GAME #8: Gophers (5-2) v. Chaminade (who cares) [ESPNU, 1:30 PM]

Dare I say his players just don't care right now? Even the best coaches in the country can't motivate a team that is tired and just wants to go home.

Sorry, but it's the coach's job to make his players care. It's going to be a long, long year.

I'm honestly more disgusted with the players than Pitino at this point, particularly Austin, Andre, and EE.

Of course he is.... he almost beat Syracuse.

Key word here is "almost." Listen, I hope this team comes around as much as anyone. I'm just concerned that he's out of his element, at least right now.

I'm honestly more disgusted with the players than Pitino at this point, particularly Austin, Andre, and EE.

Yes agreed. But what would your attitude be when you have played 2 days straight and received two losses. And you're told that you are playing a d2 team. Would you be all fired up? -- I'll honestly say that I would not.

Sorry, but it's the coach's job to make his players care. It's going to be a long, long year.

If that's the case then we have the wrong players. Our player leadership is non-existent.

Yes agreed. But what would your attitude be when you have played 2 days straight and received two losses. And you're told that you are playing a d2 team. Would you be all fired up? -- I'll honestly say that I would not.

Piss poor excuse. Chaminade has played just as much, has zero fan support in the stadium, and is a DII program. I'd want to kick the **** out of them to get the Arkansas bad taste out of my mouth. Not to mention if I'm Austin, Dre, or EE, I want to play every game as well as I can so I can play at the next level.

That's like saying it is up to a teacher to make a student care about their studies. You can't make a player/student do something. It's ultimately up to the person themselves.

Our "leaders" look totally uninterested. Dre looks like a deer in headlights. Austin has mis handled more passes in this game that I can ever remember.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know I'm going to get 100 people jumping down my throat for this, but 95% of the time I spend watching Austin Hollins I'm wondering why people think he can play in the NBA.

what would your attitude be if you had to host a tournament and get creamed by some of the best D1 teams every year; you start this tournament with two straight losses (as usual), and then find out you have to play another D1 team (as usual) on day 3?

My point is, we don't have any more excuses than Chaminade has...

We're really bad. It's going to be a long year. Let's hope we see steady improvement along the way.

Let's also hope our PF recruit works out, or we'll be in big trouble next year.

I've given up watching, but this reminds me of the Northwestern game last year.

I feel like I've seen 3-4 carries by Chaminade that haven't been called.

Piss poor excuse. Chaminade has played just as much, has zero fan support in the stadium, and is a DII program. I'd want to kick the **** out of them to get the Arkansas bad taste out of my mouth. Not to mention if I'm Austin, Dre, or EE, I want to play every game as well as I can so I can play at the next level.

Good argument, but the difference of the losing gophers (BIG10 team) and Chaminade is that Chaminade is expected to lose all of these games. They are going out to prove something. Gophers are expected to win (Minus Cuse) and they are losing. Its disruptive from a player standpoint.

Obviously not a good excuse at all. But I believe it is what it is.. these kids need to grow up / man up.

I know I'm going to get 100 people jumping down my throat for this, but 95% of the time I spend watching Austin Hollins I'm wondering why people think he can play in the NBA.

He just isn't playing very well this year so far. In the past, even when his shooting was inconsistent, he's done the little things right: plays defense, takes care of the ball, and was just an overall smart player.

I anticipated his offensive game to be more consistent this year which would propel him to the next level in my opinion. Haven't seen it yet.

I don't care how weak our inside game is, there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be dominating inside against this team. We can't hit the side of a barn with our outside shots, yet we keep shooting them instead of trying to develop some kind of inside game.

Gophers shooting about 34% right now.

Andre Hollins started the Syracuse game 4-4 and has gone 5-26 since.

He just isn't playing very well this year so far. In the past, even when his shooting was inconsistent, he's done the little things right: plays defense, takes care of the ball, and was just an overall smart player.

I anticipated his offensive game to be more consistent this year which would propel him to the next level in my opinion. Haven't seen it yet.

Doesn't have near the ballhandling ability to develop offensively much past where he is now. Just the way it is. Solid enough college player, but not as good as many think and won't be drafted.

I've never thought that.

Top Bottom