Gaudio Out As Wake Forest Basketball Coach

But, yet you've been insisting for the better part of 8 months that Tubby could/would likely be the next coach at NC State. And, now you claim Tubby may not have enough family there? He does have family in North Carolina. WF is 20 miles from where Tubby and Donna went to college together. They have family and friends there. WF is a better job than NC State. You had him wearing Wolfpack red as little as three weeks ago. And, now you believe he wouldn't move to WF because he may not have enough family there? What's changed?

The Georgia job was open 55 weeks ago and Tubby didn't even sniff it. Seems odd if he was just dying to get out of here and move to Georgia that we might have heard his name mentioned with the UGA job last year.

Pardon me, but it seems you're wildly inconsistent with your takes. One day Tubby will be gone within a year. The next he's making plans for the future here. One day NC State will be his destination, the next WF is not close enough to family. You're all over the place.

Box.

Bingo Dingo

Dingo good take... This Dougie Guy is good humor.:clap:

This is a good post ... one that can actually have us have some back and forth without the name calling ... I will admit there is some inconsistency with my 2 statements because expectations at GT and WF are probably similar ... He would've taken the GT job because of the fact that he has family very close to Atlanta and already has super recruiting connections there ... Tubby is uber-competitve and wants to win no doubt, so with the resources in play at GT and the family aspect, he would've hopped on that opportunity ... as for WF, not sure those aspects are completely in place. Between him and Donna, they have family in NC, but not sure if they are as close to Winston-Salem as his family would be if he were in Atlanta.

Eh, I don't really buy the difference between them. I don't know the exact locations of all of Tubby's family, nor do I care. But unless they're right in Atlanta, I think you're splitting hairs saying he'd be closer to them at GT then WF. I can get in my car right now from Charlottesville and be in Atlanta in 10 hours. Less then that from NC obviously. And you're talking about someone with enough money to hop on a plane anytime he wants.

As for the jobs themselves, they're very simliar. Other then GT's 2004 Final Four appearance, the sucess they've had over the last 20 years is very similar (good but not quite good enough.) They've both been competative in the ACC through multiple coaching regimes, etc. WF has more talent at this moment and a pre-made top recruiting class that Tubby could probably keep together.

So, I'm still not buying your take that he was 'gone' to GT but isn't interested in WF. It's one or the other. And as others have pointed out, you were pretty much the lone voice trying to give traction to NC State rumors. NC State is a much worse job then WF. Thier fans have much more of inferiority complex to Duke and UNC and subsequently even more unrealistic expectations. And they've had much less recent sucess. There's few BCS jobs in America I'd want less then NC State unless my only goal was to cash my check and get out of town.

But, yet you've been insisting for the better part of 8 months that Tubby could/would likely be the next coach at NC State. And, now you claim Tubby may not have enough family there? He does have family in North Carolina. WF is 20 miles from where Tubby and Donna went to college together. They have family and friends there. WF is a better job than NC State. You had him wearing Wolfpack red as little as three weeks ago. And, now you believe he wouldn't move to WF because he may not have enough family there? What's changed?

The Georgia job was open 55 weeks ago and Tubby didn't even sniff it. Seems odd if he was just dying to get out of here and move to Georgia that we might have heard his name mentioned with the UGA job last year.

Pardon me, but it seems you're wildly inconsistent with your takes. One day Tubby will be gone within a year. The next he's making plans for the future here. One day NC State will be his destination, the next WF is not close enough to family. You're all over the place.

I have been some, yes ... some based on different conversations with people day-to-day ...What I have been led to believe is this: This is the perfect job in his mind in many ways ... there is the chance to win at a very high level, which he desires, but if he doesn't, he's not in danger of losing his job like the guy at WF, or run out of town like he was in Lexington ... he also enjoys being able to escape the spotlight here for many months ... What would cause him to leave would be his desire to be closer to his family after his father's death took a big-time toll on him ... I was told he has thought about all these things, including the possibility that the "U" would make Saul the coach-in-waiting and he would stay here for 5 more years ... tough spot to be in ... stay at a place he likes for the most part (but upset over lack of movement on practice facility) and Saul is able to be on his staff ... or leave to be closer to his family and a place that his wife would enjoy more, with no assurances in regards to Saul.
I have attempted to bring these viewpoints to this message board, which I enjoy for the most part, but many have a hard time having a civil conversation, and want to believe it's very black-and-white, when in fact there is a ton of gray area.

