Game security with no sense

Brought my 15 month old to the Eastern Illinois game in one of those aluminum hiking backpacks with the storage compartment filled with treats and water for her. At first the guard said "No Backpacks" then he saw my child was in it and said, "Oh never mind come on in". Didn't need a child ticket and we actually stood the entire game behind our section. The yellow line police we more attentive than the gate guys.

Brought our 9 month old to the game Saturday with the diaper bag filled with baby food, bottles, etc. Security guard briefly looked in and let us through. There were also no issues with not having a child's ticket. Maybe it was different because he is still a baby but I would just assume you caught the wrong dude on the wrong day.

If the story was true, that dude should not be there on any day. These are the kinds of experiences that affect what kind of environment the Stadium has, and that drives attendance.

My favorite was one game last year where the security dude at our gate either had been told, or got overly excited all by himself to check under everyone's cap. He did a full inspection of each hat as he asked everyone to remove them and show them to him. There was absolutely zero chance anyone was going to be sneaking anything in under their hats that day. Meanwhile, both my Jr. high aged son and wife had both completely zoned out and forgotten about a couple items: My wife had a big zip lock back bulging with jello shots in her purse, and my son was carrying a half drank 20+ ounce gaterade. The security guy spent all his time inspecting their hats and tops of their heads, and completely missed the gaterade and jello shots. My wife remembered them right away as the security guy finished up with her hat and asked to look in her purse... and then nearly gasped as she just continued in after he waved her by. As for my son, I noticed him drinking his gaterade in the seat next to me so I asked him where he got it. That is when he mentioned he carried it in full view but nobody said anything because they were too concerned about his hat to apparantly notice it.

It all just depends which gate you enter and at what time. Anything can happen. We have Gopher seat cushions and about 70% of the time nobody even looks at them. On rare occasions we get a guard that goes through every zipper and pocket in the seat cushions. You never know.

Your point is well-taken. However, to the bold, I once had a girlfriend whose younger brother smuggled an extra cheeseburger out of an all-you-can-eat buffet under his camouflage ballcap.

I brought my daughter from pre-birth until she was pushing 2. Never had a problem. Daddy's "sippy cup" used to go in the huge flowery diaper bag along with her sippy cup, snacks, diapers, etc. Never searched. Never questioned.

You've been stopped by jerks. Ask to speak to a supervisor the next time this happens.

Remember the security guard who was tackling and shoulder-blocking kids as they ran down onto the field? Maybe he got demoted to gatekeeper.

OK, I am going to get flamed for this, but why do parents feel the need to haul their children to every event they attend?

Full disclosure - I am single, and I don't like kids. I've just had too many bad experiences at movies, concerts, sporting events - you name it - with kids crying and carrying on. As far as I'm concerned, if you can afford tix to a game, you can afford to hire a baby-sitter for a few hours. It's not like your 2-year-old is looking forward to analyzing the Gopher's defensive schemes.

And don't get me started on parents who bring kids to HS games, and let the kids run wild while the parents talk with their friends. In real life, I cover HS games for a small-market radio station. I was doing a basketball game one night, and an unsupervised kid was running back and forth in front of me, and at one point, grabbed my notes and stat sheets and pulled them off my table. If I wasn't sitting in front of a whole section of people (or witnesses), I would have kicked the little bastard into the next county.

end of rant.

OK, I am going to get flamed for this, but why do parents feel the need to haul their children to every event they attend?

Full disclosure - I am single, and I don't like kids. I've just had too many bad experiences at movies, concerts, sporting events - you name it - with kids crying and carrying on. As far as I'm concerned, if you can afford tix to a game, you can afford to hire a baby-sitter for a few hours. It's not like your 2-year-old is looking forward to analyzing the Gopher's defensive schemes.

And don't get me started on parents who bring kids to HS games, and let the kids run wild while the parents talk with their friends. In real life, I cover HS games for a small-market radio station. I was doing a basketball game one night, and an unsupervised kid was running back and forth in front of me, and at one point, grabbed my notes and stat sheets and pulled them off my table. If I wasn't sitting in front of a whole section of people (or witnesses), I would have kicked the little bastard into the next county.

end of rant.

after reading this pathetic post, i'm not the least bit surprised you are single.

Your point is well-taken. However, to the bold, I once had a girlfriend whose younger brother smuggled an extra cheeseburger out of an all-you-can-eat buffet under his camouflage ballcap.

It was camo. Of course they couldn't see it.

