Gavin Schilling visits Mich. St.

UofMdad

Reaction score
Could not find a thread on Gavin, so for what's it's worth.

According to Mich. St. message bd @DaveTelep Gavin visited the Spartans on Saturday. Coach Izzo wants to sign 2 more for the 2013-14 year. Michigan St. not listed on Rivals.com as one of his college choices.

I was on a Michigan board today while looking for more unbiased perspectives on today's game against Indiana, and someone mentioned that Michigan has some interest in Schilling. A link someone posted to a Duke board awhile back mentioned some mutual interest between Schilling and the Blue Devils as well.

yeah he is the best Big man Available who is outside the top100, and the few who are top 100 have narrowed down their lists so teams will likely not be able to jump on them at this point, so all the teams are jumping on Gavin after striking out with other recruits they were interested in, Hoping since the gophers have been on him for awhile and his friends Ellis and Foster already committed here that he picks us over them, but obviously he is keeping his options open if he is letting teams jump on him so late. Say we strike out with Gavin, what would you guys want Tubby to do next? I am all for just saving the 2 scholarships and going after bigs for the 2014 class, because I don't think anyone else is worth the scholarship in this years class. There are a lot of good big men available in 2014 that have interest in the Gophers, like Reid Travis and Goodluck Okonoboh. I would love to have 4 scholarships for next year with how good potentially that class could be for the gophers. What are your guys thoughts on the matter?

yeah he is the best Big man Available who is outside the top100, and the few who are top 100 have narrowed down their lists so no team will likely not be able to jump on them at this point, so all the teams are jumping on Gavin after striking out with other recruits they were interested in, Hoping since the gophers have been on him for awhile and his friends Ellis and Foster already committed here that he picks us over them, but obviously he is keeping his options open if he is letting teams jump on him so late. Say we strike out with Gavin, what would you guys want Tubby to do next? I am all for just saving the 2 scholarships and going after bigs for the 2014 class, because I don't think anyone else is worth the scholarship in this years class. There are a lot of good big available in 2014 that have interest in the Gophers, like Reid Travis and Goodluck Okonoboh. I would love to have 4 scholarships for next year with how good the potential that class is for the gophers. What are your guys thoughts on the matter?

I would definitely save the scholarship. There are so many good players available in the 2014 class. Our play this season will most likely help attract some big recruits, too. Anybody we get next year would be better than anybody we could get this year this late into the process, IMO.

I would definitely save the scholarship. There are so many good players available in the 2014 class. Our play this season will most likely help attract some big recruits, too. Anybody we get next year would be better than anybody we could get this year this late into the process, IMO.

We're a stud PF away from being a Sweet-16 team next year imo. I'd much rather sign a guy who's ready to play for 2 years.

We're a stud PF away from being a Sweet-16 team next year imo. I'd much rather sign a guy who's ready to play for 2 years.

Who should we sign? Ghost forward? Masked marvel? I understand your point.....we will have stud guards and will need a power forward to balance with our team. Just not sure who that will be. Junior college players who can come in and dominate are not easy to find,

who is that stud PF? There isn't really anyone out there who are available besides Gavin who are worth it imo, and it's hard for freshman to step in right away and be studs, especially big men. If you want to go the Juco route, all indications are that there really isn't anyone out there who is worth it, the good ones have already signed with teams. I think the most likely way to get that Stud PF next year is if someone on our team already steps up next year, who knows,I can see it happening after seeing other players develop under Tubby from year to year. If you're trying to make the sweet 16, no one outside of Gavin will really help this team next year, and even Gavin isn't a sure help right away.

Who should we sign? Ghost forward? Masked marvel? I understand your point.....we will have stud guards and will need a power forward to balance with our team. Just not sure who that will be. Junior college players who can come in and dominate are not easy to find,

We need a PW for next year. There will be late bloomers, Jucos and others that will be able to help next year. Then bank the other one. Yeah it won't be a 5 star, but either was ingram who is quite serviceable.

