GAME #20: Gophers (14-5, 3-3) v. #8/9 Wisconsin (16-2, 3-2) [BTN, 1/22, 8:00PM]

My first impression as tonight was my first game of the season.

1. LOVED the style of play. Soooo much more fun than last year.
2. Got seated and turned to my buddy and asked who that tall skinny guy was on the shoot around. Mo Walker! Hats off to Mo. I heard he lost weight, but he looked fantastic. He was in command the entire game. Very complete game for Mo.
3. Matheiu (sp?) has fantastic focus on D and shows enormous confidence and ability to drive the lane. Wisconsin had nothing to answer his heroics.
4. The student
section raised the Barn! It was deafening.
5. The barn looked fantastic!
6. Everybody knew their role and played with passion. The team was having fun, which was missing under the Smith regime.
7. The young players played solid.
8. Only a short stretch where fatigue showed on a player and at the first opportunity King Richard took him out for a solid rest.

That was about as much fun as I have ever had at the Barn.

This was a game I had to catch late on the DVR and I am glad I was able to avoid seeing the score! What a performance by the Gophers! I don't think too many teams have a guy like Andre Hollins go down on the first play and don't miss a beat. I thought it was strange that neither the play by play guy or the color guy mentioned anything about Andre not being given room to land on that shot. I don't think it was intentional, but that's a foul. I can't believe that this is the same Mo Walker of three weeks ago, much less that same Mo Walker that basically embarrassed himself with his play/conditioning last season. Mo couldn't make it up and down the court, couldn't get in a stance, and everybody could score on him last year. His explosion appears to be improving weekly now as evidenced by a dunk tonight that he certainly wouldn't have been able to execute a month ago. Those 12 (?) straight points from Mo in the first half were huge and made a loud crowd get that much louder.

Not many people will probably remember, but Oto was excellent in the first half. He had the 3 point play, the follow tip in, and numerous other hustle/effort plays in the first 20 minutes. Oto was one of the tone setter tonight.

Malik Smith did an excellent job handling the ball when he was pressed in to that role more often with Dre Hollins out. Malik made a couple nice drives to the basket and plays with a confidence that you hope can continue to infect the rest of this team. I bet Malik legitimately believes he can do anything on the basketball court which can be a negative, but it's certainly a positive with him on this team. As someone else mentioned, this was the most solid I've seen Maverick with the ball in a B1G game against a decent opponent. I can't remember a "Mav moment" where he was overwhelmed and turned it over from this game.

Star of the night has to be DeAndre Mathieu. I don't want to go as far as saying that was some Bobby Jackson level stuff...but I wouldn't blame you if you did! The Gophers scored on something like 20 of 26 possessions in the second half and every time I felt like the Badgers were uncomfortably close, Mathieu got in the lane and hit another floater or mid range J. The kid is fearless and I'd imagine the "U" would make a killing if they could print up some Minnesota #4 jerseys (replica or official). Most consistently exciting player to watch in a long time.

Really, really happy for Austin Hollins. The kid has been struggling, but came up with some very important baskets in the second half and the unquestioned highlight of the night with the rock back one hander and 1. If you got the game on DVR, check out the reactions from the crowd behind the Gophers bench. The guy in the Dallas Mavericks sweatshirt has a good one as do several others.

The Barn sounded amazing tonight and I'd be interested to hear if anyone thinks the Barn still wasn't "the Barn" tonight. That seemed like a level 10 atmosphere on TV. Kudos to the students and everyone else who made noise tonight.

I can't state enough how impressed I am with Coach Pitino. The intangibles are all there: he has his kids playing hard every game, they seem to like playing for him, and he has them believing they are a good team. The on court stuff has been tremendous, he's not afraid to wear out certain sets or plays (lots of high ball screens for Mathieu in the 2nd half) and he's shown good scouting/awareness to attack the oppositions weak spots. Who would have thought we'd have two quality wins this year largely due to effective post offense? It's one thing to know where to attack, but it's another to find a way to attack AND get your team to execute that attack. I also thought that in this game, the decision to work the clock a bit in the half court from about ~8 min through the end of the game was a wise one. The Gophers could get a good shot off of the high pick action at any time, so why not take some time off the clock with the lead? There was a great balance between playing fast at times and also slowing it down when the situation called for it.

