Gopher 22-23 Transfer Portal Needs/Watch List

Carr replaces Oberg:

Carr was a Big 12 Honorable Mention guard at Kansas. She is from my town of Eden Prairie.

If I was a guard in the transfer portal I would not choose the Gophers because the Gophers are loaded now at guard. Well maybe if I had only one year of eligibility left.

Last edited:

Gophers could use another center, that's all.

Carr was a Big 12 Honorable Mention guard at Kansas. She is from my town of Eden Prairie.

If I was a guard in the transfer portal I would not choose the Gophers because the Gophers are loaded now at guard. Well maybe if I had only one year of eligibility left.

I wouldn't say a team totaling three freshman guards is loaded at guard. We can barely field a lineup.

Y’all are funny if you think a very high profile player is going to come out of this portal. I still believe Minnesota can be a successful team next year, but it’s going to be a winning by committee type of team. That’s better anyway.

I believe Prohaska and possible Hakes still have a good chance at becoming Gophers. The other 3 scholarships would go to posts. Hope to find one or 2 more to contribute. However they have 3 right now who will play.

This team needs depth. And upper class leadership. It has some very good young talent coming in. Have reasonable expectations about what is in the portal.

Y’all are funny if you think a very high profile player is going to come out of this portal. I still believe Minnesota can be a successful team next year, but it’s going to be a winning by committee type of team. That’s better anyway.

I believe Prohaska and possible Hakes still have a good chance at becoming Gophers. The other 3 scholarships would go to posts. Hope to find one or 2 more to contribute. However they have 3 right now who will play.

This team needs depth. And upper class leadership. It has some very good young talent coming in. Have reasonable expectations about what is in the portal.

Looking at the known visits to date:

One weekend they had the following: (all would be 1-year grad transfers)

Abby Prohaska- Notre Dame, 5'10 Guard
Rachel Hakes- Fairfield, 6'0 Guard
Caitlyn Harper- Cal Baptist, 6'1 Forward
Yo'Myris (Nickname Yummy) Morris- TCU, 6'3 Forward

This latest weekend:
Destinee Oberg only confirmed-and committed/likely waited to see if Audi Crooks was gonna commit before deciding.

Harper and Morris are Forwards. Harper also visited Purdue this last weekend. Unsure who else plans to or have visited.

This latest weekend:
Destinee Oberg only confirmed-and committed/likely waited to see if Audi Crooks was gonna commit before deciding.

Harper and Morris are Forwards. Harper also visited Purdue this last weekend. Unsure who else plans to or have visited.
Would love to see all four be gophers.

Rumor has it Molly Davis from Central Michigan may be on campus this weekend.

Davis scored the most points and played the most minutes for the team.

Her field goal shooting percentage was .397 this last season.

Her 3-point percentage was .280.

She had 112 assists.

She had a whopping 97 turnovers this last season.

She is 5-7.

She has experience, being a junior becoming a senior.

She appears to be a leader since high school and possesses Whalen's quality character attributes.

She would project to a veteran presence at point guard and benefit from Lindsey Whalen's coaching.

This latest weekend:

Small forward Caitlyn Harper would be the best pickup. She was WAC Player of the Year. She scored an average of 17.8 points and 5.9 rebounds per game. She made 53% of her shots.

Small forward Caitlyn Harper would be the best pickup. She was WAC Player of the Year. She scored an average of 17.8 points and 5.9 rebounds per game. She made 53% of her shots.
shes not a sf, shes a pf/c

Davis scored the most points and played the most minutes for the team.

Her field goal shooting percentage was .397 this last season.

Her 3-point percentage was .280.

She had 112 assists.

She had a whopping 97 turnovers this last season.

She is 5-7.

She has experience, being a junior becoming a senior.

She appears to be a leader since high school and possesses Whalen's quality character attributes.

