Gopher 22-23 Transfer Portal Needs/Watch List

bball_craz_31

Reaction score
With the Gophers 22-23 team now with a total of 9 players (possibly 8 if another rumored transfer occurs) coming in for next season, the team will without a doubt be looking to hit the Transfer Portal HARD!

Now I wouldn’t say I’m overly confident that they will bring in an All-American or this massive program changing level player. I would love to be wrong at that, but time will tell.

However, I do think, especially with over 400 players in the portal, it’s not out of the question to find another Deja Winters who slowly but surely became a massive part of the team this year. One thing is IN MY OPINON, the team is okay on guards next year. That should not be the focus (unless one of those massive gets/highly talented guards is someone they have a legit shot at) on guards.

Guard Rotation next season:

PG: Amaya Battle/Katie Borowicz

SG: Sara Scalia/Mara Braun

?: Alexia Smith (possible candidate for transfer with two 6’0 highly rated freshman guards coming in

The team literally could start Scalia, Battle and Braun next season. All can handle the ball, and all can score, and Amaya could allow Mara and Sara to roam off the ball more as she is likely the most calm and strong with the ball in her hands creating for teammates.

Once again, what will likely be the main need is posts/forward. Yes, Mallory Heyer and Nia Holloway are coming in and both could take over those Small Forward and/or Power Forward positions. Rose could take over that starting Center position as well however you still need depth at both positions if either foul trouble, injuries, or freshman are not as ready as they could be at the start of next season.

Now here are some names that the team could go after or maybe should go after (also remember, we don’t necessarily know who is all in the portal if not reported or posted)

Destiny Oberg- 6’3 Post transferring from Arkansas (from Holy Angels High School and teammates of LBK) 2 years of eligibility remaining

-issues may be stamina or ability to stay on the court but it’s a big body and post that has MN ties

Sophie Haydon- 6’3 Forward transferring from George Washington (from Minnetonka High School) 3 (possibly 4) years of eligibility remaining

-a stretch forward who might not be a star, but possible backup or depth at the forward position who can hit jump shots

Ladazhia Williams- 6’4 forward transferring from Missouri/Grad Transfer-1 year of eligibility left

-an active and big forward. Has SEC experience, could provide athleticism and depth

Aijha Blackwell- 6’0 Guard/Wing transferring from Missouri/1 possibly 2 years of eligility remaining

-this one might be a long shot, but she is one of the best known to be in the portal. Averaged a double-double in the SEC, so guessing could thrive in the big ten.

Peanut Tuitele- 6’1 forward transferring from Colorado/Grad Transfer

-Starting in 31 games for a NCAA tournament team. Can hit the outside shot.

Other teams/rosters to watch would be Georgia, Texas A&M, Missouri State, Mississippi State, Virginia, Arizona State, or Illinois that either have a new coach coming in and/or a previous coach leaving so could have players looking to leave.

With another losing season in the record books, and with at least four or five players abandoning ship for reasons unknown, why would any highly rated player be interested in playing for the Gophers? I expect Lindsay will have to settle for the same mediocre transfer talent (Winters being the exception) as in the past.

Carr would make alot of sense for us
If you liked Powell. You'll get that, and a lot more, with Christianna Carr.
She is from Minnesota - the only state where we can recruit/ get transfer players.

With the Gophers 22-23 team now with a total of 9 players (possibly 8 if another rumored transfer occurs) coming in for next season, the team will without a doubt be looking to hit the Transfer Portal HARD!

Now I wouldn’t say I’m overly confident that they will bring in an All-American or this massive program changing level player. I would love to be wrong at that, but time will tell.

However, I do think, especially with over 400 players in the portal, it’s not out of the question to find another Deja Winters who slowly but surely became a massive part of the team this year. One thing is IN MY OPINON, the team is okay on guards next year. That should not be the focus (unless one of those massive gets/highly talented guards is someone they have a legit shot at) on guards.

Guard Rotation next season:

PG: Amaya Battle/Katie Borowicz

SG: Sara Scalia/Mara Braun

?: Alexia Smith (possible candidate for transfer with two 6’0 highly rated freshman guards coming in

The team literally could start Scalia, Battle and Braun next season. All can handle the ball, and all can score, and Amaya could allow Mara and Sara to roam off the ball more as she is likely the most calm and strong with the ball in her hands creating for teammates.

