Gard in some trouble?

Everything I’ve heard from my inside source is that these players are petty and immature

that is what I had heard well before the leak. It’s on Gaard for recruiting them more than it is for how this all transpired.

I am On the record thinking Gaard is a decent coach who has the unfortunate circumstance as not being nearly as good as his predecessor. The next two years will determine if he is there for 2 or 15

My source is the parent of a player on the team

Last edited:

The consensus is that Alando Tucker, a former star player and short term recent assistant is the main suspect for the recording and leak. Allegedly he was making a push to Barry to fire Gard at some point, although this is pure speculation based on no hard evidence.

Greg Gard , who I fully support in this dispute, actually comes out of this mess pretty well, even if it does not help recruiting. The man appears to be pretty stand up guy and allowed these whiners to have their say. The former players from the Bo Ryan days (Dekker, Braun) seem to be behind him as do the remaining younger players.

The seven players on the tape do not come off very well, at least on the transcripts I have seen . Sure enough, Reuvers again is a big, spoiled, dopey punk.

Later in life, I'd sure like to hear a good explanation before I'd hire any of these seven weasels to work for me in the non- basketball world. Several of these players including Trice, Davison, and Reuvers have annoyed me for years, so this is no surprise.
For his sake, I hope Tucker isn't the one who leaked this. I would think any coaching job moving forward he will be asked about this incident, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to hire him if he's the source of the leak.

Well, when you're raised in Lakeville and Maple Grove .........

;)

For his sake, I hope Tucker isn't the one who leaked this. I would think any coaching job moving forward he will be asked about this incident, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to hire him if he's the source of the leak.
Career problem.

I side with Gard on this one. Sure, the optics aren’t good with the leak, but these seniors (except for Davison, who stayed) sound like a bunch of whining pu**ies.

Reuvers (and these other seniors) are unlikeable crybabies, who have been coddled their entire lives.

Eh, ultimately this is a big nothingburger to me. Gard maybe has some growing to do when it comes to all aspects of being a head coach, but his results haven’t been terrible so he’ll get a couple years to work on it as long as next season isn’t a disaster. He let his players talk and listened to them, which is what a coach should do when a group of seniors have an issue.

Don’t see anything wrong with what the players did. They felt like their coach didn’t give a bleep about them other than basketball. Every program preaches that they’re a family, and they felt like that wasn’t the case. So they told their coach to his face in what was supposed to be a closed door meeting.

I suppose it’s BS to leak a recording of a private meeting. I also remember a few posters here calling out Coach K when he said that he would never allow someone like Abar Rouse (who recorded and then released audio of private meetings as Baylor assistant coach) on his staff.

My dislike of the Badgers is strong, but I don’t think this is going to hurt the program that much.

Eh, ultimately this is a big nothingburger to me. Gard maybe has some growing to do when it comes to all aspects of being a head coach, but his results haven’t been terrible so he’ll get a couple years to work on it as long as next season isn’t a disaster. He let his players talk and listened to them, which is what a coach should do when a group of seniors have an issue.

Don’t see anything wrong with what the players did. They felt like their coach didn’t give a bleep about them other than basketball. Every program preaches that they’re a family, and they felt like that wasn’t the case. So they told their coach to his face in what was supposed to be a closed door meeting.

I suppose it’s BS to leak a recording of a private meeting. I also remember a few posters here calling out Coach K when he said that he would never allow someone like Abar Rouse (who recorded and then released audio of private meetings as Baylor assistant coach) on his staff.

My dislike of the Badgers is strong, but I don’t think this is going to hurt the program that much.
I

The criticism of Gard seems pretty damning to me and his relationship with players sounded broken over the long term. Gard is 50 and isn't a newby. Maybe he can change moving forward but I would think it more likely that this is ongoing and he'll revert to form. Of course winning solves many of these problems.

it's not going to lead demise of Wisconsin basketball we all keep hoping for

Wisconsin is more than likely past their peak, but they should remain consistently good team in the running for the B1G, which is what most of us want for our gophers

Well I tell you this, if you're a smart coach going forward then whenever one or more of your players says they want to have a "private" meeting ..... you tell them they have to leave their cellphones outside the room.

Should be step 0.

Very interesting take here on Gard and the slow deterioration of the culture within Wisconsin basketball since he took over from Bo.

Thanks for posting. For those claiming this happens everywhere, the UW reporter who's closer to this than most of us, disagrees:

I’ve been told over and over since Monday that difficult discussions happen behind closed doors in pro and college athletic programs all the time. They’re opportunities to vent and make sure everyone’s on the same page.

