Gold unis return Saturday

it's very difficult for me to find other gopher fans

I'm thinking they are making themselves hard for you to find... especially if they know of you rouser idea.

Please explain why it's so obviously not true...honestly, I'm begging you. Because I don't exactly believe it's true, but I haven't been able to come up with a good reason why it isn't. Explain why some exec at TCF couldn't have whispered a little something in the U's ear about the synergy between team unis and corporate colors right before they signed on the dotted line, and I'll be able to fully embrace the new threads.

Wow...what a great argument! Instead of going out and finding proof to back up the unlikely explanation, you demand that others positively disprove the ridiculous assertion. I think that the stadium runs east to west as a marker to an alien race. It points to their landing area. Prove me wrong. Jeebus...

As ditt noted, its the way the jersey is made. Not that proof like that can be acceptable of course...not definitive enough I guess. I'll let you know when I find the tapes from my wiretap of the secret TCF/U meeting where the shenanigans were hatched.

Wow...what a great argument! Instead of going out and finding proof to back up the unlikely explanation, you demand that others positively disprove the ridiculous assertion. I think that the stadium runs east to west as a marker to an alien race. It points to their landing area. Prove me wrong. Jeebus...

As ditt noted, its the way the jersey is made. Not that proof like that can be acceptable of course...not definitive enough I guess. I'll let you know when I find the tapes from my wiretap of the secret TCF/U meeting where the shenanigans were hatched.

OMG!!! Do I need to run out and get my Gold Tinfoil hat ready????

Prove to me there isn't an invisible monkey staring at you right now. Of course, there is no reason to think there is an invisible monkey staring at you. If I made such a claim, it would be up to me to back it up. Likewise, if you think there is some sort of uniform conspiracy, please present evidence that it IS true.

Who ever said this was a conspiracy? Is it somehow illegal to have your team uni colors match your corporate sponsor's? Probably not.
Is it undesirable?? To me, yes, very much. I'd like as much distance as possible between my favorite team and their advertising. To contradict myself in a post above, I find the fact that our uniforms just so happen to almost exactly match TCF's colors to be in extremely poor taste. If it's coincidence, I'll just go on being a little disappointed that we have another reminder that our stadium is named after a corporation. If it's intentional, I'll throw up in my mouth a little. But I guess I'll never really know which it is, so talking about it is a bit of a moot point.

Who ever said this was a conspiracy? Is it somehow illegal to have your team uni colors match your corporate sponsor's? Probably not.
Is it undesirable?? To me, yes, very much. I'd like as much distance as possible between my favorite team and their advertising. To contradict myself in a post above, I find the fact that our uniforms just so happen to almost exactly match TCF's colors to be in extremely poor taste. If it's coincidence, I'll just go on being a little disappointed that we have another reminder that our stadium is named after a corporation. If it's intentional, I'll throw up in my mouth a little. But I guess I'll never really know which it is, so talking about it is a bit of a moot point.

You missed one little detail. TCF's colors only "just so happen to" match the Gopher gold uniforms AFTER the players work up a sweat. That would take a lot of covert plannng with the uniform provider - Nike.

"Excuse me Mr. Nike, I like what I see here but we are going for something a bit different. See this cash and check card? We'd like to add this additional brown color to match the card and our sponser. But, unfortunately this additional color isn't part of the University swatch. So, we'd like a moment with your fabric team to see if they can develop cloth that turns from gold to this check card color after human sweat is applied."

I honestly think there is a better chance an invisible monkey is sitting on your shoulder reading this right now, than that crazy covert corporate branding idea that you have proposed.

You missed one little detail. TCF's colors only "just so happen to" match the Gopher gold uniforms AFTER the players work up a sweat. That would take a lot of covert plannng with the uniform provider - Nike.

"Excuse me Mr. Nike, I like what I see here but we are going for something a bit different. See this cash and check card? We'd like to add this additional brown color to match the card and our sponser. But, unfortunately this additional color isn't part of the University swatch. So, we'd like a moment with your fabric team to see if they can develop cloth that turns from gold to this check card color after human sweat is applied.

You've got a point, but, 1) it's not like this whole 'sweat darkening fabric' thing is a new discovery, nor would they have had to special order anything to get a jersey that absorbs sweat in certain spots and not others, therefore getting darker.
and 2) even without the sweat thing, we already look entirely too much like their check card.
But then again, there isn't a whole lot we can do about their using maroon and gold. I just wish I didn't have to think about the connection between us and them.