She would project to a veteran presence at point guard and benefit from Lindsey Whalen's coaching.
I dont know much about her except her stats but she did shoot 39% from 3 as a freshman and 38% as a soph, shot close to 49% from the field those 2 years, was also 1st team all mac her soph year. turnovers can be a concern but when you play close to 40 mins a game and have the ball in your hands all game turnovers are gonna be high. looks like she missed 7 or 8 games this year due to injury so maybe that led to her shooting numbers being lower

shes not a sf, shes a pf/c

OK thanks.

I see she had 51 blocks and 189 rebounds.

My reasoning: She once played some time at point guard to good result. She attempted 95 3-pointers this season including 9 attempts against CalPoly. The Gophers don't need a starting junior power forward, with Mallory Heyer coming in. Harper would be a 2-year starter. The gophers have been repeatedly trashed on defense inside, so maybe defense needs to size up -- AKA a power forward defender that can shoot 3's to the small forward spot.

Last edited:

OK thanks.

My reasoning: She once played some time at point guard to good result. She attempted 95 3-pointers this season including 9 attempts against CalPoly. The Gophers don't need a starting junior power forward, with Mallory Heyer coming in. Harper would be a 2-year starter. The gophers have been repeatedly trashed on defense inside, so maybe defense needs to size up -- AKA a power forward defender that can shoot 3's to the small forward spot.

Or the Gophers can continue to mauled on defense inside.

Ohio State this season usually emphasized outside shooting -- except during the gophers they went inside. Perpetual swiss cheese defense inside and undersized. Guards playing small forward.

Or the Gophers can continue to mauled on defense inside.

Ohio State this season usually emphasized outside shooting -- except during the gophers they went inside. Perpetual swiss cheese defense inside and undersized. Guards playing small forward.

Let's have strong defense for a change instead of the 3 guard defense fiasco year after year.

Last edited:

OK thanks.

The Gophers currently have 8 players on the roster, they need players at every postition still. Whether Heyer comes in and starts or not doesnt matter. They need to bring in the best players they can to compete for playing time.

Last edited:

Went on a tour of the "new" athletic facilities with a group of people today and we weren't able to go see the women's bb facilities due to a "recruiting event" there. This makes clear to me that they have recruits on campus today and I am willing to bet they are one or more potential transfers.

Rumor has it Molly Davis from Central Michigan may be on campus this weekend.

Boardroom names Molly Davis as one of the notable "best" players in the portal, not that Boardroom is the authority or anything.

Last edited:

I would guess that the Gophers really badly want to sign 6' 3" post forward Yo'Myris "Yummy" Morris. The Gophers are following her Twitter account.

Veteran experience entering her senior season, which is perfect. Academic All-Big 12 second team.

7.4 points and 4.5 rebounds this last season.

Ranked #74 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school, a 4-star prospect.

I coach high school basketball. One year we graduated a lot and then our best player left and transferred to another school because they didn’t think we would good the next year. We made it state the following season. I would do just about anything to manifest that for next seasons Gophers. I understand the friendship, so that is hard, but Jazz was not this great player. What a slap in the face to the young ladies who are choosing to stay here because they want to win in Minnesota. Scalia started and made a difference as a freshman and all 3 guards Borowicz, Braun and Battle come out of HS higher ranked then Scalia. Clearly they are going to need some help. Hope they get a little chip on their shoulder to prove her wrong.

I coach high school basketball. One year we graduated a lot and then our best player left and transferred to another school because they didn’t think we would good the next year. We made it state the following season. I would do just about anything to manifest that for next seasons Gophers. I understand the friendship, so that is hard, but Jazz was not this great player. What a slap in the face to the young ladies who are choosing to stay here because they want to win in Minnesota. Scalia started and made a difference as a freshman and all 3 guards Borowicz, Braun and Battle come out of HS higher ranked then Scalia. Clearly they are going to need some help. Hope they get a little chip on their shoulder to prove her wrong.
A slap in the face to 2 active players that choose to stay here and 1 of the 2 didn't play and both were freshman? .. with the hope we get great players from the portal when our only real recruiter was preparing for her new head coaching job. If we are going to congratulate assistant coaches for leaving to take on a head coaching job, then we should at least try to understand a player(s) reasons for leaving even if unknown.

