Gold unis return Saturday

My god some people just love bitching. It wouldn't be Minnesota without the constant whining and complaining.

The uniforms are fine. The players absolutely pick the combinations for home games, and whatever they want is fine with me. The players love 'em, and don't kid yourself it is a recruiting tool of sorts.

Face it...we're not 18 year old college kids anymore. Our opinion on this means jack sh!t. At least they don't have stripes and patterns all over them, and are just basic solid colors. And even if you personally don't like them, they're still just uniforms! Calm down, people. We've had 50 different combinations over the years, nothing classic in nature like Nebraska, OK, Texas, USC, et al., and several that were MUCH worse (think - ____M____M____)

Now back to your regularly scheduled bitching...

Noooooooooooo! I didn't like the gold uniforms in '07 and although they looked a little better on Saturday (to the point I could at least hold my nose and put up with them), I was still very much hoping they were a once-per season type thing. Regardless of who picks them... they just look horrible to me (especially with a little sweat). Arrrrrrrg.

And, it ain't about "change". Overall I liked the change in uniforms for last season. I don't mind the style at all. I just don't like the all gold and orange look that we saw on Saturday.

Maybe we'll see the gold jerseys consistently for quite a while. I don't want to get back on the topic, but hopefully this is also aiming to encourage the fans to wear gold to the games as well.

I don't hate the gold jerseys, but if I had to wear one or the other I would choose maroon.

gold on gold and the maroon helmets are terrible to look at.

I would broaden the maroon stripes on the gold jerseys. The thin gold stripes on the maroon jerseys stand out, but these do not. The maroon stripe on the pants should go all the way up to the waist.

Anyone else remember the metallic gold (not yellow) uniforms and helmets from the Cal Stoll years when Tony Dungy was quarterback? They were designed to be a throwback to the Bernie Bierman era.

By the way, Oregon fans are having a similar discussion on uniform combinations for Saturday's game. The online Oregonian has a "Dress the Ducks" graphic that lets you select from various combinations of helmets, jerseys, pants, and shoes. Unfortunately, all the jerseys have feathers on the shoulder pads.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2009/09/oregon_ducks_uniforms_what_sho_1.html

Do NOT bring in metallic gold into the conversation. It could look good (and it did when Dungy was around), but the gophers have definitively parted ways with that as a school color. Ask Purdue, it only causes a great amount of confusion. The 'orangy-yellowy' gold that Minnesota has decided does NOT go well with metallic gold.

The football team has gold flaking on their helmets.... that's about all the metallic gold the athletic department wants.

Meh. It's not a big deal either way. At the end of the day, it's just clothes that young men are wearing when they play a game.

Watching the game last weekend with non-gopher fans, they all were laughing at how bad the uniforms looked on tv (and I had to agree).

That would make sense, a non-Gopher fan watching the game with other non-Gopher fans. Ok, we get it, you hate the rouser, you hate the uniforms, go back to whatever board you came from.

I do think they look better close up then they do from a distance. Close up, the maroon on them looks good. From a distance, the maroon doesn't show up too well.

Maroon jersey, gold pants - that's our modern tradition. We look tougher in maroon. Now special occasions (opener, homecoming, etc), gold on gold is fine. Either way, just win.

On TV, when the team took the field, the gold unis looked great. But as the game wore on and the uniforms became sweat soaked, they looked bad. If they could fix that, they would be fine.

I was hoping that they'd use the all gold uniforms only for special events like opening the stadium, gold out, and maybe trophy games. But letting the players pick is even better. Just think, when the players change what they wear we'll be analyzing it to death.

This current gold/gold combo is perfection. Keep it around. For those stating that maroon/gold is modern tradition, well, how successful have we been in that combination of uniform? I'm not saying that a uni combo makes the difference on the field, but if you want to pull the tradition card, don't pick an era of poor results as the standard.

I'm not saying that a uni combo makes the difference on the field, but if you want to pull the tradition card, don't pick an era of poor results as the standard.
Do you understand what "standard" and "tradition" mean? You're suggesting more of a "throwback". I'm all for that -- circa 1960's.

