Gopher Illustrated: Dungy has agreed to be coach (rumor)

Day dreaming (and pipe dreaming) I thought, "Why not offer Dungy a five year deal in which he would build a staff to carry on after the five year stretch ended - in effect, he'd be rescuing his alma mater and only responsible fo five years (heck, make it four).

Day dreaming (and pipe dreaming) I thought, "Why not offer Dungy a five year deal in which he would build a staff to carry on after the five year stretch ended - in effect, he'd be rescuing his alma mater and only responsible fo five years (heck, make it four).

I like it. To me, that's the only way to appeal to him. Tell him that we need him to set things right and restore the tradition. Then he can move on. Man, that would be awesome if it worked. Sigh.

OK, I will say it. Dungy bores the heck out of me. He may be a man of high character but he is borrrrrrrrrrring.

I agree. However I am more concerned about his lack of college coaching experience. He may have been a great pro coach but we are dealing with kids here. Not professional athletes.

On the other hand he is highly respected and would sell tickets (at least for the first two years) and would infuse instant pride back into the football program.

I don't think a packed stadium and top 10 recruiting classes would bore you.

Yeah good God, the ring on Dungy's finger doesn't bore me either. I cannot honestly believe that anyone in their right mind would have anything negative to say about Dungy. "No college coaching experience." Who gives a flying J, he won a Superbowl, the Superbowl pits the two best pro teams against one another.

There is nothing else to be said, if this obviously fabricated rumor is true, and we somehow see Dungy roaming the sidelines next fall, the program will be better off than it has been in over 40 years.

Gopher fans reach a new low almost EVERYDAY! What a joke!

I don't think a packed stadium and top 10 recruiting classes would bore you.

You don't get a top 10 recruiting class instantly because Dungy is the coach. Look at Tubbys recruiting classes as an example. Another example would be Stanford after Bill Walsh returned there, heck he won multiple super bowls and was regarded as a coaching genius before returning to Stanford. Dungy is a great coach but you have to have realistic expectations.

You don't get a top 10 recruiting class instantly because Dungy is the coach. Look at Tubbys recruiting classes as an example. Another example would be Stanford after Bill Walsh returned there, heck he won multiple super bowls and was regarded as a coaching genius before returning to Stanford. Dungy is a great coach but you have to have realistic expectations.

Tubby is nowhere near the level of Dungy.

I agree. However I am more concerned about his lack of college coaching experience. He may have been a great pro coach but we are dealing with kids here. Not professional athletes.

On the other hand he is highly respected and would sell tickets (at least for the first two years) and would infuse instant pride back into the football program.

Yeah, that was my thought and my question regarding Dungy, the whole lack of any coaching experience whatsoever. I mean let's face it, being a college coach is an entirely different gig and takes on an entirely different set of requirements than a professional coach has to deal with, and I'm talking about all the stuff beyond the football field. But then again, I would imagine him to be excellent with college age kids, very patient and a true teacher, and have no doubt but that he could grow into the job.

And if he did come, wow. I don't think we'd have to ever be worrying about defense under his regime, and that would be reward enough in itself. :)

I would like to add that Maturi was smiling at the Volleyball game on Sunday. Can't be a coincidence!

Yeah, that was my thought and my question regarding Dungy, the whole lack of any coaching experience whatsoever. I mean let's face it, being a college coach is an entirely different gig and takes on an entirely different set of requirements than a professional coach has to deal with, and I'm talking about all the stuff beyond the football field. But then again, I would imagine him to be excellent with college age kids, very patient and a true teacher, and have no doubt but that he could grow into the job.

And if he did come, wow. I don't think we'd have to ever be worrying about defense under his regime, and that would be reward enough in itself. :)

If Peyton Manning only had a 18 year old son then we would be set. Dungy is a great coach and his record speaks for itself but the differences between college and the pros can be difficult
to adjust to. There is still the minor detail that his wife won't leave Florida, which is why he commutted to Indy each week. Cannot really commute in the college game with it being a year round job traveling to recruit.

If Peyton Manning only had a 18 year old son then we would be set. Dungy is a great coach and his record speaks for itself but the differences between college and the pros can be difficult to adjust to.

Well, Dungy doesn't need Peyton Manning to be a great football coach. He's just a great coach, and that's all there is to it. Manning just made him that much better.

And I agree, the differences between the two jobs are significant, as are the requirements (again, talking about all the duties, responsibilities, and obligations that take place off the football field), and that would be a big adjustment, but I feel that Dungy is level-headed enough to probably be able to do that.