A slap in the face to 2 active players that choose to stay here and 1 of the 2 didn't play and both were freshman? .. with the hope we get great players from the portal when our only real recruiter was preparing for her new head coaching job. If we are going to congratulate assistant coaches for leaving to take on a head coaching job, then we should at least try to understand a player(s) reasons for leaving even if unknown.
Its pretty apparent who you are so I understand why you always have her side but you gotta understand how the "I wanna play with good players" comment looks from the other side. It comes off as a shot at her teammates and future Gophers and no matter what that comment is gonna be brought up alot the next couple years on here.

Last edited:

Good point, but if her career was over, why she would go into the portal?

Being a 6' 1" guard with only one year of eligibility, she would be a good veteran fit with the young guards.

Ranke's stats were not very good: .320 field goal percentage her last year played.

Her freshman year was good but then just so-so. She does get rebounds.

She's from Minnesota.

It's a toss up.
Ranke hasnt played in year and a half and is coming off a real serious back injury where her career was thought to be over. Dont think Id take her

Being a 6' 1" guard with only one year of eligibility, she would be a good veteran fit with the young guards coming up.

Yet Ranke's stats were not very good:

.320 field goal percentage her last year played.

Her freshman year was good and talented the 2nd year but then so-so since then.

She's from Minnesota and an inspirational story.

The injury was serious.

According to WBBBLOG:

Total portal transfers: 1,176
Power 5 transfers (included in total): 243
Grad transfers (not in total): 329

Total transfers in, new school noted: 370
Power 5 transfers in: 107
Non P5 D1 transfers in: 210

Teams with the most impact transfers in so far:

Maryland: 3
Tennessee: 3
Louisville: 2
Indiana: 2
LSU: 2
Georgia: 2

Maryland with coach Brenda Frese (once Whalen's coach at MN) was hammered with transfers out -- but players are lined up to step in.

Tennessee will be a force.

Louisville with coach Jeff Walz, of the Brenda Frese coaching tree and a coach for Whalen at MN, benefits another year from the transfer portal.

One team with a tough off-season is Iowa. Superstar Caitlin Clark will not be in college forever.

That stunning #2 Iowa loss to #10 Creighton must sting this long off-season.

That's Karma. That's what you get when you played with poor sportsmanship during the season.

When the MN Fab Four rolls over Iowa in a few years, take the high road with gratiousness, unlike classless chokers Iowa.

Former Gophers:

10. Jasmine Powell, 5-6, G, Jr., Tennessee

The transfer portal might give Kellie Harper the best team she has had at Tennessee. With Jackson as a scorer with size, Franklin as a rebounder and defender and Powell as a pure point guard, Harper has added much more than she lost this offseason. Before leaving Minnesota last season after 19 games, Powell was averaging 5.7 assists. She was also a double-figure scorer in each of her three seasons with the Gophers.

11. Sara Scalia, 5-10, G, Sr., Indiana

With all the success the Hoosiers have had the past two seasons -- one Elite Eight and another Sweet 16 -- 3-point shooting was the one area where they fell short. With Parrish and Scalia now in the fold, perimeter shooting should turn into a strength. Scalia's 17.8 points per game at Minnesota last season were good for eighth in the Big Ten, and she made 41.3% of her 3-pointers.

One team with a tough off-season is Iowa. Superstar Caitlin Clark will not be in college forever.

That's Karma. That's what you get when you played with poor sportsmanship during the season.

Not sure what this has to do with our portal needs; but we've dropped 7 straight to the Hawkeyes. We are in serious need of some Hawkeye-like passion.

Not sure what this has to do with our portal needs; but we've dropped 7 straight to the Hawkeyes. We are in serious need of some Hawkeye-like passion.
I understand. Good point.

Want to see passion? Watch those videos of Mara Braun going toe to toe with Paige Buekers. Coming to the NCAA soon.

When the MN Fab Four rolls over Iowa in a few years, take the high road with gratiousness, unlike classless chokers Iowa.

what does this have to do with portal needs or the gophers in general?

Top Bottom