GAME #27: Gophers (17-9, 6-7) v. Illinois (14-12, 3-10) [BTN, 2/19, 8:00PM]

Certainly. Most likely NCAA route now is probably Iowa, PSU and at least one BTT win.

yes, this loss has put the team in a position where they can't lose another home game. regardless of the Illinois game outcome winning at Ohio St or Michigan is highly unlikely.

Look...teams have bad games every so often but the really discouraging thing is we are so far away from the identity that Pitino wants to establish right now that it's more than just bad, dumb play

nope, the team was terrible, out of all the players, him and mcniel were the only ones to show up, you are only focusing on a few plays, if you watch the tape you'd see how much better he played compared to his teammates, find it funny how you and others want to blame him out of everyone, and not malik who couldn't make anything and didn't play D at all, gave up 2 3's which was probably the turning point. Or how about Elliot missing the 2 free throws and his attitude right after, you think beating himself helps him or the rest of team the rest of the way? nope, you just got move past it

you can tell 18-21 year olds not to look past a game over and over. They still will.

No offense but this is the type of excuse I just railed against in a sarcastic post. This team is about as old as it gets in CB. These aren't frosh walking on campus in early November. This team is almost exclusively upperclassman in late Feb

Just because he says all the right things doesn't mean he has it all figured out yet. This is the 1st game this year I can clearly say Tubby's team would have won that Richie's team didn't.

Yeah cause Tubby's teams never lost games they should win in Feb...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I doubt I'll be able to do it, but I would really like to avoid this site for 3 days as this place is gonna be a dumpster fire. Terrible game no doubt, but not worth some of the idiocy and overreaction that will no doubt be spewed from some of you.

Enjoy the process fellas, this was a flawed team from day one. Illinois is flawed too, but they decided to play d all game and we decided not to... Next game.

+ a couple. Still better than our preseason predictions. I wish I wasn't impatiently awaiting news on the recruits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is. His confidence is completely gone. Not sure why. He should be our second best scorer. I was kind of expecting a Quincy Lewis senior year out of him, putting up big numbers because he would finally be a top option. Austin should have a lot more of an offensive repertoire as a senior. But he doesn't force anything, he doesn't create anything. I just don't understand. I think his confidence is shot. Gophers need him in the worst way to play the way he is capable of.

Can't agree with this anymore. I am smiling at the fact that in two years the only guys left from this team will be King and McNeil (ironically the two guys with a pulse tonight). Tubby did bring some ok talent in here but my god he didn't bring in any competitors.

I think he did bring in some competitors, but their names were Iverson, Cobbs, Joseph and so on.

Beat Iowa, Penn state, and one BTT game and we'll make it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Nope, McNeil and Austin were only 2 players to show up today

What did McNeil do that everyone seems impressed with? He played mediocre defense and did nothing offensively. Maybe no boneheaded turnovers - which I guess is something.

Honestly, this has to be up there as one of the worst Gopher home performances I have ever seen. Just wretched in all aspects...

Best player tonight; second best this season.

I don't agree with you often, but in this case, I 100% do, I don't understand all the bashing he gets at all, all everyone cares about is scoring guess

Austin was one of the only players to actually play decent tonight. Many people don't notice what he does defensively but just the last 2 games he has held the opponents top scorer to way under his average. He was also one of the only ones who really looked engaged throughout the game and picked guys up when they made bad plays while guys like EE and Mathieu pouted when something went wrong. Tonight was just an all around bad team loss in a game that we needed.

this team was picked near the bottom of the conference for a reason. they are what they are and that is just an ok B1G team. unless something highly unlikely happens over the next 4 games they will get what they deserve and that is a NIT bid.

He's definitely got the yips with untimely turnovers, but he is one of our best players, and the only one who played hard the first 35 minutes.

Getting pretty sick of seeing a career game against us week in and week out. This week we got two. Not to mention Illinois is horrible from 3 and they shoot the lights out tonight.

Egwu played out of his damn mind. I miss the days of Mbakwe beating the crap out of this stiff...

All they did was jack 3 ' s all night. If Pitino had a game plan, I didn't see it. I saw inexperience on Richards face tonight. Dutcher, Clem, Muze, and even Tubby would've won this game tonight. They were not ready . Tough road now. I see the NIT with a possible win against Penn State getting them too 7-11, which I put down before the season started. If it wasn't for little Dre they would have 3 wins.

Lots of focus on the offense... and there I think the keys are: 1) why settle for so many 3FGA's?... and 2) the dumb turnovers are inexcusable...

But once again - brutal defense. Illinois' most efficient offensive performance in conference play. They made shots and got to the line... team had been having terrible offensive outings... rolled the Gophers tonight.

...and when Dre Mathieu has a bad game the team loses. Happened again tonight.

We're young. Young teams have games like this one. We only have 8 upperclassmen in our rotation and we do play a single freshman.

we're not young, we only have 3 players who are not upper classman

What did McNeil do that everyone seems impressed with? He played mediocre defense and did nothing offensively. Maybe no boneheaded turnovers - which I guess is something.

Honestly, this has to be up there as one of the worst Gopher home performances I have ever seen. Just wretched in all aspects...

mediocre defense? watch the game again buddy, there was a reason why he got so many minutes today

Just because he says all the right things doesn't mean he has it all figured out yet. This is the 1st game this year I can clearly say Tubby's team would have won that Richie's team didn't.

This is exactly the kind of game a Tubby team would have lost. Several years of proof.

No offense but this is the type of excuse I just railed against in a sarcastic post. This team is about as old as it gets in CB. These aren't frosh walking on campus in early November. This team is almost exclusively upperclassman in late Feb

My post had nothing to do with the team's age or experience. It was about players of college age. Don't take your frustration out on me. I have enough of my own. sheesh.

please stop with tubby vs pitino crap, we are gopher fans, just worry about the current team

Guys please. Yes, Austin Hollins has been one of the better players on the team this year - but can any one of you honestly say you weren't expecting more from him this season? I was expecting him to step up as a senior big time this year and it just hasn't happened. He is producing more like a decent role player and not the 1,000 point scorer that we need to carry this team when we are struggling.

And Andre Hollins; the ankle injury has destroyed him. He looks like 70% out there compared to early in the season.

What a bad game...

With the way the Gophers offense looked tonight , every time the TV camera went to the bench I expected Tubby to be sitting there on his stool.

Guys please. Yes, Austin Hollins has been one of the better players on the team this year - but can any one of you honestly say you weren't expecting more from him this season? I was expecting him to step up as a senior big time this year and it just hasn't happened. He is producing more like a decent role player and not the 1,000 point scorer that we need to carry this team when we are struggling.

And Andre Hollins; the ankle injury has destroyed him. He looks like 70% out there compared to early in the season.

What a bad game...

Considering how pitino always mentions how much he loves austin and how valuble and good he is for this team, I'm going to say he having a better season than most are giving him credit for, even pitino mentions that fans don't understand how good he is and he does stuff that you don't see on the boxscore

I'll still defend Austin as he is one of two guys who tries hard on defense, but those two turnovers were just beyond bad. Total mental lapse that just can't happen to a senior. If we had anyone off the bench to take his starting spot for one game I'd do it.

What I don't understand is, why did they keep shooting 3's? They had so much success inside early on then they decided become jumpshot only team. Find it hard to believe that pitino didn't flat out say, stop shooting stupid forced shots, attack the basket and go inside. Did the team just not listen? like wtf happened

Top Bottom