At any rate, he would instantly restore legitimacy to our program, and we would be looking to be on the rise and a real up and comer in my opinion. He could have his pick of assistants, recruiters, coordinators, position coaches, and hopefully recruits. And Dungy can coach and teach defense like nobodies business. I mean he's an excellent coach.

But, I'm keeping this under the header of 'Pipe Dream'. It's great to dream, but I have learned to do so reservedly when it comes to subjects like this.

I have it under good authority* that the plan is for Dungy to be here for a minimum of three years. Here is the kicker. Brew is NOT gone. He is assistant head coach, and learns how to assemble a staff and work with them to create a game plan. He alleviates Dungy's recruiting commitment by becoming head recruiting-in-chief, so Dungy can spend as much time in Florida with his family as possible.

*good authority, is an imaginary place in my mind where I go to for happytime.

If Peyton Manning only had a 18 year old son then we would be set. Dungy is a great coach and his record speaks for itself but the differences between college and the pros can be difficult
to adjust to. There is still the minor detail that his wife won't leave Florida, which is why he commutted to Indy each week. Cannot really commute in the college game with it being a year round job traveling to recruit.

With all of the off season workouts, draft, longer season, and earlier start/later finish, I would say a NFL coach puts in more hours than a college coach.

That's right. You are better than all of us due to the simple fact that a football program that you have absolutely nothing to do with is more successful than the football program we all support.

before this is over dungy will have redefined the list on how to say no to rumors.

I would like to add that Maturi was smiling at the Volleyball game on Sunday. Can't be a coincidence!

I saw Maturi eating dinner with Prexy B at Applebee's last night and Maturi was on his cell phone. Then, when the call was over Maturi did a fist pump, started smiling and gave Prexy B a huge hug - looked like some sort of celebration.

MPLS hawk with the same noise pollution

Let me guess you will be a frequent pest and turn into LakesBison part deux, you guy's should meet two pea's in a pod.

before this is over dungy will have redefined the list on how to say no to rumors.

I know, and that's just further confirmation of how desperate we feel as fans. I myself am fricken DESPERATE for a savior to come in here and lift us out of this mess we've been in for so long that for me it's just as long as forever. That's all I know as a fan of this team is futility, other than the sickeningly brief Holtz hope and a few bright years under Mason when it seemed like anything might be possible.

MSPC%ck, your the pathetic lame cornhawk fan who has nothin better to do than troll our boards and tell how bad our team sucks. Yes Gophers Football sucks but guess what, in Minnesota we dont let college football run our lives we will be enjoying the Twins game tonight and Moss killing the Jets on Monday Night Football. After the Cornhawks go to the Capital One bowl what do you have??? NOthin, nadda, wrestling bwahahahahaa lmao at pathetic Iowa fans.

MSPC%ck, your the pathetic lame cornhawk fan who has nothin better to do than troll our boards and tell how bad our team sucks. Yes Gophers Football sucks but guess what, in Minnesota we dont let college football run our lives we will be enjoying the Twins game tonight and Moss killing the Jets on Monday Night Football. After the Cornhawks go to the Capital One bowl what do you have??? NOthin, nadda, wrestling bwahahahahaa lmao at pathetic Iowa fans.

But wait they have their own professional tea- oh never mind.

Do they still have the Barnstormers?

Of course it is not true. But, if it were, I'd venture to guess this team would win 8 or 9 easy. He's that good.

The University of Minnesota and I have come to an agreement

I have decided not to accept the position of football headcoach, and they have agreed not to give me a salary of any kind.

I would like to reduce the number of rumors by one.

I will not be a candidate for head coach of the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.

One rumor down, 18,478 to go.

It's of course possible that Dungy could coach here, but rumors, even those from "reliable sources" tend to be unreliable. We'll see.

He was just thinking about how he gets to go to Madison this weekend.

This is why it will be almost impossible for the Gophers to be one of the top eschelon in college football. As soon as the wins stop, the fanbase bolts. And this from a guy who cares enough about the team to come on and post here. Imagine what the average sports fan thinks...

Speaking of a good joke. how about a pigeon living in Minneapolis that trolls the Gopher board. Get a life you turd and stay south of the border where you WANT to live but can't find a job.

Speaking of a good joke. how about a pigeon living in Minneapolis that trolls the Gopher board. Get a life you turd and stay south of the border where you WANT to live but can't find a job.

Aren't there some egg farms down in Iowa looking for some quality control people?? Why don't you go check it out, MspHawk?

This is why it will be almost impossible for the Gophers to be one of the top eschelon in college football. As soon as the wins stop, the fanbase bolts. And this from a guy who cares enough about the team to come on and post here. Imagine what the average sports fan thinks...

Yeah, that's why the Gophers haven't done better. It's the fans' fault. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom