GAME #7: Gophers (5-1) v. Arkansas (3-1) [ESPN2, 1:00PM]

This sucked. A very very winnable game against a not very good team. Just very disappointing. I'm not saying we should even win a lot in the big ten, but we shouldn't be embarrassed by Arkansas.

It isn't the loss itself that bothers me; rather it's the way we lost that is unacceptable imo. Couldn't have made it any easier for Arkansas unless we were trying to lose. Looked completely lost for all of the second half and apparently had no intention of making it tough on them (including the coaching). Complete fail by everyone involved.

Let's all take a deep breath, including myself.

It seems that Dre Holins has lost a little ever since he collided with Joe... wonder if he got dinged more than we know...

Disappointing loss and play all around from the Gophers today. Lot of things that need to be better like turnovers, rebounding, and they got to the rim way too easy. Gophers had chances to really open the game up in the first half and didn't make that happen and it really came back to hurt. A couple things I did like was the way Smith went to the rim hard a few times and trying to make sure teams can't just jump out him shooting 3's. Austin seemed like he tried to take control at times in the 2nd half and he really went hard to the rim, IMO that is when he is most effective. This loss really makes that Florida State game a critical game to win for the tourney resume. Hopefully the kid from Chaminade lights it up again and Gonzaga plays horrible so we can get Gonzaga tomorrow instead although I really don't expect that to happen.

Exactly. Arkansas is tearing our zone defense to shreds. Got to be willing to make adjustments.

They did it by passing the ball - a number of times they made 4 or 5 passes without the ball touching the floor for an easy shot. We qualified for the best dribbling team in Maui.

Disappointing loss and play all around from the Gophers today. Lot of things that need to be better like turnovers, rebounding, and they got to the rim way too easy. Gophers had chances to really open the game up in the first half and didn't make that happen and it really came back to hurt. A couple things I did like was the way Smith went to the rim hard a few times and trying to make sure teams can't just jump out him shooting 3's. Austin seemed like he tried to take control at times in the 2nd half and he really went hard to the rim, IMO that is when he is most effective. This loss really makes that Florida State game a critical game to win for the tourney resume. Hopefully the kid from Chaminade lights it up again and Gonzaga plays horrible so we can get Gonzaga tomorrow instead although I really don't expect that to happen.

A game vs a D2 team would be the best medicine for the Gophers right, now, not a matchup with Gonzaga.

[video]http://wavs.unclebubby.com/wav/MOVIES/Stripes/depression.wav[/video]

This is my one main complaint with Pitino so far, his stubborness in staying with the press no matter how effective it is. Is it your identity and how you want to play? Yes, and that's fine. Is it always going to be the best way to win a game? No. And he needs to realize that.

I look at this differently. We played badly today. I agree that we could have dropped the press. My theory is that Pitino is looking long term and he is trying to get the guys to get better at pressing which requires game application. In the past I think Tubby looked at the pre-season games as resume builders to get into the tournament with. However, the better teams look at the preseason games as a training ground where you take your lumps as part of the process of getting better at what you do. Then when conference time comes you win enough games to get to the NCAAs with or without the resume in the preseason. If he stubbornly holds onto the press in Big Ten games where it clearly is burning us like it did today - I'll get concerned. As for now we are installing a new system and I accept the lumps.

I look at this differently. We played badly today. I agree that we could have dropped the press. My theory is that Pitino is looking long term and he is trying to get the guys to get better at pressing which requires game application. In the past I think Tubby looked at the pre-season games as resume builders to get into the tournament with. However, the better teams look at the preseason games as a training ground where you take your lumps as part of the process of getting better at what you do. Then when conference time comes you win enough games to get to the NCAAs with or without the resume in the preseason. If he stubbornly holds onto the press in Big Ten games where it clearly is burning us like it did today - I'll get concerned. As for now we are installing a new system and I accept the lumps.

Sorry, that's complete BS. Why would he only play 7 players against Syracuse if he was trying to build up to the B1G? You flat out play to win or you should be embarrassed.

Sorry, that's complete BS. Why would he only play 7 players against Syracuse if he was trying to build up to the B1G? You flat out play to win or you should be embarrassed.

You make a good point. However, I'm not saying he isn't playing to win- clearly he is- but the bigger picture may be that he is not willing to depart from what he is training these guys to do at the moment in order that they get better at it in time to win in the Big Ten. You are 100% right - always play to win.

Top Bottom