On TV, when the team took the field, the gold unis looked great. But as the game wore on and the uniforms became sweat soaked, they looked bad. If they could fix that, they would be fine.

Agreed. I've seen a couple different places now where people have floated the sweat-stains-on-yellow-jersey = TCF Bank card thing. I hope to god it's not intentional, but they do look strikingly similar, and I really wish they'd end it. And if it IS intentional, well, I'd rather be back in the Metrodome than be the TCF Bank Golden Gophers (in partnership with the University of Minnesota).

I don't really care if they're ugly so long as the TCF thing is just a coincidence.

a joke, right?

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48323&SPID=4653&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=1469709

I honestly think Iowa St's unis are awesome and I wish the Gophs went for this look more. Let me also say that the Cyclone's helmets SUCK in that picture, but that I have seen them wear some white throwback helmets that look very similar to what the Gophers throwback helmets would look like.

I hope your kidding. Red and yellow like that are terrible.

Agreed. I've seen a couple different places now where people have floated the sweat-stains-on-yellow-jersey = TCF Bank card thing. I hope to god it's not intentional, but they do look strikingly similar, and I really wish they'd end it. And if it IS intentional, well, I'd rather be back in the Metrodome than be the TCF Bank Golden Gophers (in partnership with the University of Minnesota).

I don't really care if they're ugly so long as the TCF thing is just a coincidence.

Oh sweet jeebus...why in the world are you even thinking that the TCF conspiracy is real? Are you serious? Its out there b/c Iowa blogs tried to make a funny.

"We fear Change."

we_fear_change.jpg

I could not agree more...

That would make sense, a non-Gopher fan watching the game with other non-Gopher fans. Ok, we get it, you hate the rouser, you hate the uniforms, go back to whatever board you came from.

I laugh at Wiskydicks "Retreating W" but at the end of the day, does it matter to them?, not one Iota. If the players and recruits like them, who are we?

Oh sweet jeebus...why in the world are you even thinking that the TCF conspiracy is real? Are you serious? Its out there b/c Iowa blogs tried to make a funny.

Please explain why it's so obviously not true...honestly, I'm begging you. Because I don't exactly believe it's true, but I haven't been able to come up with a good reason why it isn't. Explain why some exec at TCF couldn't have whispered a little something in the U's ear about the synergy between team unis and corporate colors right before they signed on the dotted line, and I'll be able to fully embrace the new threads.

Please explain why it's so obviously not true...honestly, I'm begging you. Because I don't exactly believe it's true, but I haven't been able to come up with a good reason why it isn't. Explain why some exec at TCF couldn't have whispered a little something in the U's ear about the synergy between team unis and corporate colors right before they signed on the dotted line, and I'll be able to fully embrace the new threads.

it's not a conspiracy. It's the design of the jersey by Nike. It's the same as UNC's jersey where they start out carolina blue and then areas get darker as the players sweat. The part that doesn't change color is the breathable mesh part and the part that does is the part that wicks moisture away from the body. Hence, one part doesn't change color and the part that wicks away the sweat from the body does.

I saw both places you referred to and both of them were just joking. You are welcome to open an investigation. Let us know the TRUTH when you get it and don't forget to call a publisher for the book rights.

For the record: I dislike the all gold/yellow uni's. I'd prefer more maroon. I also don't care that much overall to worry about it.

Please explain why it's so obviously not true...honestly, I'm begging you.

Prove to me there isn't an invisible monkey staring at you right now. Of course, there is no reason to think there is an invisible monkey staring at you. If I made such a claim, it would be up to me to back it up. Likewise, if you think there is some sort of uniform conspiracy, please present evidence that it IS true.

to sonny garcia: in fact, I graduated from the U in 1969. I don't live in Minnesota any longer so it's very difficult for me to find other gopher fans in northern vermont to watch the game with. Also, there's nothing wrong with the Rouser; it just need some minor tweaks. In any event, get over yourself and perhaps you need to get a life.

From Shooter's Column:

The University of Minnesota's mascot has been changed to the "Platinum Pitbull" because recruits don't think a Gopher is a very cool animal.

Top Bottom