Gard in some trouble?

"Potter called out Gard for not having players’ backs, specifically Davison’s. Players — and some fans — felt Davison was being treated unfairly by Big Ten officials." LOL Potter seems a little out of touch as to how Davison is known to play.
A crewcut will take you far in life.

Most people on Buckyville are blaming the messenger, not the message.
Many fans think any criticism of a team or coach is being disloyal.
To this observer I think it it is safe to say considering the W/L results to say that Gard has not been the recruiter nor the 'winner' that Bo Ryan was.
The fact that all the players were unhappy and none of the newer players spoke up to defend Gard mens to me the message better be listened to by the new AD and Gard.
The next two years will be critical for him and the program.

To this observer I think it it is safe to say considering the W/L results to say that Gard has not been the recruiter nor the 'winner' that Bo Ryan was.
The fact that all the players were unhappy and none of the newer players spoke up to defend Gard mens to me the message better be listened to by the new AD and Gard.
Gard isn't as good as one of the winningest Big Ten coaches of all time? Shocking.

Also, it was a seniors-only meeting, there were no "newer players" in the meeting.

"Potter called out Gard for not having players’ backs, specifically Davison’s. Players — and some fans — felt Davison was being treated unfairly by Big Ten officials." LOL Potter seems a little out of touch as to how Davison is known to play.
The irony is almost everyone else thought Gard was defending him too much and making too many excuses for Davison instead of trying to stop him from being a dirty player to begin with.

I reported this a bit a go. Some of this was driven by the underclass men that were super upset when informed by the seniors that they may come back for another year.

Most people on Buckyville are blaming the messenger, not the message.
Many fans think any criticism of a team or coach is being disloyal.
The next two years will be critical for him and the program.
Agree with a bunch of this. Bo was tougher than this on players but no excuse. these are Gregs players. If they can not take it, do not recruit them. Once you have them do not take them over the line. Clearly a breakdown in communication. Different for every individual. The best i ever have seen at this has been someone who pushes players hard physically and mentally but never at the lack of respect or trust.

I’ve got nothing to add other than I hope this impacts their recruiting of Minnesota.
isnt this the main issue? MN looks strong for 2022 and 2023 and looks like WI might be down a bit, so Badgers might have to do more fishing in MN?

Honestly, taking off my laughing at anything that is remotely bad for Wisconsin glasses, I don't think the players or Gard really look bad. It's good for a team to have an open discussion where people lay their grievances on the table and openly discuss solutions.

The only person that looks bad is whomever recorded and leaked a private conversation.

And Dekker was treated much harsher by Ryan but that does not exonerate Gard. Of course some of this falls on the players as well.
Interesting example of how different it is when you move 18" over to the big seat. Former Bo players loved Gard. Interesting to see this group turn on him so dramatically. In his statement he stood up for his players having the right to say their piece and they have gotten a couple good recruiting classes in a row. I don't think it's as dire as many want to make it.

Must be nice to have things falling apart and you still are an 8 seed in the tourney with a .500 B1G record.

A few months back Built you mentioned that there were issues within the Wisconsin program that would be coming out and that you could not say too much more without breaking confidence.

Is this the big news or should we expect another?

Honestly, taking off my laughing at anything that is remotely bad for Wisconsin glasses, I don't think the players or Gard really look bad. It's good for a team to have an open discussion where people lay their grievances on the table and openly discuss solutions.

The only person that looks bad is whomever recorded and leaked a private conversation.
I agree about letting everything out in the open, but you honestly think word getting out that players would not give a recommendation to play at wisconsin because it's a bad culture and gard doesnt support his players isnt a bad thing?

I agree about letting everything out in the open, but you honestly think word getting out that players would not give a recommendation to play at wisconsin because it's a bad culture and gard doesnt support his players isnt a bad thing?
If it's just this one group of seniors then it will pass. If it's truly more like they all say it is (even though Davison returned????) then yes.

Obviously there is something wrong in the program when your SRs call out your coach and one of them leaks the discussion to the media.