We need a PW for next year. There will be late bloomers, Jucos and others that will be able to help next year. Then bank the other one. Yeah it won't be a 5 star, but either was ingram who is quite serviceable.

I don't disagree that there could be late bloomers and serviceable players available yet, but I would rather have as close to a sure thing as possible. And while Ingram has been serviceable and a good role player, we need someone better if we want to be a Sweet 16 team or better.

who is that stud PF? There isn't really anyone out there who are available besides Gavin who are worth it imo, and it's hard for freshman to step in right away and be studs, especially big men. If you want to go the Juco route, all indications are that there really isn't anyone out there who is worth it, the good ones have already signed with teams. I think the most likely way to get that Stud PF next year is if someone on our team already steps up next year, who knows,I can see it happening after seeing other players develop under Tubby from year to year. If you're trying to make the sweet 16, no one outside of Gavin will really help this team next year, and even Gavin isn't a sure help right away.

Counting on a Freshman is not the answer. The Juco's are still playing right now so maybe someone will develop? A spring signee perhaps? How about the guy mentioned here on GH (Kevin Thomas or something???). Maybe a transfer? The most likely scenario as it stands is Oto starting at the 4, with Foster/Buggs filling in behind him.

Counting on a Freshman is not the answer. The Juco's are still playing right now so maybe someone will develop? A spring signee perhaps? How about the guy mentioned here on GH (Kevin Thomas or something???). Maybe a transfer? The most likely scenario as it stands is Oto starting at the 4, with Foster/Buggs filling in behind him.

Kevin Thomas seems like a logical choice.

If Oto is starting, I'll be crying myself to sleep every night. That just cannot work for the Gophers.

Oto is weak, lacks fire, can't even hit the rim, is slow on defense, etc etc. He absolutely cannot be starting!

I can live with him playing of the bench next year though.

Kevin Thomas seems like a logical choice.

If Oto is starting, I'll be crying myself to sleep every night. That just cannot work for the Gophers.

Oto is weak, lacks fire, can't even hit the rim, is slow on defense, etc etc. He absolutely cannot be starting!

I can live with him playing of the bench next year though.

LOL on the bolded. Just make sure you snuggle in your bankie and suck your thumb. :)

The problem with Kevin Thomas is that class will have six open scholly's for the 2014-15 season and if we land the big three and one or two of them are one and dones, will be replacing the majority of our scholarship players

The problem with Kevin Thomas is that class will have six open scholly's for the 2014-15 season and if we land the big three and one or two of them are one and dones, will be replacing the majority of our scholarship players

True, true. But I feel like the pieces are there to win big next year too with a nice PF and EE (hopefully freshman version) at Center.

Maybe a PF transfers in, and someone transfers out?

LOL on the bolded. Just make sure you snuggle in your bankie and suck your thumb. :)

Don't forget the warm milk! :D

I don't hate Oto, he just has a TON of things he needs to improve upon if he's going to get good minutes next year.

Schilling would really be stepping into a good situation next year with the gophers. Lots of playing time with very solid guards to run the team. That being said same for Thomas.

Schilling would really be stepping into a good situation next year with the gophers. Lots of playing time with very solid guards to run the team. That being said same for Thomas.

I agree. As fans who would we rather get, Schilling or Thomas? I don't really know anything about Thomas.

Buggs is going to surprise some people a little quicker than they expect. The more video i see of him, the more i think Gopher fans (and probably a lot of other people) underrate him. I don't know if it's something i can quantify but he has a certain feeling to his game and i suspect he will be a fan favorite before long.

I'd rather take my chances and hope for the best next year, than screw things up in the future, for short term success that in no way would even be close to a gaurantee. Having 5 players all graduating in the same year is going to be problematic, pushing that to 6, with the outsite possibility of that going to 7 or 8 if Tyus and Vaughn came in, we had a great run and they chose to cash in when their stock was high. We'd have to bring in 2-4 Jucos the next season to try to restore some balance, but that wouldn't necessarily fix everything, either, since that would bring imbalance to other classes.

