Gavin Schilling visits Mich. St.

This is kind of my thinking, too. If we miss on Schilling why offer a scholarship to an ok player. I really believe that if we keep performing like we are we will be on the radar for some higher level recruits. I know following the recruit since they were a freshman or younger is big for them, but I'd rather take a chance on them than "force" a commitment from an ok player.

I think we have to sign one more player though. If not, we would be down two scholarship players next year. A few injuries and you're really in trouble.

I just don't want a so-so player who only has two years of eligibility left. At least a frosh has four years to develop. Kevin Thomas does seem like a JUCO who will make an impact somewhere, though.

I think we have to sign one more player though. If not, we would be down two scholarship players next year. A few injuries and you're really in trouble.

Good point. I never thought of it that way. I feel like an idiot saying that haha, obviously if we had multiple injuries we'd be screwed. That's my bad for being stupid! I guess we all have those days.

In that case, Tubby and staff better be doing there homework (and I guarantee that they are) so that they find a "diamond in the rough". A so-so recruit won't do it. We need an impact player. I don't mean 10+ ppg and 7+ rbg, but someone who can start and affect the game positively. I'm thinking someone almost like Damian Johnson. Defensive stopper and solid offensive contributor. Maybe there is someone like that, maybe there isn't. We'll just have to wait and see.

delete, double posted for some reason sorry

Hopefully we are one of his official visits. You'd think the fact we've been on him foreveer, that two of his former teammates are signed, and that we are playing so well that we'd get an official.

We were one of his official visits, he made the trip out here in October I believe, think he was here the same weekend Nigel Hayes was here. Think Michigan State was only his 2nd official visit as far as I am aware off

EDIT* just checked and visited on September 8th not in October

I just don't want a so-so player who only has two years of eligibility left. At least a frosh has four years to develop. Kevin Thomas does seem like a JUCO who will make an impact somewhere, though.

If Gavin doesn't commit, than whoever is out there to get would not help us out if we get injuries, the season would be lost either way, might as well save the 2 scholarships and get players who can help the team next year, instead of wasting one on a player who is likely to ride the bench all 4years, and will contribute minimal to the team.

It appears that we may still have a shot a good shot at Gavin. Here's a tweet from @GophersNow:

"Heard Gavin Schilling's interest in #Gophers grew stronger after Illinois win. Tough to compete if Ohio St and Mich St offered though."

If Gavin doesn't commit, than whoever is out there to get would not help us out if we get injuries, the season would be lost either way, might as well save the 2 scholarships and get players who can help the team next year, instead of wasting one on a player who is likely to ride the bench all 4years, and will contribute minimal to the team.

Not if the injuries occur to your bottom two or three players. You can still be very successful with injuries, it just depends who gets injured.

Looks like he is cutting his list soon from 10 to 5
Josh Paunil ‏@JoshPaunilNRS
2013 Findlay Prep PF Gavin Schilling (@GSchills32) looks to cut his list to 5 in the next few weeks. Only official visit was to Minnesota.

Is Schilling a PF?

Did Michigan State come in late on Schilling because they went so hard after Jabari Parker?

It appears that we may still have a shot a good shot at Gavin. Here's a tweet from @GophersNow:

"Heard Gavin Schilling's interest in #Gophers grew stronger after Illinois win. Tough to compete if Ohio St and Mich St offered though."

Not if we kick their asses!

Is Schilling a PF?

Did Michigan State come in late on Schilling because they went so hard after Jabari Parker?

I've seen him listed as both a Center and PF. He'd probably play as a PF in his first year at least with us.

That probably is why. Or maybe they were always pursing him as a backup plan but I have to think their going after him harder because Parker went to Duke.

3 pm CT on ESPNU today as Gavin Schilling and his Findlay Prep team take on Montverde Academy.

The big matchup to watch is potential Gopher Gavin Schilling matching up against #12 Senior and Kentucky Committ Dakari Johnson!

We'll see what he's made of today.

Schilling just fouled out with 5 points. Findlay is down by 3 with 2 minutes left.

5 points? How did he look? I saw him play in the EYBL in Eagan last spring and he looked like Lurch; stiff and unathletic. He may not be what he is being portrayed as. Losing out on Nigel Hayes and Kyle Washington will haunt the team next season.