Once again, what will likely be the main need is posts/forward. Yes, Mallory Heyer and Nia Holloway are coming in and both could take over those Small Forward and/or Power Forward positions. Rose could take over that starting Center position as well however you still need depth at both positions if either foul trouble, injuries, or freshman are not as ready as they could be at the start of next season.

Now here are some names that the team could go after or maybe should go after (also remember, we don’t necessarily know who is all in the portal if not reported or posted)

Destiny Oberg- 6’3 Post transferring from Arkansas (from Holy Angels High School and teammates of LBK) 2 years of eligibility remaining

-issues may be stamina or ability to stay on the court but it’s a big body and post that has MN ties

Sophie Haydon- 6’3 Forward transferring from George Washington (from Minnetonka High School) 3 (possibly 4) years of eligibility remaining

-a stretch forward who might not be a star, but possible backup or depth at the forward position who can hit jump shots

Ladazhia Williams- 6’4 forward transferring from Missouri/Grad Transfer-1 year of eligibility left

-an active and big forward. Has SEC experience, could provide athleticism and depth

Aijha Blackwell- 6’0 Guard/Wing transferring from Missouri/1 possibly 2 years of eligility remaining

-this one might be a long shot, but she is one of the best known to be in the portal. Averaged a double-double in the SEC, so guessing could thrive in the big ten.

Peanut Tuitele- 6’1 forward transferring from Colorado/Grad Transfer

-Starting in 31 games for a NCAA tournament team. Can hit the outside shot.

Other teams/rosters to watch would be Georgia, Texas A&M, Missouri State, Mississippi State, Virginia, Arizona State, or Illinois that either have a new coach coming in and/or a previous coach leaving so could have players looking to leave.
a Freshman PG in the BIG is not a good recipe.
With Kadi leaving this is falling apart.

I dont understand why everyone thinks they are just gonna play all freshman next year. The staff has already said they wanna add at least a guard and a couple bigs in the transfer portal.

She is from Minnesota - the only state where we can recruit/ get transfer players.
your posts are very predictable, I'll give you that

Not really from Minnesota. She left as part of the Carr coach/player package deal at Kansas State. (If memory serves, they left before high school but it may have been while she was in high school...)

I dont understand why everyone thinks they are just gonna play all freshman next year. The staff has already said they wanna add at least a guard and a couple bigs in the transfer portal.
First of all, they have already said they are expecting a lot right away from these four. Having had conversations both with the coaches and the recruits they will be playing barring injury.

Not really from Minnesota. She left as part of the Carr coach/player package deal at Kansas State. (If memory serves, they left before high school but it may have been while she was in high school...)
She made it to high school as she Played at Minnetonka in a championship game against Hopkins.

Yeah a two-time state champ who learned under Paige Bueckers for 3 years of high school ball. But right she probably a dud as a freshman right? And to make sure I got this accurate...if a kid stays home... they won't be anything good, but we praise Kneepkens and Johnson at Utah or any kid that leaves.... despite the four coming in ALL RANKED HIGHER than any freshman from Minnesota this season.

Why do some of you watch the team? If Whalen is awful and the players are hard to watch and its falling apart, why watch then? no one is making ANY of you watch or support the team? I'll never understand watching just to hate on the team. Being critical fine.. upset about players transferring, thats valid. but either discuss ways they can improve, players to go after in portal or what...but just dumping on them....get a hobby.

Last edited:

First of all, they have already said they are expecting a lot right away from these four. Having had conversations both with the coaches and the recruits they will be playing barring injury.

She made it to high school as she Played at Minnetonka in a championship game against Hopkins.

Yeah a two-time state champ who learned under Paige Bueckers for 3 years of high school ball. But right she probably a dud as a freshman right? And to make sure I got this accurate...if a kid stays home... they won't be anything good, but we praise Kneepkens and Johnson at Utah or any kid that leaves.... despite the four coming in ALL RANKED HIGHER than any freshman from Minnesota this season.

Why do some of you watch the team? If Whalen is awful and the players are hard to watch and its falling apart, why watch then? no one is making ANY of you watch or support the team? I'll never understand watching just to hate on the team. Being critical fine.. upset about players transferring, thats valid. but either discuss ways they can improve, players to go after in portal or what...but just dumping on them....get a hobby.
FWIW i never said the freshman wouldnt play, it just seems like some on here dont expect the staff to add anymore players when they clearly will. I'm much higher on Braun then Mngirlshoops, I think shes gonna play alot, I think Battle will be in the rotation and I think Heyer and Holloway will provide depth in some fashion. Right now with where the roster is the freshman would be asked to play massive roles and relying on freshman no matter how good they are is a scary proposition. We really need to add a few good transfers and it seems like the staff plans to be aggressive in doing that. There needs to be competition at every spot and right now there just isnt alot of competition.