You are talking about creating an absolute nightmare of a mess, all just for the outside chance of maybe improving our team just enough come next year?!

I want us to be successful as soon as possible as well, I am getting older and am getting tired of waiting and waiting and waiting, but I'm far more tired of suffering through seasons that were totally screwed up because of the mistakes of the past(scandal aftermath, for example).
This season is going to improve our chances at getting good and even AWESOME recruits from here on out. Next year being a little bit of a down year isn't going to hurt much if this year does bring us a top rated class in 2014. EVERYONE will know that its a rebuilding year with HUGE potential and hopes for the future.

Lets get Vaughn, and Reid and Tyus maybe as well, and look to getting some balance established for the future.
Even if we only get Reid or only Vaughn or only the 2 of them, maybe we won't have a bunch of one and dones either. This season may not get us our Top Ten homies, but maybe we'll get a couple of 50-100 rated guys who will stay for 3-4 years?! That might be even better?!

So lets not sell our future, for some short term success.

Not a fan of getting a JUCO this year because it creates such a large recruiting class two years from now. Unless it's someone who you really feel can be good. It's not worth it to get someone that's just okay.

Not a fan of getting a JUCO this year because it creates such a large recruiting class two years from now. Unless it's someone who you really feel can be good. It's not worth it to get someone that's just okay.

This is kind of my thinking, too. If we miss on Schilling why offer a scholarship to an ok player. I really believe that if we keep performing like we are we will be on the radar for some higher level recruits. I know following the recruit since they were a freshman or younger is big for them, but I'd rather take a chance on them than "force" a commitment from an ok player.

ESPN lists Schilling as the only player on the Mich St offer list.(other listed players are committed to other schools)

ESPN lists Schilling as the only player on the Mich St offer list.(other listed players are committed to other schools)

Rivals.com needs to update their list for Gavin. Mich. St. is not listed as offered or interest.

Marcus tweet: "Heard Gavin Schilling's interest in #Gophers grew stronger after Illinois win. Tough to compete if Ohio St and Mich St offered though."

Go Gophers!!

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247
Gavin Schilling picked up offer from Michigan State this weekend. Also has an Ohio State offer. 247Sports evaluates him this wknd.
Guess OSU is on him too, they too missed out on Nigel Hayes, 247sports also said they would reevaluate him and its likely he will move up in the rankings, he is currently #116 on their site, and there are "rumors" that Gavin could possibly be moved into the top100 by both espn and rivals once its all said and done

"Perhaps even more impressive was the performance of Schilling, who led Findlay Prep with 14 points on 5-for-5 shooting from the field. Since he's been at Findlay Prep, the 6-foot-9 forward has improved tremendously on both ends of the court, especially physically. He is not only more mobile but also significantly stronger.

After the game, Schilling told Rivals that he is still considering 10 schools -- Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, UCLA, Missouri, Oregon State, Villanova, Georgetown and Oklahoma State -- with a decision to come in April. Before then, Schilling plans on taking all of his official visits. He said he could squeeze one visit in before the high school season ends."

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1459068&PT=4&PR=2

Would love to add this guy. Ellis, Foster and Schilling would be an awesome class.

Come to Minnesota Gavin!!!

Would love to add this guy. Ellis, Foster and Schilling would be an awesome class.

Come to Minnesota Gavin!!!

Its helps that he was teammates with those guys in Chicago before transferring, it also helps that the gophers have been on him for awhile, way before he shot up the boards and everyone else jumped on. Him making his decision in April means he will get to see the gophers make a deep run in the tourney, longer than everyone else on his list, that can't hurt our chances :cool:

Also Duke hasn't offered him and are likely never to because they don't have anymore scholarships currently is what I am reading.

Hopefully we are one of his official visits. You'd think the fact we've been on him foreveer, that two of his former teammates are signed, and that we are playing so well that we'd get an official.

Top Bottom