Gopher Potential Portal Pursuits

For the most part, we are going to have to let the big boys fill their core roster and burn out their money. Then it is time for round 2. For now- go all in on Evans or an equivalent 6-4 to 6-6 wing that can score it. Get the rest when we can.

Would love Evans. Apparently Ole Miss was interested in him, but they just signed a Seton Hall transfer guard, so hopefully they are out of the mix now.

I believe Wisconsin is the only team in the conference who has yet to pick up a single transfer from the portal. Considering that they had 6 enter the portal and Tyler Wahl is out of eligibility, that has to be a little disconcerting. They have only two freshmen entering.

Iowa has one transfer commit. They have two incoming freshmen recruits. They had three exit the portal. They have one starter out of eligibility.
A certain demographic doesn’t appear to portal.

I honestly can't think of 1 reason you would take a kid who is going to redshirt. You get nothing that year, and the way FA works, if that player is worth anything they are getting 100000 offers to leave, and if they are terrible then you keep wasting a spot. Literally a total lose lose.

You don’t play 13 do you? I’d rather try something creative than giving it to Jackson Purcell.

For the most part, we are going to have to let the big boys fill their core roster and burn out their money. Then it is time for round 2. For now- go all in on Evans or an equivalent 6-4 to 6-6 wing that can score it. Get the rest when we can.

There are always treasures in the bargain bin. Just got to roll up your shirt sleeves and have patience.

There are always treasures in the bargain bin. Just got to roll up your shirt sleeves and have patience.
This.
What other option is there for the Gophers? They need to do exactly what you just said.
(You must be plagiarizing someone’s idea. It’s not like you to be this sharp.)

The visitors are done. They might have the transfers in place and will announce later on. The reserve at 5 might be Christian Reeves.

So, you're saying that Ben Johnson is giving up by April 25th? I wish I could say that's rubbish but I'm afraid that you might be right. Well, if watching is learning, Reeves should know a lot by now.

So, you're thinking that some soph player languishing in the portal might write in his profile: "Buy the first NIL year and get the second one at half price!"

The visitors are done. They might have the transfers in place and will announce later on. The reserve at 5 might be Christian Reeves.
They “might” have the transfers in place? Not too encouraging. You were correct in them having interest in Rigsby, so gonna assume you are correct on this stuff also. Dang.

They “might” have the transfers in place? Not too encouraging. You were correct in them having interest in Rigsby, so gonna assume you are correct on this stuff also. Dang.

So I guess the conversation went something like this:

CBJ: "Hi! This is coach Ben Johnson. I'm desperate."

Portal Player: "I'm getting desperate too!"

CBJ: "You wanna come here?"

Portal Player: "Sure."

CBJ: "Would you like to visit campus?"

Portal Player: "Nah, I'll see it eventually."

So I guess the conversation went something like this:

CBJ: "Hi! This is coach Ben Johnson. I'm desperate."

Portal Player: "I'm getting desperate too!"

CBJ: "You wanna come here?"

Portal Player: "Sure."

CBJ: "Would you like to visit campus?"

Portal Player: "Nah, I'll see it eventually."
Gosh, was just looking, there is like 530 point guards in the portal. Thought, “well, he will hit on one of these guys”. Guess not if elevenseven is correct.

I honestly can't think of 1 reason you would take a kid who is going to redshirt. You get nothing that year, and the way FA works, if that player is worth anything they are getting 100000 offers to leave, and if they are terrible then you keep wasting a spot. Literally a total lose lose.
If he redshirts, how is anyone going to know if he is something?

OK. Yes, they certainly have one, even if it's boring. I haven't figured Ben's out yet. Maybe others have as some seem to believe the only thing missing is $$.
Can we at least agree that Garcia is a good player?

And Christie? And Payne & Hawkins just got $500K.

So apparently Ben assembled a valuable team...right?

Gosh, was just looking, there is like 530 point guards in the portal. Thought, “well, he will hit on one of these guys”. Guess not if elevenseven is correct.

Well, I guess one of the "transfers in place" could be a point guard in the portal.

I've been pretty supportive of the coach but if he's settling for whatever comes easiest once again in the offseason and it doesn't work out, then it's clearly time to get another coach next spring. I don't know if getting another coach would help our anemic NIL situation but I doubt it could be any worse.

I'm positive.
Positive Johnson's getting fired in failure. I'm just not positive what day next March that'll happen.
You can't say that Johnson didn't put together a valuable team. WAY too valuable for us to keep.

I've been pretty supportive of the coach but if he's settling for whatever comes easiest once again in the offseason and it doesn't work out, then it's clearly time to get another coach next spring. I don't know if getting another coach would help our anemic NIL situation but I doubt it could be any worse.
Johnson's problem is he assembled a team that was WAY TOO VALUABLE for us to keep.

He needs to bring in worse players.

Johnson's problem is he assembled a team that was WAY TOO VALUABLE for us to keep.

If he had assembled a poorer team for this past season, there's a good likelihood that he would no longer be the coach. He had a good enough third year to earn a fourth but it's not like he crushed it in 2023-24.

So, you're thinking that some soph player languishing in the portal might write in his profile: "Buy the first NIL year and get the second one at half price!"

I think a couple of former Gophers may end up embracing that genius marketing strategy🤓

Make sure you get your cut🥳

Top Bottom