And don't get me started on parents who bring kids to HS games, and let the kids run wild while the parents talk with their friends.

You're right, you should get flamed.

In real life, I cover HS games for a small-market radio station. I was doing a basketball game one night, and an unsupervised kid was running back and forth in front of me, and at one point, grabbed my notes and stat sheets and pulled them off my table.

Those parent should be flamed. Not all parents, just the ones who are that clueless

If I wasn't sitting in front of a whole section of people (or witnesses), I would have kicked the little bastard into the next county.

And back to getting flamed.

If something like this happens, ask to talk to a supervisor. The security guy will get corrected, and it wont happen again.

And with regards to kids going to games, kids LOVE games. So much going on and so much to keep them occupied. Not to mention we are building a fan base from a very young age. And if a kid is crying, that only helps our D on third downs by creating more noise!

after reading this pathetic post, i'm not the least bit surprised you are single.

Or childless for that matter. Nudge Nudge.

I didn't know the Bugermeister Meisterburger was Norwegian.

What is the thinking behind the child ticket?

I thought about starting a new thread for this but I will post it here as I realize non-American Gopher fans at TCF are very much a niche market.

I was down with three friends for last Saturday's game and some baseball at Target Field. When I tried to buy beer at TCF, I was carded and showed my Manitoba Driver's License. Upon showing my ID, I was told it was policy to not accept Canadian driver's licenses and that I needed my passport. I thought the person just didn't know how to handle the situation but experienced the same situation at two other vendors. They were quite apologetic but were also very clear on the policy.

Maybe there is a problem with students using fake Canadian IDs? If so, then perhaps there should be discretion? I am 45 and could not get served. Everywhere else in Minneapolis took the MB license without blinking an eye.

I would be ok if it was confusion but it appears that the U has articulated a policy that restricts normal ids for non-US attendees. It is ridiculous to think people should have to show a passport as an ID. It is also lost business. There are a decent amount of Canadian attendees at Gopher games, especially if there is a Viking game the next day.

FWIW, on-line policies do not match what is going on:

https://www.mygophersports.com/Online/football-event-information#policies

What are the alcohol policies on game day?

Alcohol sales in TCF Bank Stadium will start 90 minutes prior to kickoff and end at the end of the 3rd quarter. Patrons will be limited to two alcoholic beverages per person per transaction. Patrons may return to their seats to consume their beverages. Any customer who appears to be 30 years old or younger must show valid photographic identification before each purchase. All patrons should be prepared to show an ID. No hard liquor will be sold or served at TCF Bank Stadium for intercollegiate athletic events.

Oh well, we had a good time anyway.

...beer...Manitoba Driver's License...not accept Canadian...

State of Minnesota Alcohol FAQ - Source

Proof of Age, Defense

Proof of age for purchasing or consuming alcoholic beverages may be established only by one of the following:
A valid drivers license issued by Minnesota, another state or Canada and including the photograph and date of birth of the person;
A valid identification card issued by Minnesota, another state or Canada and including the photograph and date of birth of the person;
A valid military I.D. issued by the U.S. Dept. of Defense;
A valid passport issued by the United States.
In the case of a foreign national, a valid passport.
In a prosecution for a sale to a person under 21, it is a defense to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the seller reasonably and in good faith relied upon representations of proof of age authorized above in selling or giving the alcohol.

Sounds to me some poorly informed concession manager read the MN rules about selling alcohol and tobacco to foreign nationals and skipped over the part about Canada identification being treated the same as US identification.

I was in a gas station the other day and the clerk there was telling a guy (looked like he was in his 50's) he must present a passport to buy tobacco, and his home-country ID was not good enough.

If you want to bring a bomb, why even try to get past security. Just blow it up when everyone comes out.

Get rid of the pat downs and security checks. Don't let the bastards control us.

sounds like you have given this some thought.

sounds like you have given this some thought.

Yes Sir. If you want to prevent crooks and terrorists.....think like them.

You want to prevent people from stealing from you(and cheating) - figure out the easiest way to steal(and cheat) from you. Some people will think you're weird, but you're just doing your job.

follow up--yesterday, I wrote an e-mail to fan relations (and the AD office just for fun). Got a phone call today from a very helpful person. Most positive interaction I have ever had with Gopher Athletics. The sippy cup has NEVER been a banned item, and education will take place to make sure all know that. We are working on a solution for the snacks. Was nice to get the call back.

follow up--yesterday, I wrote an e-mail to fan relations (and the AD office just for fun). Got a phone call today from a very helpful person. Most positive interaction I have ever had with Gopher Athletics. The sippy cup has NEVER been a banned item, and education will take place to make sure all know that. We are working on a solution for the snacks. Was nice to get the call back.