I thought the officiating was CRAP in this game. My biggest issue tonight was the number of times Badgers (especially Jim Jackson's son) used their off hand while dribbling to create space against a Gopher defender. I wouldn't have minded that, except that the officials constantly called the Gopher defenders for touch fouls on Jackson and others on the perimeter. In a game where Minnesota was the team that was getting the ball in the paint, it's curious to me how the Badgers managed so few fouls in relation to the Gophers. It ended up not affecting the outcome of the game, but it would have been a real shame if the Gophers lost a close one tonight because the Badgers seemingly lived on the line in the 2nd half.

Really impressed with Sam Dekker. That kid reminds me some of Sam Jacobson. Very skilled and has the versatility to score inside and outside. Oto and Joey were really working hard against him, but that kid was on another level.

Great that Jarvis was in the building for the game tonight, I hope either him or Alex decides soon that they want to be the first Minnesota high school kid to commit to Coach Pitino.

Nebraska is going to be a tough game as they're 1-1 at home in conference play with a close loss to Michigan and a convincing win over tOSU. Pitino and his staff are going to have their work cut out form them getting the team up for a game in Lincoln after this big win. Hopefully lessons learned in Iowa City will be remembered

One of the more amazing stats is that the Gophers only took 7 3-pointers. They got to the basket whenever they wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Due to fouls and injury, Gophers had to rely on extra minutes from several players. To my recollection, every one of them stepped up. The game didn't seem too big for any one of them. I don't know if that's coaching or team chemistry or what, but it was great to see.

The impressive thing to me was that the Badgers were never allowed to make anything even approaching a run in the second half. Once the lead got to 9 or 10 , the Gophers seemed to respond every single time they scored. And the big difference between this and Tubby's teams is that we used to run clock and then throw up a desperation shot , where now we run clock but then attack the basket and get a good shot. That last possession when Malik passed up the three twice and then drained it with a second left on the shot clock was a thing of beauty.

Soooo .. I think watching the last few years have made me a bit gun shy. Someone tell me what is going to prevent this team from collapsing down the stretch.

This was a game I had to catch late on the DVR and I am glad I was able to avoid seeing the score! What a performance by the Gophers! I don't think too many teams have a guy like Andre Hollins go down on the first play and don't miss a beat. I thought it was strange that neither the play by play guy or the color guy mentioned anything about Andre not being given room to land on that shot. I don't think it was intentional, but that's a foul. I can't believe that this is the same Mo Walker of three weeks ago, much less that same Mo Walker that basically embarrassed himself with his play/conditioning last season. Mo couldn't make it up and down the court, couldn't get in a stance, and everybody could score on him last year. His explosion appears to be improving weekly now as evidenced by a dunk tonight that he certainly wouldn't have been able to execute a month ago. Those 12 (?) straight points from Mo in the first half were huge and made a loud crowd get that much louder.

Not many people will probably remember, but Oto was excellent in the first half. He had the 3 point play, the follow tip in, and numerous other hustle/effort plays in the first 20 minutes. Oto was one of the tone setter tonight.

Malik Smith did an excellent job handling the ball when he was pressed in to that role more often with Dre Hollins out. Malik made a couple nice drives to the basket and plays with a confidence that you hope can continue to infect the rest of this team. I bet Malik legitimately believes he can do anything on the basketball court which can be a negative, but it's certainly a positive with him on this team. As someone else mentioned, this was the most solid I've seen Maverick with the ball in a B1G game against a decent opponent. I can't remember a "Mav moment" where he was overwhelmed and turned it over from this game.

Star of the night has to be DeAndre Mathieu. I don't want to go as far as saying that was some Bobby Jackson level stuff...but I wouldn't blame you if you did! The Gophers scored on something like 20 of 26 possessions in the second half and every time I felt like the Badgers were uncomfortably close, Mathieu got in the lane and hit another floater or mid range J. The kid is fearless and I'd imagine the "U" would make a killing if they could print up some Minnesota #4 jerseys (replica or official). Most consistently exciting player to watch in a long time.

Really, really happy for Austin Hollins. The kid has been struggling, but came up with some very important baskets in the second half and the unquestioned highlight of the night with the rock back one hander and 1. If you got the game on DVR, check out the reactions from the crowd behind the Gophers bench. The guy in the Dallas Mavericks sweatshirt has a good one as do several others.

The Barn sounded amazing tonight and I'd be interested to hear if anyone thinks the Barn still wasn't "the Barn" tonight. That seemed like a level 10 atmosphere on TV. Kudos to the students and everyone else who made noise tonight.

