always complain about finishing below Wisconsin and being in bottom tier. This isnt gonna change until the University starts caring about the basketball program.

I have been a johnson supporter, but after christie declared for portal im not so sure anymore. You've got guys like Dusty May going to Michigan and cleaning up in the portal. We need a coach who can keep guys and recruit the portal. Yeah maybe we need more NIL money, but this isnt gonna work every year. We always complain about finishing below Wisconsin and being in bottom tier. This isnt gonna change until the University starts caring about the basketball program.
I agree. The first thing the U can do to show they care is fix the obvious mistake they made 3 years ago and commit $$ to getting the best coach they can.

When you have a resume of back to back NCAA tickets it helps!

No problem...
I'll just have give my $5 million donation to a different Gopher player.......

We didn't need Musselman, according to the Ben bobos here.
We'll see what the roster ends up looking like, but hard to get excited about program at this point. What will attendance look like next year at this point?

I agree. The first thing the U can do to show they care is fix the obvious mistake they made 3 years ago and commit $$ to getting the best coach they can.
If MN doesn’t find more funding for NIL, or common sense asserts itself and the whole free agency thing gets straightened out, changing coaches isn’t going to really help. Some would call it the free market, which we all laud until it bites us in the ass. Some would call it greed, but only if it’s our players going the other way. But the great philosopher Randy Moss would call it "straight cash homey"!

If you took this system and put into effect into a major league sport, with none other than a one year "attachment", not even a contract, the same insanity would reign. The big market, big media teams would clean up. Teams like the Twins, who can’t or won’t, spend competitive numbers on FA would just end up as farm clubs for the big spenders.

All the pissing and moaning on here isn’t gonna change it. The U has never paid top dollar for coaches or facilities, nor has it ever backed its coaching staffs and or ignored a staffs faults or "scandals".

Yes an "excellent" coach can make a difference. But an excellent coach can’t become a National winner with his hands tied behind his back. Of course that’s if you could get an "excellent" coach to come here and STAY for a discounted salary.

If MN doesn’t find more funding for NIL, or common sense asserts itself and the whole free agency thing gets straightened out, changing coaches isn’t going to really help. Some would call it the free market, which we all laud until it bites us in the ass. Some would call it greed, but only if it’s our players going the other way. But the great philosopher Randy Moss would call it "straight cash homey"!

If you took this system and put into effect into a major league sport, with none other than a one year "attachment", not even a contract, the same insanity would reign. The big market, big media teams would clean up. Teams like the Twins, who can’t or won’t, spend competitive numbers on FA would just end up as farm clubs for the big spenders.

All the pissing and moaning on here isn’t gonna change it. The U has never paid top dollar for coaches or facilities, nor has it ever backed its coaching staffs and or ignored a staffs faults or "scandals".

Yes an "excellent" coach can make a difference. But an excellent coach can’t become a National winner with his hands tied behind his back. Of course that’s if you could get an "excellent" coach to come here and STAY for a discounted salary.
No one asking for a "national winner" just a competitive power 5 program. It's not impossible. As far as paying coaches, that's not really true. Tubby was one of the 20 highest paid coaches and PJ is paid very competitively. The gap between Ben's salary and the middle of the B1G is pretty small.

Give it a rest you don’t think May has deep pockets up in Michigan compared to what we have to work with

Patterson is listed as 6’1 to 6’3” and somewhere between 200-230lbs. So he sounds built for the B1G.

Does anyone know what his defense is like and dare I hope that he is quick?

The knock on him coming out of high school was that he's very slow footed, and couldn't defend, or penetrate at the high major level. Others have said that he's worked very hard to change his body, and improve his quickness. So apparently he's quicker than he was, but he's no Hawkins. If you recall a couple years back when we had Cooper, and the slow guy from Dartmouth, one of our biggest weaknesses was we had was that no one who could stay in front of smaller, quick guards. Looking at the roster, it would appear we're back to that dynamic.