I'm terribly sorry that you have to be reminded of the gift that resulted in TCF. On behalf of all Gopher fans I demand that we return the money, tear down the stadium, and go back to the Dome immediately so that no one has to be sick to their stomach over the generosity of TCF Bank. Does the fact that there is no on campus stadium w/o TCF ever enter you mind? That should be enough to make you feel better. If not, you've got some messed up priorities and concerns.

As for knowing not knowing...apply a little critical thought (though you seem to lack that skill) and I think you'll be ok.

You've got a point, but, 1) it's not like this whole 'sweat darkening fabric' thing is a new discovery, nor would they have had to special order anything to get a jersey that absorbs sweat in certain spots and not others, therefore getting darker.
and 2) even without the sweat thing, we already look entirely too much like their check card.
But then again, there isn't a whole lot we can do about their using maroon and gold. I just wish I didn't have to think about the connection between us and them.

Now you're starting to get somewhere. Their colors are similar to ours. Perhaps coincidence has everything to do with this? Naw...too likely. Must be the secret subliminal messaging...

As for knowing not knowing...apply a little critical thought (though you seem to lack that skill) and I think you'll be ok.

Why don't you try being a little less of a prick and take this as the exchange of ideas it was supposed to be?

Why don't you try being a little less of a prick and take this as the exchange of ideas it was supposed to be?

I'm sorry, but the idea is ridiculous! And you keep getting all worked up about it ("sick to your stomach" and all that). Honestly, if you take 2 seconds, consider the options, and note the fact that U's colors and TCF's colors are almost identical it's pretty clear that its a coincidence.

Brewster's take on gold uniforms

Just got back from the Goal Line Club, and Brewster said the the gold uniforms will come out during big games. He said the players seem to like them, and the gold and gold is a throwback to the early days.

I personally don't mind the gold and gold or the gold with maroon pants. But I don't think it should be used very often in a season. For example, Notre Dame uses its green jersey one game a year.

Yeah, if the players like them, and he's trying to at least tie into the past a little bit, I think we should be able to get by the fact that they may not be our favorites.

Just got back from the Goal Line Club, and Brewster said the the gold uniforms will come out during big games. He said the players seem to like them, and the gold and gold is a throwback to the early days.

I personally don't mind the gold and gold or the gold with maroon pants. But I don't think it should be used very often in a season. For example, Notre Dame uses its green jersey one game a year.

Big games this year:
Air Force (first game)
Cal (Ranked 7!)
Wisconsin (always a big game)
Purdue (Homecoming!)
Michigan State (Halloween night game!)

So, does that mean the Gophers will be wearing the "special" uniforms 6 times this year and their "normal" ones twice?

Honestly, if you take 2 seconds, consider the options, and note the fact that U's colors and TCF's colors are almost identical it's pretty clear that its a coincidence.

No, it's clear it's probablya coincidence, which I've said from the beginning, and which is entirely different from it obviously being a coincidence. And why invite the comparison when you don't have to?

No, it's clear it's probablya coincidence, which I've said from the beginning, and which is entirely different from it obviously being a coincidence. And why invite the comparison when you don't have to?

Ok, so you can add the qualifier. But the high % answer is that its a coincidence. That should be enough (given all the evidence in favor of a coincidence) to not get worried about it.

As for inviting the comparison? Seriously? So now we can't wear uniforms in one of our school colors on the off chance that it looks sort of like one of TCF's colors when the players get sweaty? But you're right, we shouldn't let the players wear the uniforms they like because an Iowa blogger made a funny.

Big games this year:
Air Force (first game)
Cal (Ranked 7!)
Wisconsin (always a big game)
Purdue (Homecoming!)
Michigan State (Halloween night game!)

So, does that mean the Gophers will be wearing the "special" uniforms 6 times this year and their "normal" ones twice?

God, I hope not.

For example, Notre Dame uses its green jersey one game a year.

Incorrect.

They use them very sparingly, I believe only twice since fatass took over and maybe a dozen times in the last 30 years.

The old-school look would be "old gold" like Notre Dame If the teams of the thirties wore uniforms like the current team, they'd have been nicknamed the "Yellow Gophers."

