Gopher Illustrated: Dungy has agreed to be coach (rumor)

If you don't think our lack of a solid fan base has played a part in why we haven't been able to sustain any success than I think you're naive. Obviously the two things go hand in hand, but it has certainly played a part.

Dungy us a class act, he would never upstage a guy midseason. I don't doubt that he might have actually expressed interest in private or even have said "give me a call when Brews job is decided.". What do you expect him to say in public? Wheather last year or this he knows the power of his words and would not want to be responsible for some one else losing their job because of an errant statement. He knows we need him, and he knows what it would mean to a lot of young men at the U now and in the future. He could change the course of the program for the next hundred years

Honestly, after all that's happened, I can't believe anyone is taking this with even a grain of salt.

Meh. Like I said during all the Moss rumors last night (granted they had reports from actual credible sources), I'll believe it when I see it happen. Until then, this ain't nuthin'.

Even if you could sign Dungy....do you really want to?

Think about this scenario:
Dungy comes
Dungy Recruits
Dungy goes 6-6, 7-5, 7-5, 8-4, 6-6 in 5 years.....retires......

What happens if you get your dream guy, and he can't turn it around. It is better to not hire Dungy, because at least then there is still hope. When you get a guy like Dungy, if he fails, you can pretty much give up all hope.

I'm just saying that if there is even a partial truth here, dungy wouldn't let on. And when asked about it in public he has to deny it to save face forcall parties. I'm just sdtimgbyou can't rule it out because he said it in public. Didn't chilly say it was an opem competition between Jackson and rosenfels?

Fat fingers mobile device sorry for the bad grammar/spelling

Even if you could sign Dungy....do you really want to?

Think about this scenario:
Dungy comes
Dungy Recruits
Dungy goes 6-6, 7-5, 7-5, 8-4, 6-6 in 5 years.....retires......

What happens if you get your dream guy, and he can't turn it around. It is better to not hire Dungy, because at least then there is still hope. When you get a guy like Dungy, if he fails, you can pretty much give up all hope.
Yeah, what if? They just tried the untested wild card. Didn't exactly pan out. There's no guarantee no matter who gets the job next, but Dungy would at least give the fan base a boost, which it clearly needs right now.

Yeah, what if? They just tried the untested wild card. Didn't exactly pan out. There's no guarantee no matter who gets the job next, but Dungy would at least give the fan base a boost, which it clearly needs right now.

I am saying, if you actually got Dungy and failed. The program would be officially dead with no chance of a return until a couple of generations later.

That's a rather defeatist attitude. It would just be one more thing we tried that did not work. Of course, I'm not sure why I'm even posting on this thread.

I am saying, if you actually got Dungy and failed. The program would be officially dead with no chance of a return until a couple of generations later.

I don't think that is logical. I would prefer for us to hire the best possible coach we could get. If ,by some miracle of God, Dungy wanted this job, we would obviously want to hire him.

That's like saying, I don't want to date Jessica Alba because getting dumped by her would be so much worse than the pigs that usually get rid of me.

It's Mike Hohensee

also I found a checkbook in the skyway - hope that guy's kid did not lose it!

Dungy us a class act, he would never upstage a guy midseason. I don't doubt that he might have actually expressed interest in private or even have said "give me a call when Brews job is decided.". What do you expect him to say in public? Wheather last year or this he knows the power of his words and would not want to be responsible for some one else losing their job because of an errant statement. He knows we need him, and he knows what it would mean to a lot of young men at the U now and in the future. He could change the course of the program for the next hundred years

Slow down.

I'm shocked the GI guys would put their name out there on such a rumor. Especially one as beat up as Dungy to the Gophers.

I think we should just spend all our efforts on Al Golden.

Even if we get Dungy and he fails, it won't leave us dead for generations. And even if we get Dungy and we succeed beyond our wildest dreams, it won't leave is set for a century. If our next coach is a flop, that leaves us held back until that coach is replaced. And if they next coach does well, we aren't going to be able to coast of decades after decades. There are programs that can coast on reputation, but it takes an incredibly long period of time to build up that kind of reputation. And even powerful programs falter.

There is no way that Dungy will coach the Gophers. The day we get Dungy as our football coach, is the day we hire a basketball coach, who has a National Championship on his resume.

+1 And even IF we won a national championship with Dungy, there would be nowhere to go but down from that point, and that is depressing to think about. And we would just be waiting for him to leave us once he catapulted us to the top, I can't handle that kind of rejection. Too many bad things can happen, so no thanks Tony.

Fire Brew immediately following the Illinois game. This give Dungy two weeks to get prepared to beat Iowa.***

*** I realize this rumor has 0 chance of happening and the scenario I just laid out has less than 0 chance, but man, what a scenario!

Wow. What an attitude.

This sounds like Brewster's philosophy on MarQueis Gray. "If I put him in at QB, we might actually start winning some football games, and that would raise people's expectations. I just can't have that type of pressure put on me."

This is why it will be almost impossible for the Gophers to be one of the top eschelon in college football. As soon as the wins stop, the fanbase bolts. And this from a guy who cares enough about the team to come on and post here. Imagine what the average sports fan thinks...

But how does this effect Tim Brewster's ability to call a 2-minute drill properly or Adam Weber's ability throw a football accurately?

Marc Trestman would not be a bad choice. The Candian football legue helps prepare coaches to be great head coaches in the states.

Marc Trestman would not be a bad choice. The Candian football legue helps prepare coaches to be great head coaches in the states.

Please list examples not named Bud Grant.

But how does this effect Tim Brewster's ability to call a 2-minute drill properly or Adam Weber's ability throw a football accurately?

We wouldn't have Tim Brewster or Adam Weber with a better fanbase.

From the media guide:

COMPLETION PERCENTAGE (MIN. 300 ATT.)
Name (Comp.-Att.) Pct.
1. Adam Weber, 2007- (704-1226) .574
2. Mark Carlson, 1976-79 (255-447) .572
3. Cory Sauter, 1994-97 (539-945) .570
4. Asad Abdul-Khaliq, 2000-03 (481-847) .568
5. Bryan Cupito, 2003-06 (513-918) 558
6. Travis Cole, 2000-01 (205-367) .558
7. Mike Hohensee, 1981-82 (392-722) .543
8. Scott Schaffner, 1987-91 (278-515) .540
9. Marquel Fleetwood, 1989-92 (465-876) .531
10. Billy Cockerham, 1996-99 (252-485) .520

Some people seem to think that the right and wrong coach choices are obvious, and the right choice leads us to the promised land forever, and the wrong one leads us to eternal damnation. None of it is so obvious.

Top Bottom