Gopher Potential Portal Pursuits

What about Garcia and Fox? Why didn't they leave?
Because they are happy playing for the Gophers.
Payne and Hawkins were unhappy with their NIL cut.
Five other guys were unhappy with playing time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

99% about money...all of them

I fully agree. Would make everyone feel better to see some commitments and have a better sense of what the full roster is going to look like next year. But this process takes time and it simply isn't time to start assuming the worst yet.....If we are still sitting here with no commitments around the end of the month then it will be time to panic.
Well....lost our PG, got a serviceable big and a bench guy.

I'd say we are in panic mode

Well....lost our PG, got a serviceable big and a bench guy.

I'd say we are in panic mode
Some of you never leave panic mode. Not even May 1st yet and there are tons of players in the portal. If you want to panic feel free....I prefer to wait and see how it all plays out before heading for the bomb shelter.

Some of you never leave panic mode. Not even May 1st yet and there are tons of players in the portal. If you want to panic feel free....I prefer to wait and see how it all plays out before heading for the bomb shelter.
People acting like the season starts tomorrow

You were the one who said wait for the end of the month, well it's the end of the month and I'd say we are worse today than 2 weeks ago so....

You were the one who said wait for the end of the month, well it's the end of the month and I'd say we are worse today than 2 weeks ago so....
So the 26th is the end of the month.....weird.....I thought it was the 30th.

And I don't recall saying we had to be done with signings by the end of the month.....has been discussed that Hawkins signed on like May 8th last year and this year's season ended a week later so conceivably we could still be signing guys in mid May.

I get that it is easy to just assume the worst but there are still a ton of players in the portal, heck there are still guys entering the portal even now....so I don't see a reason to panic about the roster until the process of filling out the roster is done and we see where we end up.

Canisius lost two starters. Clearly their 266th ranked NET team was too valuable to keep together. We also lost Cooper and Battle the year before off the worst team of my life.

We weren't a good team last year.
Changing the subject is a typical tactic on here by the Ben-detractors.

But, like I said...Ben clearly put together a team that was far too valuable for us to keep.

Last edited:

If Iowa and Northwestern are "bottom feeding" that makes Ben look even more pathetic because he is several steps below them.
I got distracted by a post that wanted me to talk about all the other teams.

Ben assembled what would have been a very good team. But it was FAR TOO VALUABLE for us to keep. This is a FACT. And your points to rip on Ben are distraction, illogic, and utter nonsense.

It figures that when we might have an "IN" with a native son who is a decent player he would be the one of the relatively few players in CBB with loyalty.
$50K players might have loyalty when offered $75K.

But $200K players won't have loyalty when offered $400K or $600K.

Changing the subject is a typical tactic on here by the Ben-detractors.

But, like I said...Ben clearly put together a team that was far too valuable for us to keep.

I'm not a detractor. I just present facts. Unfortunately, that paints our coach in a bad light, because he's done nothing of significance yet. Was the shittiest Gopher team of my life also to valuable?

I'm not a detractor. I just present facts. Unfortunately, that paints our coach in a bad light, because he's done nothing of significance yet. Was the shittiest Gopher team of my life also to valuable?
What do you mean by that?

We lost Battle and Cooper off the shittiest team since I've been alive. Was that team also too valuable, like he is proclaiming?
So the point seems to be that our best players will leave whether we have a bad year or a marginally average year. So if we have a good year, our best players will stay?

EDIT: Garcia is an exception IMO, as it was reported when he returned that he could've made more NIL elsewhere (I believe Liebert stated that)

Would the gophers be better posting all their visits and contacts? Would it maybe help some players say hey...I am going to commit their before someone else takes that opportunity from me? Or maybe they are lacking more visits in all??? There is a lot of time, but also everyday more players are committing too. Gophers have some to fill and there are plenty of people out there that should be attracted to that. CBJ just needs to go down the list and start contacting to get visits. Would think be like the real estate market...more people you show the home too the better your chances! Maybe chances yet Hawkins stays and revokes the entry in the portal? Maybe Christie is likely to not go to the NBA yet??

You're not a detractor??
You present facts??

The only thing you do is sling mud.

The question was rhetorical. Then it's not all about the money.

At least he's right about one thing then. In case you haven't noticed, most teams that have the ability to stay old are doing that these days.
Old wins when it comes to the non-blue bloods. I have 0 against Ben - his kids are great for the U and I know he is trying to win every single game regardless of playing time. It simply hasn’t worked so far.

Old wins when it comes to the non-blue bloods. I have 0 against Ben - his kids are great for the U and I know he is trying to win every single game regardless of playing time. It simply hasn’t worked so far.

Well, first of all, we're not a blueblood and no amount of complaining about that is going to make us one. Secondly, even the bluebloods are taking in upperclassmen transfers. Whether Ben succeeds or not doesn't nullify what is the prevalent course of action these days.

Here are the numbers of incoming freshmen recruits for the conference teams (either they are listed as hard commits or for having signed a letter of intent (at least one or more of the latter I suspect will not end up playing at those schools)):

Illnois
2​
Indiana
1​
Iowa
2​
Maryland
2​
Mich St
3​
MICH
3​
Minn
2​
Nebraska
2​
NW
2​
OSU
2​
Oregon
1​
PSU
4​
Purdue
6​
Rutgers
5​
UCLA
1​
USC
1​
WASH
3​
Wisc
2​

12 of the 18 have two or fewer freshmen recruits.

Purdue is the clear outlier but Painter can afford to have a rebuilding year or two. I'm a bit surprised to see Rutgers having 5 but they did land two 5 stars amazingly.

So the 26th is the end of the month.....weird.....I thought it was the 30th.

And I don't recall saying we had to be done with signings by the end of the month.....has been discussed that Hawkins signed on like May 8th last year and this year's season ended a week later so conceivably we could still be signing guys in mid May.

I get that it is easy to just assume the worst but there are still a ton of players in the portal, heck there are still guys entering the portal even now....so I don't see a reason to panic about the roster until the process of filling out the roster is done and we see where we end up.
You have to admit, even trying to stay positive things are not feeling too great right now. I mean people are openly hoping a transfer from Macalaster will happen. What no one from Hamline available?

Obviously we will sign some people there is way too many in the portal not to, but if you were a betting man what would you say the chances are the team is overall better this coming season than last? Gun to your head what is your guess?

We are basically hoping this is Major League and we are the Indians. Its hard to stay positive in real time when you are watching that happen.

Top Bottom