Gold Out for Miami game?

The real problem we will have for years will be jackets. As long as the weather is nice, we'll have a maroon and gold stadium. But it will be years -- if ever -- before a majority buys maroon or gold warm jackets (not just sweatshirts). People just don't do that much in Minnesota. You don't even see a lot of Vikings winter jackets.

Too true. I remember the WI game in '09. The rain and cold ruined the Solid Gold Saturday plan (understandable). But I saw the most stupifying thing ever. There was a guy in a red jacket. I just assumed Badger fan. Until I noticed his Gophers hat and how he said Go Gophers! to someone else. That means the guy planned ahead for the weather and though "if things go bad I'll be ok b/c I can wear my red jacket"...to a game where the Gophers are playing the Badgers. He couldn't be bothered to beg, borrow, or steal (much less buy) any other coat to handle the weather. Just shook my head and though "only in Minnesota". :)

No amount of marketing in the world will make these gold outs work if the team still sucks. Just the way it is.
Also true. I would assume this all works better when there is a level of excitement in place.

How about this??

On November 12, 2011 (11-12-11)

"Better Dead than Red! Wear Maroon Day"

Be loud, wear gold, support and cheer on the team as they "STROKE THE POST"- ALL DAY LONG! How much simply can the U make this?
I though Iowa fans were slow, and we needed a discussion about shirt colors? What's next! How about what's is your opinion about this year's collector cup?:p;):D:

Has anyone else received the email about the Gold Out for the Miami game on the 17th? You would think after the last unsuccessful gold out they would start promoting this a lot more than a simple email.

GOLD OUT ??? WHAT GOLD OUT ??

jk

I remember when my Dad first got season tickets about 10-15 years ago, EVERY season ticket holder rec'd a gold t-shirt along with their season ticket purchase, not just the student section. Can't they start that up again? Throw 3-4 sponsors on the back of the shirt which would cover the cost of the shirts.

Anywho, as long as fans wear maroon when we play Iowa, and gold when we play Wisconsin (as those colors stick out more against the nasty black or red depending on which school we are playing) I'll be fine.

Obtain a sponsor(TCF comes to mind), give away or sell cheap($10 or less). Offer in LARGE sizes(3,4,5,6 XL). These will fit over sweatshirts/jackets/coats. If they are too big on some days and hang to your knees, big deal.

they should stop pushing any clothing agenda People can figure it out to wear white, maroon or gold. except the fat tub of shi4 who wore his badger 32 jersey to the last game in or around 206-207.

Saw that site previously. Their largest size is 2X. Offer much larger sizes. Something people can slip over what they choose to wear(sport shirt/sweater/sweatshirt/jacket/coat).

Can't expect everyone to spend $40-$75 for an official Gopher sweatshirt or more for a gold jacket.

Heck, sell a cheap belt pouch to store t-shirt before or after game if you don't go directly to your vehicle.

I whined about this before and now I'm going to rant: I paid out over $20,000 for my daughter to get a Public Relations degree from the U of M.

In that department, they have some of the nation's best Marketing/Public Relations faculty. She got an excellent education and has a terrific PR job which she got right after graduation.

It cheapens the perception of the value of the degree when the best football marketing campaign is a lousy copy of someone else's idea. Come on Marketing Department! You can do far better than what you've done. You have some of the best minds in the business and the result is a copy of what everyone else does.

How about sending out a $10 gift certificate with season tickets that is good for a free generic gold t-shirt at Goldies Locker-room and if someone wants to upgrade, they can pay the difference? Why not call it "Pure Gold" or something else creative. Sheesh....

How about this??

On November 12, 2011 (11-12-11)

"Better Dead than Red! Wear Maroon Day"

I like this idea. They should give out a free stick with a badger hanging from it to the first 25,000 fans as well!

I remember when my Dad first got season tickets about 10-15 years ago, EVERY season ticket holder rec'd a gold t-shirt along with their season ticket purchase, not just the student section. Can't they start that up again? Throw 3-4 sponsors on the back of the shirt which would cover the cost of the shirts.

Anywho, as long as fans wear maroon when we play Iowa, and gold when we play Wisconsin (as those colors stick out more against the nasty black or red depending on which school we are playing) I'll be fine.

We can't even agree on this,as two people have allready said the Badger Game should be wear Maroon day. Really as Minnesotans we should just give up. The combination of the passive agressiveness combined with the cluelessness of others will NEVER make this work. Hell even if a free t-shirt was given half the stadium would put it in their purse obag and never put the damn thing on....

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but prior to the Gold Out in years past didn't they have like a 20% coupon on anything gold at Goldy's? Anyone seen anything like that this week, I'd like to use it.

Easy solution would be put a gold shirt on every seat. Or hand out a gold shirt to everyone who enters. I think the broncos did this when their stadium first opened so you could still see the bronco logo that is painted in the seats. Would it cost too much given the current state of the program, probably more than they are comfortable with for a game promotion. Would it be worth it for the recruiting factor, yes.

In the end though, it's about selling more gold shirts at Gold country and the bookstore and goldy's locker room.

This. It's not that difficult. I bet TCF or Washburn McReavy or Federated would gladly pay the $2/shirt cost to have their logo on it.

What a video

Goldy is not even wearing the gold jersey, and the music is pure cheese. Poopy production.

I'll be wearing gold. I have no issues whatsoever with these 'gimmicks'.

Guess what.. It's college football.. And it is FULL of gimmicks (Illinois card 'trick' in it's student section, PSU's 'White Out', etc)

Goldy is not even wearing the gold jersey, and the music is pure cheese. Poopy production.

lol What?! Seriously? Dude, the video/production is an 1980's video. OF COURSE it's going to be cheese!