Carr played for Eden Prairie, and then transferred to Minnetonka. She did not have to sit out a year, due to the transfer, because there was alleged bullying. Minnetonka also had a player from St Paul on that team. :) Minnetonka won the State Tournament that year.

Her Dad was hired at Kansas State, and she went there. She would be a very nice addition to the Gophers, if she came here.

Carr played for Eden Prairie, and then transferred to Minnetonka. She did not have to sit out a year, due to the transfer, because there was alleged bullying. Minnetonka also had a player from St Paul on that team. :) Minnetonka won the State Tournament that year.

Her Dad was hired at Kansas State, and she went there. She would be a very nice addition to the Gophers, if she came here.

Just to add: Carr played two years of high school ball in Manhattan, Kansas. Then moved on to Kansas State where her father was an assistant coach in charge of recruiting her.

There are some quality players, listed and those not listed, in that transfer portal. The key question is, how aggressive will our coaching/recruiting effort be for those players that could help the program? Then, once we land those players, the coaches have to do whatever they can (legally) in trying to keep those players engaged and work on skill development.

What experienced, impact transfer player would want to play on a team where incoming freshman (basically high school players) are already promised starting roles or significant minutes without an open competition for position/time? Plus a SG that gets a guaranteed 40 minutes - good or bad.

Is it true that the men's practice squad for the women's team just entered the Transfer Portal?

FWIW i never said the freshman wouldnt play, it just seems like some on here dont expect the staff to add anymore players when they clearly will. I'm much higher on Braun then Mngirlshoops, I think shes gonna play alot, I think Battle will be in the rotation and I think Heyer and Holloway will provide depth in some fashion. Right now with where the roster is the freshman would be asked to play massive roles and relying on freshman no matter how good they are is a scary proposition. We really need to add a few good transfers and it seems like the staff plans to be aggressive in doing that. There needs to be competition at every spot and right now there just isnt alot of competition.
Let me just clarify and I have said this in other posts - Braun is the most polished/ready of the 4 freshman, so I am high on Braun. I also agree on your assessment of Battle will be in the rotation and I think Heyer and Holloway will provide depth in some fashion.

Nothing against the freshman, but there is a learning curve - the speed, the athletes, the nerves etc etc. If you mix them in with older kids it will go much better in my opinion and that is where I see an issue right now. Scalia is the only kid with experience returning and if we dont get some proven experienced players it will be a good development year for the freshman, but a challenging year to get W's. Lets not lose sight Rose is our only 5 on the roster and we lost Kadi, Deja and Jaz our most athletic players.

Let me just clarify and I have said this in other posts - Braun is the most polished/ready of the 4 freshman, so I am high on Braun. I also agree on your assessment of Battle will be in the rotation and I think Heyer and Holloway will provide depth in some fashion.

Nothing against the freshman, but there is a learning curve - the speed, the athletes, the nerves etc etc. If you mix them in with older kids it will go much better in my opinion and that is where I see an issue right now. Scalia is the only kid with experience returning and if we dont get some proven experienced players it will be a good development year for the freshman, but a challenging year to get W's. Lets not lose sight Rose is our only 5 on the roster and we lost Kadi, Deja and Jaz our most athletic players.
Fair enough, we're on the exact same page.

IF BIG IF.. but if Mara hits the ground running and plays well I truly believe she has a shot at being B1G Freshman of the Year.. I'm like you @MNGirlsHoops I've VERY HIGH on her agree with you.. she's so polished and just has a a great shot and so quick with her release as well..

Is it too late to pick a post from Europe or Australia? I don't pretend to know the rules for international recruiting.

Let's not forget, there will be 2 more players with freshmen eligibility that sat out last year due to injury; Katie Borowicz & Maggie Czinano.

I expect Borowicz (if healthy) will start out the year at the point.

I am pretty sure Maggie will be considered a sophomore. She appeared in some games, including late in the season.

I am pretty sure Maggie will be considered a sophomore. She appeared in some games, including late in the season.
I stand corrected on Maggie. I do hope the coaches discussed burning her redshirt before playing her a whole 22 minutes for the season.

Top Bottom