But multiple former athletes I checked in with Tuesday thought this sounded different. It was seven players directing pointed criticism at a coach, one by one until everyone had spoken at least once, and it went on for a long time. Even if the hour-plus of that meeting we didn’t hear painted a completely different picture, it was jaw-dropping to hear some of the things the seniors had to say during the recording.

Even more telling was what wasn’t said Monday when I reached out to players for comment. The only player who went to bat for Gard on the record was Brad Davison, the only one in the group who’s returning to the team for the 2021-22 season.

Another player thought the session was productive and appreciated that Gard was willing to sit and listen for that long without interrupting. But that same player didn’t want to be identified because he’d reiterated some of the same complaints that were brought up that day.

Others, given the chance to add context to the meeting or go to bat for their former coach, chose to remain silent.

Go Gophers!!

Well I tell you this, if you're a smart coach going forward then whenever one or more of your players says they want to have a "private" meeting ..... you tell them they have to leave their cellphones outside the room.

Should be step 0.

Well, in this case, it sounds like it wasn't one of the players...rather the programs all time leading scorer who was on the coaching staff at the time.

This is like Voshon Leonard or Mychal Thompson recording this while on staff and leaking it.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for posting. For those claiming this happens everywhere, the UW reporter who's closer to this than most of us, disagrees:

I’ve been told over and over since Monday that difficult discussions happen behind closed doors in pro and college athletic programs all the time. They’re opportunities to vent and make sure everyone’s on the same page.

But multiple former athletes I checked in with Tuesday thought this sounded different. It was seven players directing pointed criticism at a coach, one by one until everyone had spoken at least once, and it went on for a long time. Even if the hour-plus of that meeting we didn’t hear painted a completely different picture, it was jaw-dropping to hear some of the things the seniors had to say during the recording.

Even more telling was what wasn’t said Monday when I reached out to players for comment. The only player who went to bat for Gard on the record was Brad Davison, the only one in the group who’s returning to the team for the 2021-22 season.

Another player thought the session was productive and appreciated that Gard was willing to sit and listen for that long without interrupting. But that same player didn’t want to be identified because he’d reiterated some of the same complaints that were brought up that day.

Others, given the chance to add context to the meeting or go to bat for their former coach, chose to remain silent.

Go Gophers!!
So why would bitter players leaving the program go to bat for him?

Good luck with that. His ex players rave about him and come back to Cville all the time. I referenced the UW problem months ago. No doubt part is on Gard, part is on thin skinned players.
The gripes against him are vague: "didn't have our backs," etc. To me that's a flag that the players are out of sorts for a number of reasons--not the least of which is pandemic-related stuff--and Gard is an easy target. That said, part/much of what a coach does is talent management, communication, absentee parenting, etc. It's likely that he doesn't focus on those aspects as much as he should. I have to say, Pitino seemed to be very good at that stuff.

"His focus for now needs to be on forming relationships, building trust and establishing a culture."

Hmmm. I thought that is what Ben needed to do here. We've been told repeatedly here on GH from BADGER that the culture in Madison was spectacular and Gard just excellent.

"His focus for now needs to be on forming relationships, building trust and establishing a culture."

Hmmm. I thought that is what Ben needed to do here. We've been told repeatedly here on GH from BADGER that the culture in Madison was spectacular and Gard just excellent.
You lead a sad and hollow life.

There is no vendetta. Pointing out the out and out lies of BADGER is required. For anyone that despises lies.
Funny, not a peep from you as his lies have been proven.
I find the quarrel between you two trivial and stupid and generally ignore you and your quest to prove Built wrong and was seconding another poster

I'm not sure why you'd expect me to comment, I don't tout Built or back him up at every turn

I'm too old to worry about message board drama and the pissing matches between few posters

Last edited:

I find the quarrel between you two trivial and stupid and generally ignore you and you're quest to prove Built wrong and was seconding another poster

I'm not sure why you'd expect me to comment, I don't tout Built or back him up at every turn

I'm too old to worry about message board drama and the pissing matches between few posters
Is there a word for a quarrel where only one side is quarrelsome? I think built has done very well at politely acknowledging the stalking and the (very few) legitimate issues raised but not legitimize the stalker.

The article by the Wisconsin writer - Polzin - basically makes the point that Gard is trying to coach like Bo Ryan - but he is not Bo Ryan and that style may not work for him long-term. Players would accept harsh criticism from Ryan, but they are not accepting the same type of criticism from Gard.

also makes the point that Gard is considered a very good X's and O's coach, but needs to improve how he works and communicates with his assistant coaches and players.

Top Bottom