This is a very interesting discussion...the role of the media towards the teams that it covers.

At one end of the spectrum, you have those that are based in a market where negativity drives ratings. Turmoil drive speculation which drives an audience. These markets tend to be the larger ones, with a diverse demographic(in many ways) and many teams to cover.

At the other end of the spectrum, you have protectors of a program/team. This type of media tends to reside in a smaller market with a homogenious population(in many ways) with fewer teams. The demographics are as such that negativity will drive away the audience. The protection of the program/team often comes from pressure from the program/team and the audience.

We all know here the Twin Cities market fits into this spectrum. It's about as skewed as any market in the country. I've lived in markets at both ends and it's fascinating to me how the media plays for ratings given the market.

My conclusion: All Doogie is doing is playing to the ratings. Speculative journalism thrives in this type of market. As bad as it may sound, we're (Gopher fans) a niche player in the market where we're the exception to the rule. We don't expect protecters of the program in the media but unlike Vikings fans, we won't take kindly to kicking a man when he's down (or insert your favorite equivalent saying). Doogie's bit, and others of his ilk, won't play well here on this site but would for the professional teams in this town.

Wake has a quality program and the right location to attrack Tubby, but with Cory and the potential roster we will have next year he's not going anywhere just yet.

Well said Pewter. Pretty much sums up why I avoid sports talk radio. Will listen only when it's someone's opinion that I respect. Not many of those in the Twin Cities radio market.

Lou Nanne (when he's on Danny B's show) is about the only guy I'll go out of my way to listen to, and I'm not even a hockey guy. Louie is an impressive individual. What he says carries weight with me. No BS. Trent on Saturday mornings is another one I'll listen to. That's about it. The majority of the hosts are trying to get people to listen to their show by throwing s*it on the wall, hoping that a couple pieces of feces stick. That kind of radio just doesn't interest me.

Not a big fan of the war of words, but for me to completely ignore is tough ... I see it, and it can get to me, especially knowing FOT's background, and how he thinks I am clueless ... FOT: I have heard the stories ... your moniker is a terrible representation of how you are with Tubby.

Like him or not, FOT has been 100% more accurate then any "journalist" in this town when it comes to Tubby's actions.

You've been extremely up and down with your posts here, but your work in this thread is really beyond embarrassing.

I have been some, yes ... some based on different conversations with people day-to-day ...What I have been led to believe is this: This is the perfect job in his mind in many ways ... there is the chance to win at a very high level, which he desires, but if he doesn't, he's not in danger of losing his job like the guy at WF, or run out of town like he was in Lexington ... he also enjoys being able to escape the spotlight here for many months ... What would cause him to leave would be his desire to be closer to his family after his father's death took a big-time toll on him ... I was told he has thought about all these things, including the possibility that the "U" would make Saul the coach-in-waiting and he would stay here for 5 more years ... tough spot to be in ... stay at a place he likes for the most part (but upset over lack of movement on practice facility) and Saul is able to be on his staff ... or leave to be closer to his family and a place that his wife would enjoy more, with no assurances in regards to Saul.
I have attempted to bring these viewpoints to this message board, which I enjoy for the most part, but many have a hard time having a civil conversation, and want to believe it's very black-and-white, when in fact there is a ton of gray area.

Seriously, what is with the ellipses? Why can't you just use a period?

I am honestly asking. I don't get it. It takes your incorrect "journalism" and makes it seem even more baseless and juvenile.

This is a very interesting discussion...the role of the media towards the teams that it covers.

At one end of the spectrum, you have those that are based in a market where negativity drives ratings. Turmoil drive speculation which drives an audience. These markets tend to be the larger ones, with a diverse demographic(in many ways) and many teams to cover.

At the other end of the spectrum, you have protectors of a program/team. This type of media tends to reside in a smaller market with a homogenious population(in many ways) with fewer teams. The demographics are as such that negativity will drive away the audience. The protection of the program/team often comes from pressure from the program/team and the audience.

We all know here the Twin Cities market fits into this spectrum. It's about as skewed as any market in the country. I've lived in markets at both ends and it's fascinating to me how the media plays for ratings given the market.

