Gopher Potential Portal Pursuits

Can we at least agree that Garcia is a good player?

And Christie? And Payne & Hawkins just got $500K.

So apparently Ben assembled a valuable team...right?
Perhaps? Relative to who? Was the Gopher roster "worth" more than Wisconsin's? Iowa? Northwestern? Nebraska?

Wyoming transfer Brendan Wenzel has received interest from the following programs, he tells TPR:

SMU
TCU
Houston
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
UTEP
Clemson
Virgina Tech
St Mary’s
Minnesota
Penn State
Boston College
UAB
Longwood
McNeese State
VCU
New Mexico
UNLV
Utah State
LMU
Tulane

Attachments

• 1000005888.jpg
    1000005888.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 2

Wyoming transfer Brendan Wenzel has received interest from the following programs, he tells TPR:

SMU
TCU
Houston
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
UTEP
Clemson
Virgina Tech
St Mary’s
Minnesota
Penn State
Boston College
UAB
Longwood
McNeese State
VCU
New Mexico
UNLV
Utah State
LMU
Tulane

Wenzel is nice sized, 6'7' and scored double figures in 12 of the last 13 games for the Cowboys. Started in all 31 games he played last season.

So much for Wenzel......

Wenzel is nice sized, 6'7' and scored double figures in 12 of the last 13 games for the Cowboys. Started in all 31 games he played last season.

So much for Wenzel......
I guess for now- let's go with the "elevenseven" theory. According to that poster we have silent verbals from the portal guys we want already. :)

If he had assembled a poorer team for this past season, there's a good likelihood that he would no longer be the coach. He had a good enough third year to earn a fourth but it's not like he crushed it in 2023-24.
Do I really have to keep explaining this to you guys? Many guys on here...

We need good players to win. But...we can't keep good players...because we won't pay them.

So valuable by barely making the NIT, and not beating a single top 25 team.
Exactly. 9-11 in conference, beating the other low-budget teams...is about our high watermark.

This team was CLEARLY OBVIOUSLY FACTUALLY too valuable for us to keep. And this is not debatable.

Last edited:

Perhaps? Relative to who? Was the Gopher roster "worth" more than Wisconsin's? Iowa? Northwestern? Nebraska?
We're in the same boat as Wisconsin. Both teams would have been very good next year if they could have kept their players. We had a good chance to surpass them. But both teams had WAY too valuable of players. Gard said they got triple salary to leave.

Iowa & Northwestern will struggle. Will always be bottom-feeding. NW reached their absolute maximum height last year.

Nebraska is a big-paying team. They should improve.

Exactly. 9-11 in conference, beating the other low-budget teams...is about our high watermark.

This team was CLEARLY OBVIOUSLY FACTUALLY too valuable for us to keep. And this is not debatable.

Canisius lost two starters. Clearly their 266th ranked NET team was too valuable to keep together. We also lost Cooper and Battle the year before off the worst team of my life.

We weren't a good team last year.

We're in the same boat as Wisconsin. Both teams would have been very good next year if they could have kept their players. We had a good chance to surpass them. But both teams had WAY too valuable of players. Gard said they got triple salary to leave.

Iowa & Northwestern will struggle. Will always be bottom-feeding. NW reached their absolute maximum height last year.

Nebraska is a big-paying team. They should improve.
If Iowa and Northwestern are "bottom feeding" that makes Ben look even more pathetic because he is several steps below them.

Will always be bottom-feeding. NW reached their absolute maximum height last year.

Actually, they had identical records (both in and out of conference) two years in a row. It remains to be seen whether they will "always" be "bottom feeders."

Minnesota kid, Lu’Cye Patterson, possibly returning home to play at UMN from what I’m hearing.

He's not in the portal. Tampering perhaps?

Anyway, hope it's true because I like the pickup at this point. I actually thought we should have taken a chance on him a couple of years ago. Would have been a way better choice than Taurus Samuels. He won't be free I'm sure.

Top Bottom