In a showdown between the top two teams in the Academy Top 10 rankings, Findlay Prep wins.
http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/findlay-prep-pilot-(henderson,nv)/basketball/home.htm

Findlay Prep does it again, rallying past Montverde in the final minutes thanks to Nigel Williams-Goss

The Findlay Prep basketball team Monday overcame another double-digit second half deficit against Montverde Academy.

And, you guessed it, the Pilots’ best player hit the game-winner. Again.

Nigel Williams-Goss scored 18 of his game-high 26 points in the fourth quarter at the Basketball Hall of Fame’s HoopHall Classic in Springfield, Mass., nailing a straight-away 3-pointer at the buzzer to cap the Pilots' comeback in a 62-59 victory, their 42nd consecutive win.

Williams-Goss, a senior who is committed to Washington, also had the game-winner last April against Montverde, hitting a running jumper with one second remaining to help the Pilots climb out of an 18-point hole in the ESPN National High School Invitational Championship title game.

On Monday, Findlay trailed by 12 points with about seven minutes remaining before Williams-Goss stole the show. He had a pair of 3-point plays during the scoring rally, finished with five assists and five rebounds, made 90 percent of his free throws and committed only one turnover.

“It was just a group effort,” Williams-Goss told ESPNU’s sideline reporter after the nationally televised game. “We never stopped believing. We just came together.”

With the game tied at 59 and seconds ticking off the clock, Williams-Goss controlled the ball at the top of the 3-point arc. Last year, he took the ball to the basket and made a runner to win the game, and he scored several baskets Monday in similar fashion.

But, this time, he faked toward the basket, then pulled up and drilled a nothing-but-net 3-pointer as the clock expired. It was a clutch play from the first four-year player in Findlay’s seven-year history, helping the Pilots win a game of top-ranked opponents — Findlay No. 1 by USA, Montverde No. 1 by ESPN Rise.

“I had been getting to the lane pretty easy, so I knew the jump shot would be there,” Williams-Goss told ESPNU. “I have confidence in my jumper.”

Williams-Goss classified the win as a team effort, but for most of the comeback he was a one-man show. Montverde’s Kasey Hill, the nation’s No. 2-ranked point guard, wound up fouling out in the fourth quarter, being outplayed by the ninth-ranked Williams-Goss.

Until the Williams-Goss-led charge in the fourth quarter, Findlay was outplayed in several facets of the game, especially on the inside.

Montverde big man Dakari Johnson, a Kentucky commit and one of the nation’s top recruits for the class of 2013, posted 14 points and seven rebounds in the first half alone to help build a 28-22 halftime lead.

Johnson combined with West Virginia commit Devin Williams to help Montverde win the rebounding battle and control the inside — the duo scored all but six of Montverde’s 28 first-half points, and Williams finished with 16 points and 15 rebounds.

At one point midway through the third quarter, Montverde had more offensive rebounds than Findlay had total rebounds.

Montverde’s Miguel Cartagena had four 3-pointers in the second half, extending the lead to 50-38 with a long-range shot from the corner one minute into the fourth quarter. That was all the damage Montverde would do — Findlay closed the game on a 27-9 run, which included more than Williams-Goss. The Pilots also limited Johnson and Williams on the inside.

“It had to be a collective effort. All five of us had to rebound,” Williams-Goss said.

Findlay forward Christian Wood, a UNLV commit, finished with 15 points, including hitting a pair of third-quarter 3-pointers. Wood, however, is more a finesse power forward, and with the exception of a block against Williams in the fourth quarter, he couldn’t match the physical style of play of the Montverde post players. Both Johnson and Williams had double-doubles of points and rebounds for Montverde, helping their team unofficially win the rebounding battle by more than double digits.

Montverde, however, couldn’t contain Williams-Goss. Again.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/jan/21/findlay-prep-does-it-again-rallying-past-montverde/

I didn't catch the whole game but from the way the announcers sounded Schilling wasn't playing "big". Wasn't impressive when I was watching, but it's not like he wasn't going against good competition as Montverde has some good bigs including Dakari Johnson. With that said I would definitely still take him here!

Sounds like Schilling was really impressed with Michigan St. Schilling said,
Michigan State is a special program with Coach Izzo. I like him a lot. He's a great coach and he really develops players.
This is from SpartanMag a couple weeks ago. An obvious glowing account of his visit with Izzo January 18 after State offers Scholarship Jan. 12. Hope the Gopher coaching staff is staying on top of Schilling.

Top Bottom