Whoever leaked this to the media is the biggest loser in this entire thing. If the players knew about the "set up", they are equally to blame. It was also really odd form too. Everything you need to know about why Gard was annoyed with Nate Ruevers this year you could tell by the way he talked. He sounded like a 5th grader standing up for himself for the first time.

Obviously there is something wrong in the program when your SRs call out your coach and one of them leaks the discussion to the media.

Whoever leaked this to the media is the biggest loser in this entire thing. If the players knew about the "set up", they are equally to blame. It was also really odd form too. Everything you need to know about why Gard was annoyed with Nate Ruevers this year you could tell by the way he talked. He sounded like a 5th grader standing up for himself for the first time.

The consensus is that Alando Tucker, a former star player and short term recent assistant is the main suspect for the recording and leak. Allegedly he was making a push to Barry to fire Gard at some point, although this is pure speculation based on no hard evidence.

Greg Gard , who I fully support in this dispute, actually comes out of this mess pretty well, even if it does not help recruiting. The man appears to be pretty stand up guy and allowed these whiners to have their say. The former players from the Bo Ryan days (Dekker, Braun) seem to be behind him as do the remaining younger players.

The seven players on the tape do not come off very well, at least on the transcripts I have seen . Sure enough, Reuvers again is a big, spoiled, dopey punk.

Later in life, I'd sure like to hear a good explanation before I'd hire any of these seven weasels to work for me in the non- basketball world. Several of these players including Trice, Davison, and Reuvers have annoyed me for years, so this is no surprise.

The consensus is that Alando Tucker, a former star player and short term recent assistant is the main suspect for the recording and leak. Allegedly he was making a push to Barry to fire Gard at some point, although this is pure speculation based on no hard evidence.

Greg Gard , who I fully support in this dispute, actually comes out of this mess pretty well, even if it does not help recruiting. The man appears to be pretty stand up guy and allowed these whiners to have their say. The former players from the Bo Ryan days (Dekker, Braun) seem to be behind him as do the remaining younger players.

The seven players on the tape do not come off very well, at least on the transcripts I have seen . Sure enough, Reuvers again is a big, spoiled, dopey punk.

Later in life, I'd sure like to hear a good explanation before I'd hire any of these seven weasels to work for me in the non- basketball world. Several of these players including Trice, Davison, and Reuvers have annoyed me for years, so this is no surprise.
Great post. What was revealed was edited. Still, it does affect recruiting in some way.

From a viewers standpoint, I found WI, MN and VA to be almost unwatchable all of the Covid season.
If VA fell behind they had no chance of winning despite their defense and lack of TOs for their offense was dismal.
MN was not well coached and lacked skilled players.
WI was indifferent on defense. sloppy with the ball and could not shoot except in streaks.
I saved a lot of lost hours by turning off all three teams off early in their games.

What was the gist of the now-deleted tweet?

View attachment 13133
It said:

Former Badger Sam Dekker joined the fray on Twitter on Tuesday. In a tweet that he later deleted, Dekker wrote, "Who the hell gave these guys the idea that they're bigger than the program? Never been angrier reading an article. And recording a meeting is the softest thing I've ever seen. Grow up. Coaches coach. Gard isn't the one on a 8 min scoring drought every game. Get outta here."

Body cams on coaches so we are assured players don’t get their feelings hurt is the only solution. Decker in typical fashion deletes his tweet because he’s afraid of the mob reaction. Come on stand up for your beliefs. Wisconsin sucks but the group of seniors suck more and the lack of character of the clown who leaked the tape is off the charts.

I think a thing like this can have an impact on future recruiting.

Many are quickly labeling the players as soft, weak, soft skinned, etc…, which I find ridiculous. So many of the great coaches build life long relationships with their players and truly care about players personal development and life long goals. Yes, there were the Bobby Knights that kicked the sh!t out of his players, but that type of abuse is no longer tolerated. Players and their families do not want to be treated like a piece of meat.

Top Bottom