The people discussing this here are the types that don't need to be reminded of a "Gold Out". The problem is with the majority of Gopher fans that will never visit a message board. Of every hundred fans at the game, perhaps 8 or 10 will have the type of dedication as those that frequent the message boards. There will be another 50 "pretty good" fans that are aware of the gold out. 30 will be completely clueless and won't have even heard there was a "gold out" on (of these 30, 25 still won't be aware of it when they are heading for their cars after the game). That leaves about 10 more that will wear something else just to show what individuals they are.

I'm in that "8 to 10" category and I've got maroon, or gold gamewear for pretty much any temp above 40 degrees (any lower and I have to go Maroon). For the biggest group of 50, I just got a lesson in how hard a "gold out" can be. Like I said, I am covered. However, my kids continue to grow and I am bringing them tomorrow. All three of them have outgrown their gold Gopher-wear from last year. So, I just went out in search of some gold Gopher gear for them. Here is what it took: Kohls in Chaska... one adult Gopher shirt in the entire store and it is maroon. Super Target in Chaska... not much Gopher gear in general, and NO Gold. Eden Prairie Mall... sports store... one adult xl gold shirt in entire store; Scheels... NO gold shirts; Kohls... Jackpot. Both maroon and Gold shirts although nothing in gold for my 7 year old daughter. She'll have to wear a gold t-shirt of her brother's that comes down to her knees or ankles.

So there you have it... I had to make FIVE stops before I could finally find what I was looking for. So, for the casual fan looking to get in on the Gold Out and purchase some apparel today, they either have to be lucky and hit the right store or suddenly become completely dedicated enough to make as many as five or more stops to find a stupid gold tshirt or sweatshirt.

Yeah, I know this could have been accomplished either on line or by driving directly to Gold Country... It just doesn't work out that way for a lot of people. As others have said, if our colors were red and white, or blue and white, this would be a lot easier. Two main colors makes it much tougher (but not impossible).

I always "play along" and do my part but I have grown to dislike the "gold outs" because I just find myself getting annoyed looking around a stadium that has ignored it... again.

Personally I'd love to see TCF go all gold for every home game. We are the Golden Gophers, that is about as unique a college nickname as you can have and I feel as if we do too little with it. If the U Marketing/Athletic Department wanted to make this happen all it would require is finding a different sponsor per home game, make a gold shirt of the week "Take the Axe" for becky week, "Beat Michigan", etc etc, and then put one in every seat in the stadium. That way there is no excuse and everyone, even if it was cold out, could have an option.

Also the U needs to contract with SOMEONE, I don't care if its Nike, Adidas etc and clearly define our official colors and subsequently use them EVERYWHERE. I understand we have "official colors" now, and athletic contracts, but I feel as if the University is overall too inconsistent with the different hues, shades, etc I see not just in apparel but in signage as well.

The U should pony up and rebrand things going forward to provide a certain standard of what is maroon and gold and what "isn't". Its honestly a poor effort when your field and seating don't even match in your own football stadium...
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/139361/entry.jpg

Look at ASU, very similar colorwise with us and they were having much of the same problems. Whether or not you like their jerseys is another manner, but you can't deny that they made a commitment to uniformity across all programs and it looks much more professional and well done then the mishmash before. Heck make a charity event out of it, produce the new gear, and give a 50% discount for people trading in old gopher apparel and then donate the proceeds.

Creating a good atmosphere for college football is essential to recruiting as well as school pride, something that I feel is lacking for the rank and file U student. Creating these traditions or "gimmicks" as many have called them is one of the large differences between the college product and the pro one. Could you coordinate a whole section in the pros to wear different colors for a game? Doubtful. Could you place a maroon shirt on the block M and gold shirts in the maroon seats around them to make a maroon M against a gold background? Definitely. Let's work and make TCF a home field advantage people can be proud of, and a place other teams don't want to play in.

Send info out when you send out season tickets and on the tickets themselves... Things like this need to be out way ahead of time and then pounded into people's brains a few weeks out. It would work way better once we get a "hype game" against a name opponent.

You're acting surprised that we are talking about colors when the thread topic is concerning a "gold out'?

There are other threads about other topics you know....

Not so much surprised that it is being discussed but that people seem to think that it is some sort of key to building a great atmosphere. The key to building great atmosphere is one thing...WINNING. Opposing players aren't intimidated by what colors the fans are wearing and it puts no extra points on the scoreboard. Only once the program starts winning and enthusiastic people are in the seats will things such as gold outs be successful.

Not so much surprised that it is being discussed but that people seem to think that it is some sort of key to building a great atmosphere. The key to building great atmosphere is one thing...WINNING. Opposing players aren't intimidated by what colors the fans are wearing and it puts no extra points on the scoreboard. Only once the program starts winning and enthusiastic people are in the seats will things such as gold outs be successful.

Definitely agree, obviously at the end of the day the object is to win. Winning puts butts in the seats better than any marketing campaign could hope. However anything fans can do to grow the fanbase or develop the atmosphere/gameday experience is important. We as fans can't control any of the micro level decisions made on a day to day basis that influence this team's success, we aren't choosing which drills at to practice or watching film. What we can do is make the U the most attractive gameday experience and passionate fanbases regardless of outcome of the game. With the new stadium we have begun to take steps towards a more traditional atmosphere for Saturday. Games are social events and people lost a lot of that feeling watching in the dome.

I want recruits and outside fans alike looking at the program and knowing us as a place where we show up and have a good time while supporting the boys. Just my two cents.

guys....that video was comically bad....none the less, good luck this weekend....it should be a good game....and i'm glad coach kill is ok....he's a really good man and coach....

Fleet Farm is the only place outside of campus where I've been regularly able to find a halfway decent amount of Gopher gear...

Top Bottom