Now if they could only do something about the qualification of a flask as a sippy cup. wait!what?

Would it be legal for the "sippy cup" to be full of whiskey?

Bump. One year later and 46 year old Canadians are still not getting served. The people selling even tell people that a MB drivers license is ok for Vikings but not accepted by Gophers. I suspect that there were a hundred or so Canadians at the Kent State game given the Vikings were the next day.

Why make a rule that goes well above state law and alienates people?

PS No game thoughts other than that was huge crowd but the most boring football game I have ever been to and I have attended CFL pre-season games.

PPS Was impressed with the new Sally's. Good inside/ outside atmosphere.

Bump. One year later and 46 year old Canadians are still not getting served. The people selling even tell people that a MB drivers license is ok for Vikings but not accepted by Gophers. I suspect that there were a hundred or so Canadians at the Kent State game given the Vikings were the next day.

Why make a rule that goes well above state law and alienates people?

PS No game thoughts other than that was huge crowd but the most boring football game I have ever been to and I have attended CFL pre-season games.

PPS Was impressed with the new Sally's. Good inside/ outside atmosphere.

2015 Minnesota Statutes:

Subd. 6.Proof of age; defense; seizure of false identification. (a) Proof of age for purchasing or consuming alcoholic beverages may be established only by one of the following:
(1) a valid driver's license or identification card issued by Minnesota, another state, or a province of Canada, and including the photograph and date of birth of the licensed person;
(2) a valid military identification card issued by the United States Department of Defense;
(3) a valid passport issued by the United States;
(4) a valid instructional permit issued under section 171.05 to a person of legal age to purchase alcohol which includes a photograph and the date of birth of the person issued the permit; or
(5) in the case of a foreign national, by a valid passport.
(b) In a prosecution under subdivision 2, clause (1), it is a defense for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the defendant reasonably and in good faith relied upon representations of proof of age authorized in paragraph (a) in selling, bartering, furnishing, or giving the alcoholic beverage.
(c) A licensed retailer or municipal liquor store may seize a form of identification listed under paragraph (a) if the retailer or municipal liquor store has reasonable grounds to believe that the form of identification has been altered or falsified or is being used to violate any law. A retailer or municipal liquor store that seizes a form of identification as authorized under this paragraph must deliver it to a law enforcement agency, within 24 hours of seizing it.

Print this out for your next game.

2015 Minnesota Statutes:

Subd. 6.Proof of age; defense; seizure of false identification. (a) Proof of age for purchasing or consuming alcoholic beverages may be established only by one of the following:
(1) a valid driver's license or identification card issued by Minnesota, another state, or a province of Canada, and including the photograph and date of birth of the licensed person;
(2) a valid military identification card issued by the United States Department of Defense;
(3) a valid passport issued by the United States;
(4) a valid instructional permit issued under section 171.05 to a person of legal age to purchase alcohol which includes a photograph and the date of birth of the person issued the permit; or
(5) in the case of a foreign national, by a valid passport.
(b) In a prosecution under subdivision 2, clause (1), it is a defense for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the defendant reasonably and in good faith relied upon representations of proof of age authorized in paragraph (a) in selling, bartering, furnishing, or giving the alcoholic beverage.
(c) A licensed retailer or municipal liquor store may seize a form of identification listed under paragraph (a) if the retailer or municipal liquor store has reasonable grounds to believe that the form of identification has been altered or falsified or is being used to violate any law. A retailer or municipal liquor store that seizes a form of identification as authorized under this paragraph must deliver it to a law enforcement agency, within 24 hours of seizing it.

Print this out for your next game.

Thanks, I will probably send a message to the U. It is kind of crazy they are doing this. The people serving are terrified of getting in trouble. Even the supervisor said just get someone to buy for you.

Have usually never had a problem. I do take a look at the security guards and their lines and try to profile who seems like they aren't going to go deep into the search.

One thing my wife does is she puts in 4 or 5 Dasani caps in her purse, so we can screw one on the bottles of water after purchase. Perhaps a Plan B if Captain Super Sluth tosses future sippy cups in the garbage.

It is stupid that they try to eliminate anything that is clearly being brought in for a child. I guess only advice I would have is to scope out the security people and take a chance on someone that doesn't seem drunk on power.

Top Bottom