I wasn't the first person to use the word "conspiracy", you didn't object to the word when you responded to the poster who did use it. Even if you didn't use the word "conspiracy", you are propsosing a conspiracy, not all conspiracies are illegal conspiracies.

We didn't change our colors, we simply added a gold uniform with maroon highlights to our usual uniform of maroon with gold highlights. We've used gold uniforms in the past, it's where "Golden Gophers" came from in the first place. I went to the TCF site, and most of the site is in maroon.

We haven't adopted TCF's colors, TCF adopted our colors. It's possible that TCF conspired with the U on uniform colors, but, without evidence, it's not worth considering. We used Gold uniforms for a game in 2006, were we conspiring even then?

"Excuse me Mr. Nike, I like what I see here but we are going for something a bit different. See this cash and check card? We'd like to add this additional brown color to match the card and our sponser. But, unfortunately this additional color isn't part of the University swatch. So, we'd like a moment with your fabric team to see if they can develop cloth that turns from gold to this check card color after human sweat is applied."

I honestly think there is a better chance an invisible monkey is sitting on your shoulder reading this right now, than that crazy covert corporate branding idea that you have proposed.

If you dont think that Marketing/Advertising departments for large corporations who have millions of dollars to work with dont come up with ideas like this... Than you have no idea how advertising works!

That being said, I highly doubt this actually was done with influence from TCF. As stated before it would take a lot of finessing from TCF with the athletic dept, football team, university and nike. Most like a coincidence.

But make no mistake, TCF is loving every minute of the ATM card controversy.

The gold helmets with 2 maroon stripes and a white one in the middle are still my favorites. From the late 60's, looked like gophers!!!!

Don't know about the Gophers, but at Florida the players decide (subject to a head coach veto, I believe).

Are any teams wearing a truly "golden" color (other than helmets) these days?

It's the day before one of the biggest games in recent history and the biggest thread on here is about uniforms?

You've got to be kidding me.

It's the day before one of the biggest games in recent history and the biggest thread on here is about uniforms?

I'd tell you what I think about tomorrow but you won't like that either. :(

I am definitely not opposed to all gold, but they must be gold and not mustard or yellow. We are the golden gophers not yellow gophers. Nike needs to make our uniforms a true gold color. As my wife said last week with the yellow we look like a bunch of bananas ou there with this color.

unia.jpg

I'd like this mix of old and new if Decker didn't have his helmet on backward.

It doesn't get more classic than all gold

I am definitely not opposed to all gold, but they must be gold and not mustard or yellow. We are the golden gophers not yellow gophers. Nike needs to make our uniforms a true gold color. As my wife said last week with the yellow we look like a bunch of bananas ou there with this color.

To be fair we won championships in mustard gold and earned that moniker.

Maroon is what I grew up with so I'm used to it.

I was a Mason Era Undergrad so I have a soft spot for the Maroon tops and Gold pants. I despise the metallic gold 'M___M' era that was way too '80's and all too congruent with the inorganic Metrodome experience. The 1960's throwbacks are all too tainted by our NDSU debacles.

I dig the new Gold jerseys. Now that the NCAA has given the okay for two solid color jerseys on the same field again [thank you UCLA vs USC], I would love to see them on the road in lieu of the less attractive all whites.

I've said before and say it again that all gold is the look that defined this team and it's climb to greatness.

We 'hog-tied' Iowa and first took home the pig in all gold.
We won the Heisman in all gold.
We were crowned National Champs in all gold.

brucesmith41.jpg
WOBKCXSHPXBBCFC.20060427170303.jpg
2n9deu1.jpg

To be fair, I am too jacked up to sleep, and what can I say about Cal? They will have to falter, and we will have to soar. We need both to win.

If we win we get half the kids on the fence and have a much more reasonable chance keeping #1 target at home.

We loose tomorrow 7 or 8 times out of 10. Which is what makes winning such a exciting proposition! The gophers can wear pink if they win and I couldn't care, and if we loose by 50+ I doubt the jersey will much mater either.

Would be nice to see what the Gold Jersey's look like with Maroon phants. Just would be nice to have a little contrast. I'm not saying I'm a fan of the all gold look
but if the players like them and they continue to win I don't care what they wear.

Top Bottom