Give Bret Bielema credit..........

Reaction score
for having guts. Word has it he fired Mike Markuson, Hamline grad, today. Markuson was the o-line coach.

Wow. . .that seems to be a pretty quick move if it was done for football reasons. This seems like a conflict of personalities, which isn't entirely shocking.

How about he fire himself, or Barry Alvarez just can bert enima for being a TERRIBLE head coach. Simple as this, their only real coach is now at Pitt. Bert fed on what Chryst could do, and now he's gone and Bert goes out and hires a spread Offense coordinator? What a complete moron. It's like macturi firing Mason with his successful power run to hire a recruiter who brings in the spread. Sconnie's problems are at the top, no where else, and I hope they keep that smug prick around cuz it's only going to be good for us.

Guts to fire a coach 2 weeks into the season? It would take BB more guts to buy a mirror. And look into it. There's the real problem.

Guts, or just desperation? I'll take the latter. Bad precedent for B.B. He will continue to have coaching turnover, and who will want to coach with this guy who makes you the scape-goat in week two? His cocky statement about their System of o-line, with the player n coaching losses not being a big deal looks really fraudulent now. Part of the problem, undoubtedly, is that this line just isn't as good as the last few years.

My brother often jokes about how bravery isn't far removed from stupidity. If Kill pulled a similar move, I wouldn't be lauding his stones to make a difficult move; I'd be asking why is this happening two games into the season? Is my coach pushing the panic button? Why didn't he do a better vetting process when the hire was made? How will this affect the confidence of my team? Will this have carry-over to the rest of the staff?

for having guts.

lmfao, that would never enter a reasonable persons mind after reading about him panicking like that.

The best part will be that they will run it better against their next cupcake and in nhis own mind he will be telling himself he's a genius....

lmfao, that would never enter a reasonable persons mind after reading about him panicking like that.

The best part will be that they will run it better against their next cupcake and in nhis own mind he will be telling himself he's a genius....

Utah State won't be a pushover for them. The Aggies just beat Utah and according to Sagarin should be only about four point underdogs in Camp Randall on Saturday (Vegas has them pegged as two touchdown dogs). Oh what a day that would be, if the Gophers could go to 3-0 and Becky fell to 1-2 ...

I can promise you that Iowa would be more than happy for Bret to come home to IA to be the IA headcoach.

Guts, or just desperation? I'll take the latter. Bad precedent for B.B. He will continue to have coaching turnover, and who will want to coach with this guy who makes you the scape-goat in week two? His cocky statement about their System of o-line, with the player n coaching losses not being a big deal looks really fraudulent now. Part of the problem, undoubtedly, is that this line just isn't as good as the last few years.

+1. Perfectly stated.

Yeah that doesn't strike me as particularly "gutty". I'd go with more scapegoaty.

Without knowing the whole story, this looks like a real chump move. I always laugh at coaches who talk about the inviolable greatness of their systems. 9/10, it's the athletes that make the systems great. Wisconsin lost three very good OLs (2 of them absolutely great OLs) and there was bound to be a step back. I guess Bielema wants to hire an OL coach with Aladdin's lamp, so that his starting OL can magically be given a whole year's experience in one week.

I harp on it a lot and I can never figure out why coaches--and Mason used to do this--leave their first string in well past the point of determination in a game against a cupcake. When Wisconsin was absolutely beating the snot out of Indiana and South Dakota, were the 2nd-team guys getting their reps? Especially at positions held by seniors. I honestly don't know and I'm not asking a Badger fan to clue me in. It's just an impression I have that too many college coaches live too heavily in the present and are more concerned about putting up big numbers in the short term instead of getting kids the game experience they need.

for having guts. Word has it he fired Mike Markuson, Hamline grad, today. Markuson was the o-line coach.

He has guts alright...very visible as they stretch over his Red XXXXXL shirt and hang over his distressed belt.

I agree with the others that the turnover will likely be a continueing trend. This will ultimately help us accross the board!

SKI U MAH!

I have 0 proof but my guess is Bret called in a play and the O coach ignored it. that'll get you fired I don't care what week of the season you are in.

But if Markuson is the O-line coach, what role would be play in play-calling? My guess is there is more here than meets the eye, but it certainly looks odd.

On the one hand I agree with those that say he must have made a mistake to hire the guy, but I have to also say that if it's wrong why wait until the end of the year to correct it? You have pissed away everything but the conference title and you have two games to work it out before conference play begins. I'd have done the same thing.

It will be interesting to see if we get any quotes out of Markuson. BB is not known for his PR skills.

On the one hand I agree with those that say he must have made a mistake to hire the guy, but I have to also say that if it's wrong why wait until the end of the year to correct it? You have pissed away everything but the conference title and you have two games to work it out before conference play begins. I'd have done the same thing.

It will be interesting to see if we get any quotes out of Markuson. BB is not known for his PR skills.

That usually does NOT happen, because of the old adage "Don't burn bridges..." and that ultimately can hinder another chance.

I think you wait until the end of the season because that's the way it is usually done unless something egregious happened. I have no idea how Bielema is perceived amongst his peers, but there was a mass exodus after last season from a program that had a great deal of stability. I have no idea whether that was a fluke or not. But in view of the considerable changeover, I think Bielema would like to project an image of "we're moving on and we're going to build up a new set of assistants that are going to be here for awhile." Coming up short on a season-end review is easily explained. This. Not so much.

Markuson probably won't say a word. As someone above pointed out, if he wants to stay in the business, he'll just take his medicine and hope for another chance. All I can say about college assistant coaches, especially those in the early stages of their careers, is that they really love football. The stress associated with seeking and maintaining a position on a staff must be absolutely mind-bending.

Is anyone following Bilema's comments on Twitter? If not, check out a few of these feeds...too many to RT, and try to keep my lunch down...

@MTBadgers
@BadgerFootball
@ESPN_BigTen

My Favorite Bielema quote so far:

Bielema: "Panic is for the outside world. Reality is what I live with

Is anyone following Bilema's comments on Twitter? If not, check out a few of these feeds...too many to RT, and try to keep my lunch down...

@MTBadgers
@BadgerFootball
@ESPN_BigTen

I also tried to read that while eating lunch. I "erped", but held my food down. I won't chance reading the next two Twitters.

It would be awesome to see Kill stick it to him in Madison.

BB also likes to say 'adversity introduces a man to himself'.

Normally, you'ld fire the coach at the end of the season. This looks like panic.

Top Bottom