My conclusion: All Doogie is doing is playing to the ratings. Speculative journalism thrives in this type of market. As bad as it may sound, we're (Gopher fans) a niche player in the market where we're the exception to the rule. We don't expect protecters of the program in the media but unlike Vikings fans, we won't take kindly to kicking a man when he's down (or insert your favorite equivalent saying). Doogie's bit, and others of his ilk, won't play well here on this site but would for the professional teams in this town.

Exception to the rule? Most takes on this board are of the speculative variety.

Like him or not, FOT has been 100% more accurate then any "journalist" in this town when it comes to Tubby's actions.

You've been extremely up and down with your posts here, but your work in this thread is really beyond embarrassing.

How would you know if he is accurate? He claims to have Tubby's personal email ... that true? The stories are out there on FOT. He has been stalker-like.

Exception to the rule? Most takes on this board are of the speculative variety.

You and I both know there's a huge difference between media (print, TV, radio) and a message board. There will always be some fickle fans on a message board.

How would you know if he is accurate?

Tubby's still the coach, isn't he?

He claims to have Tubby's personal email ... that true? The stories are out there on FOT. He has been stalker-like.

Again your premise is based on "stories." Will you ever hold yourself to a higher standard? Or are you just along for the ride emulating your friends in the media?

Cue the response asking for my real name, as if that will prove something. If i told you my name was John Smith, would that make my posts somehow more important?

How would you know if he is accurate? He claims to have Tubby's personal email ... that true? The stories are out there on FOT. He has been stalker-like.

And you claim to have sources, but we all know that you don't!

How would we know if he is accurate? Look I don't like FOT but in saying that Tubby is staying here, he has been right. In all your stupid uninformed garbage opinions, you have been terribly wrong.

The stories are out there on you...you know nothing.

And you claim to have sources, but we all know that you don't!

How would we know if he is accurate? Look I don't like FOT but in saying that Tubby is staying here, he has been right. In all your stupid uninformed garbage opinions, you have been terribly wrong.

The stories are out there on you...you know nothing.

Exactly. If two people are always spouting off and one is consistently right and the other consistently wrong, who do you think we should believe?

There are many times when FOT gets tiresome, is annoying, and says dumb things. He is also not really a Gopher fan at all. HOWEVER, I have no reason to doubt he has some kind of a connection to Tubby because what he says is far more often correct than what the media in this town says.

When he says Tubby will be here, I actually feel a little better. And I put way more stock into it than these other reports.

This thing has become a circus that was 100% media driven, starting with the CBS d-bag that said he was "close to signing" with Auburn. The only thing more pathetic than the lies and inaccuracy is the lame attempts at backtracking and covering up mistakes by the media members.

Do Doogies bosses know about his actions? They should. He certainly does not represent them well, and the alienation of their core customers can't be good for business.

Do Doogies bosses know about his actions? They should. He certainly does not represent them well, and the alienation of their core customers can't be good for business.

I would guess they do not. His idiotic ramblings make his employers look bad. I for one will never listen to his show or station and I guarantee I'm not alone.

I personally find all of this hilarious

Why have so many of us wasted so much time posting our thoughts on this ridiculous battle, and perhaps more intriguing, why did I find the need to read everything that was written. It should be perfectly clear to all involved that this is really just a battle of machisimo. Everyone wants to be right and smarter then the others involved. Well without taking a side, I will tell you what I know; Doogie gets a lot wrong and FOT is really creepy. There is no right side to this argument and it enhances none of our lives to perpetuate it.

or leave to be closer to his family and a place that his wife would enjoy more

There you go again. Doogie, you need to substantiate that claim by naming names of the people who are making the claim that Donna is miserable or quit using it. It's nothing more than rumor and innuendo and you use this specific one on a weekly basis.

Jonathan: What actions? Providing my opinion, like Rob and Nadine have encouraged me to do from Day 1 here on GH, and taken care of me to do so ... When hosting on radio, you are asked to provide opinion ... when I anchored at Ch. 9, I was encouraged to write with an edge ... The Star Tribune provided me with a blog called "Your Voices" ... I guess I'm missing what you're talking about. Alienation of the core customers ... what does that mean? I will always choose to talk a lot about the Gophers because of my passion ... I hope people choose to listen, but can't force anyone to do so. By the way, you are more than welcome to join me anytime for a healthy back-and-forth ... in fact, want to come in next week and do a podcast with me? We can have a nice little debate.