Last edited:

As of the moment:

Garcia
Mitchell
Rigsby
Mitchell
Asuma

Betts
Grove
Fox

Need 5 more: Can we get Patterson, Evans, Edmunds??? We have zero guard depth at the moment.

I think we'll add Patterson, Odukale, Edmonds, & Caleb Williams of the guys we know about, lose Christie & add one more we haven't heard about yet.

Starters:
C- F. MItchell
PF- Garcia
SF- Odukale
SG- M. Mitchell
PG- Patterson

Bench:
G- Asuma
G- Rigsby
G- Caleb Williams
F- Betts
F- Fox
F- Grove
C- Edmonds
X- Portal transfer

No one asking for a "national winner" just a competitive power 5 program. It's not impossible. As far as paying coaches, that's not really true. Tubby was one of the 20 highest paid coaches and PJ is paid very competitively. The gap between Ben's salary and the middle of the B1G is pretty small.
Tubby is no longer here. Something happened to him? PJ is better than some past coaches but hasn’t even won the ever competitive West division once in 7? years. And I doubt Bens salary is the envy of some of the coaches some on this site lust after.

Tubby is no longer here. Something happened to him? PJ is better than some past coaches but hasn’t even won the ever competitive West division once in 7? years. And I doubt Bens salary is the envy of some of the coaches some on this site lust after.
The point is that we have, and are paying competitive coaching salaries in the big sports. Ben is on the lower end of the B1G, because he came here with zero resume or experience. That does not mean we hired him because we couldn't afford anyone else. The B1G and the SEC have more $$ than anyone. They can and should afford to pay a competitive ~top 30 national salary for the next coach.

Comparing us to Michigan is apples to oranges. As much as I'm frustrated with CBJ losing so many players, I think your last sentence is the most important part of your post & don't see anyone succeeding here until that part is fixed.

Comparing us to Michigan is apples to oranges. As much as I'm frustrated with CBJ losing so many players, I think your last sentence is the most important part of your post & don't see anyone succeeding here until that part is fixed.
Just think about how much money is blown on players when teams end up not making tourney or guy getting $500k to average 3.2 points.

I think we'll add Patterson, Odukale, Edmonds, & Caleb Williams of the guys we know about, lose Christie & add one more we haven't heard about yet.

Starters:
C- F. MItchell
PF- Garcia
SF- Odukale
SG- M. Mitchell
PG- Patterson

Bench:
G- Asuma
G- Rigsby
G- Caleb Williams
F- Betts
F- Fox
F- Grove
C- Edmonds
X- Portal transfer
Hope you are right. This team talenti u picked talent wise may be better than last years group. The question marks would be team speed or quickness, and how fast they gel!

Hope you are right. This team talenti u picked talent wise may be better than last years group. The question marks would be team speed or quickness, and how fast they gel!
Shooting is a factor too. This year’s team could shoot better than most in Tre last two decades. Being athletic and not able to shoot doesn’t help much. We’ll never have enough great athletes to make up for lack of basketball skills.

Just think about how much money is blown on players when teams end up not making tourney or guy getting $500k to average 3.2 points.
That's why I think this spending isn't sustainable. A few years of collectives/boosters/fans blowing money and seeing little ROI will reset market values for players. Throw in a recession, and it corrects even faster.

If I were a FedEx shareholder, I would be furious that they are funneling money into Memphis basketball, NIL. How does that make any business sense? How does it help their bottom line?

The elite players will still get paid. However, musical chairs between power conferences for $500k+ 1-year contracts for slightly better-than-average players will no longer exist.

That's my bold projection.

Shooting is a factor too. This year’s team could shoot better than most in Tre last two decades. Being athletic and not able to shoot doesn’t help much. We’ll never have enough great athletes to make up for lack of basketball skills.
We should use that last portal transfer spot on Akeem Springs

It helps when you actually play guards. It tends to improve the shooting (Carrington withstanding).

Top Bottom