Gopher Illustrated: Dungy has agreed to be coach (rumor)

Maroon

This guy gets it!
Reaction score
A staff member of Gopher Illustrated has posted a rumor from a "credible" source that Dungy has agreed to be coach. They're saying they don't believe it, but they posted it anyway since it's from a "credible" source.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Where?

Agreed to be whose coach?

I'm not up to speed on just who is looking for one.

A staff member of Gopher Illustrated has posted a rumor from a "credible" source that Dungy has agreed to be coach. They're saying they don't believe it, but they posted it anyway since it's from a "credible" source.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Is the source Dr. Don?

skeptical-cat-is-fraught-with-skepticism1.jpg

skeptical_hippo.jpg

As much as I am a fan of posting cats, that hippo, or as Junie B says Hippo-Pot-Something, is win.

I would like to reduce the number of rumors by one.

I will not be a candidate for head coach of the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.

One rumor down, 18,478 to go.

It's of course possible that Dungy could coach here, but rumors, even those from "reliable sources" tend to be unreliable. We'll see.

Can anyone else with a GI account corroborate this? Or is Maroon just trying to incite acts of self-flagellation on this board?

Color me "highly skeptical" at best.

(Of course, I've already texted several people on the .000001% chance that this is true, just so I can say they heard it from me.)

My heart says: "Believe it, toss your chair like Bobby Knight and do a jig that would make Michael Flatley proud", but my head says: "Never going to happen you ignorant fool, now finish your bag of Funyuns and get back to adding Chris Elliott movies to your Netflix Queue."

Well there... whomever we hire is now going to be a letdown.

Thanks a lot Gopher Illustrated.

Could you even imagine? I can't let myself. I just can't. But could you? Holy cow!!!!

Poor ol' Dungy. Looks like he will have to publicly say it all again this week:

Very little interest in ever coaching again;
Even less interest in coaching college football;
Absolutely zero interest in coaching at Minnesota.

Dungy is just what Minnesota football needs right now. Too bad such "rumors" are obviously pranks, jokes, lies or whatever.

I don't believe that Dungy would have agreed to secret terms with Brewster still on the payroll. maybe there has been some talk, but I don't see Dungy agreeing to take a job that is held by another person.

But, yes. Matt and Zach basically said that they have a 'source' who has this information. They also said that not only do they not believe the info, but the source they got the info from doesn't even believe it.

It is a rumor about a rumor, posted just to get a reaction as far as I can tell (and quite irresponsible, if you ask me).

My heart says: "Believe it, toss your chair like Bobby Knight and do a jig that would make Michael Flatley proud", but my head says: "Never going to happen you ignorant fool, now finish your bag of Funyuns and get back to adding Chris Elliott movies to your Netflix Queue."

I like Funyuns. Seriously, I do.

Maybe he just signed on to be on the sidelines as a consultant.

I don't believe that Dungy would have agreed to secret terms with Brewster still on the payroll. maybe there has been some talk, but I don't see Dungy agreeing to take a job that is held by another person.

But, yes. Matt and Zach basically said that they have a 'source' who has this information. They also said that not only do they not believe the info, but the source they got the info from doesn't even believe it.

It is a rumor about a rumor, posted just to get a reaction as far as I can tell (and quite irresponsible, if you ask me).

Why is the source passing along info that he/she doesn't believe to be true? And why would GI post said info? The whole thing is another demonstration on why rumors usually worthless.

A rumor, like a chain, is only as good as its weakest link. A source may be generally "reliable", whatever that means, but if their source, or the source prior to that isn't reliable, then the rumor isn't very reliable.

A rumor, like a chain, is only as good as its weakest link. A source may be generally "reliable", whatever that means, but if their source, or the source prior to that isn't reliable, then the rumor isn't very reliable.

Right. But what if it is reliable? What's if it's tr... never mind.

I tried to corroborate the rumor on Gopher Illustrated but couldn't find it. Help?

Zero chance. Best-case he's agreed to consult on the new hire/be on the search committee and someone got over-excited.

And why would GI post said info?

Because the thread in question has 2,229 views since last night. The next closest thread has 373 views. If not for Moss or the Twins, someone in the local media would mention the rumor along with Gopher Illustrated by name. Great publicity.

"the rumor that we heard said Tony Dungy will become the Gopher head coach and it is already a done deal. "

Lots of good stuff in that thread.

This Dungy stuff is like trying to kill Rasputin, IT...JUST....WON'T....DIE!

I recall that Tubby was all but gone to Auburn, and then to Oregon, as rumored by "credible" sources. What "credible" means these days, I have no idea?

here is what matt o'connell posted << There is a rumor floating around that the next head coach at Minnesota may have already agreed to the job in principle. I have confimred that my source is confident that he is being told the truth by his source, and the sources source is also telling the truth. We can not confirm that the rumor is true and frankly AZJ, the source, and I all tend to believe it is not, but there is a very small amount of smoke so I thought I would let you guys know. If (huge IF) more comes of this we will let you guys know, but for now it is at least something to talk about.

this is irresponsible and stupid on so many levels. have we learned nothing from gi and coaching rumors? kiffin to minnesota, sean miller to minnesota. matt has gone on record to many people that they didnt care about the kiffin debacle because it drew so much traffic to their site. if matt is dumb enough to think that maturi would do this then he's dumb enough to post a "credible" rumor but then says he doesn't believe it, oh wait. hey matt, what happens if brew turns it around? does he still get fired since a deal is already in place.

Top Bottom