There you go again. Doogie, you need to substantiate that claim by naming names of the people who are making the claim that Donna is miserable or quit using it. It's nothing more than rumor and innuendo and you use this specific one on a weekly basis.

You do realize that if reporters named all their sources that give them info then they run the risk of never getting info from these sources again. I am not saying whether this claim is true or not and neither can you. It is ridiculous however to expect the media to reveal sources who give them inside or off the record information. Again I am not talking about any specific claims by any media but just because a source isn't revealed does not mean it isn't true.

I, too, value civil discourse. But you can't make wild speculative assersions about the inner thoughts, convictions, and values of someone you don't know(and also, you've apparently have proven yourself not reliable with past inaccurate predictions). You can't do that and then hide behind "Hey, I'm just throwing my opinions in, let's be civil." when people call you on it.

It's more than thinking he may or may not leave. You are placing motivations on Tubby (i.e. his desire to viewed as "super", him only being here because the possibility of Saul succeeding him, etc,) that you absolutley have know way of knowing, and in a covert way maligns the character of the man.

There is nothing civil about assuming the worst in people. It drags the discourse down into meanness and gossip. And there are a lot of smart people on this board who will call you on it.

So, if you desire civilty, show it, and it will be returned to you.

People only get pissed when Doogie posts something that will have a negative effect on the team. If Doogie posted only butt-licking posts I bet no one would get into wars or words with him. If he posted "Tubby's wife loves it here and Tubby will never leave" people would never jump on him like this.

People only get pissed when Doogie posts something that will have a negative effect on the team. If Doogie posted only butt-licking posts I bet no one would get into wars or words with him. If he posted "Tubby's wife loves it here and Tubby will never leave" people would never jump on him like this.

I don't agree with this gopherbadgerman. Friend of Tubby makes claims about Tubby staying and he gets jumped on for the same reasons Doogie gets jumped on. They both claim to know things that nobody except Tubby Smith actually knows.

Having watched this latest dust-up between FOT and Doogie, it appears that there are two trains of thought here: 1. That FOT is actually creepy and a stalker and, 2. That Doogie doesn't know what he's talking about.

I like the fact that Doogie has been encouraged to write with an edge by his employers. However, writing with an edge doesn't imply the need for wild speculation at every turn. Plenty of folks can write good, thought-provoking stuff without getting facts either largely or completely wrong. Is this Tubby's last stop? Nobody knows (literally). That's a decision for him, his wife and his family to discuss. As such, mentioning Tubby's name for every major college job that comes open because it's supposedly thought-provoking or edgy doesn't cut it. All it does under current circumstances if cover the same territory over and over and over again and therefore has the opposite effect.

As to whether FOT is a stalker or whatever, all I can say is that he has been proven correct on several occasions. And at this point, that's all I can judge him on. The rest is between FOT, Tubby and whoever is supplying Doogie with stories of FOT being a stalker.

If Doogie posted only butt-licking posts I bet no one would get into wars or words with him.

Probably not. Of course I haven't seen him post and/or write anything positive about the Gophers or Tubby Smith so I guess we'll never know will we?

Doogie's obsession with finding out people's names puts him more in the stalker category than FOT.

You do realize that if reporters named all their sources that give them info then they run the risk of never getting info from these sources again. I am not saying whether this claim is true or not and neither can you. It is ridiculous however to expect the media to reveal sources who give them inside or off the record information. Again I am not talking about any specific claims by any media but just because a source isn't revealed does not mean it isn't true.

This might be true. But if you only have one source and they won't go on the record, the proper thing is to hold that information until you can confirm it. If you can't find a second source that will confirm it, you don't really have anything. But Doogie's (and many 'jounalists now) standard is appearantly that 1 off-the-record source is enough to put anything and everything out there.

Doogie's obsession with finding out people's names puts him more in the stalker category than FOT.

I disagree. He is fighting a one sided debate (most of the time) because others know exactly who he is, what he does, where he works, and will slam him with personal insults, yet Doogie doesn't know who these people are. It takes zero courage to sling insults behind an internet moniker.

Top Bottom