I can't state enough how impressed I am with Coach Pitino. The intangibles are all there: he has his kids playing hard every game, they seem to like playing for him, and he has them believing they are a good team. The on court stuff has been tremendous, he's not afraid to wear out certain sets or plays (lots of high ball screens for Mathieu in the 2nd half) and he's shown good scouting/awareness to attack the oppositions weak spots. Who would have thought we'd have two quality wins this year largely due to effective post offense? It's one thing to know where to attack, but it's another to find a way to attack AND get your team to execute that attack. I also thought that in this game, the decision to work the clock a bit in the half court from about ~8 min through the end of the game was a wise one. The Gophers could get a good shot off of the high pick action at any time, so why not take some time off the clock with the lead? There was a great balance between playing fast at times and also slowing it down when the situation called for it.

I thought the officiating was CRAP in this game. My biggest issue tonight was the number of times Badgers (especially Jim Jackson's son) used their off hand while dribbling to create space against a Gopher defender. I wouldn't have minded that, except that the officials constantly called the Gopher defenders for touch fouls on Jackson and others on the perimeter. In a game where Minnesota was the team that was getting the ball in the paint, it's curious to me how the Badgers managed so few fouls in relation to the Gophers. It ended up not affecting the outcome of the game, but it would have been a real shame if the Gophers lost a close one tonight because the Badgers seemingly lived on the line in the 2nd half.

Really impressed with Sam Dekker. That kid reminds me some of Sam Jacobson. Very skilled and has the versatility to score inside and outside. Oto and Joey were really working hard against him, but that kid was on another level.

Great that Jarvis was in the building for the game tonight, I hope either him or Alex decides soon that they want to be the first Minnesota high school kid to commit to Coach Pitino.

Nebraska is going to be a tough game as they're 1-1 at home in conference play with a close loss to Michigan and a convincing win over tOSU. Pitino and his staff are going to have their work cut out form them getting the team up for a game in Lincoln after this big win. Hopefully lessons learned in Iowa City will be remembered

Excellent recap EG.

As far as the bold, I've heard many of the media/former players mention that under Tubby they very seldom spent time working on how to attack or defend specific teams. They just worked their own style. I believe Spencer was one of them who mentioned it.

The scouting report on Wis was to attack them inside and they had become vulnerable to the dribble drive. I've never seen Malik take it to basket like he did last night.

The impressive thing to me was that the Badgers were never allowed to make anything even approaching a run in the second half. Once the lead got to 9 or 10 , the Gophers seemed to respond every single time they scored. And the big difference between this and Tubby's teams is that we used to run clock and then throw up a desperation shot , where now we run clock but then attack the basket and get a good shot. That last possession when Malik passed up the three twice and then drained it with a second left on the shot clock was a thing of beauty.

When you score on 20 of your 26 possessions in the 2nd half, it is hard for a team to make a run at you.

This game was so much fun to be at. The dominating win just makes it that much better. 4-3 after 7 games. Can't say I saw this coming.

I would go so far as to say that the key to the game was Mo's ability to move his feet on defense with Elliott in borderline foul trouble. As recently as late in the non conference, I was really down on Mo's inability to move his feet. He's improved a great deal just in the last month.

Agree totally on the officiating. Did anyone notice how, once the Badgers got into the bonus, suddenly they were calling a bunch of touch fouls? That's a 20-point win if it's called objectively.

Favorite stat: Wisconsin 5-20 on 3's and most of them contested. Gophers just 4-7 from 3. This shows me many things.
1. We concentrated on Wisconsin's strength, didn't double down and give up 3's.
2. We attacked an opponents weakness, lack of inside muscle and guard quickness to attack the rim.
3. Even though our coach love the 3, he adjusted his plan according to what was working.
4. Austin, didn't take a 3 as he has proven he is a poor shooter and only streaky rarely so he took it to the rim. He is so athletic he could do this more if he got the ball closer to the basket.
**Go Gophers!!

Favorite stat: Wisconsin 5-20 on 3's and most of them contested. Gophers just 4-7 from 3. This shows me many things.
2. We attacked an opponents weakness, lack of inside muscle and guard quickness to attack the rim.
3. Even though our coach love the 3, he adjusted his plan according to what was working.
4. Austin, didn't take a 3 as he has proven he is a poor shooter and only streaky rarely so he took it to the rim. He is so athletic he could do this more if he got the ball closer to the basket.
**Go Gophers!!

Yes he did.

**Go Gophers!!

Austin took a number of ill-advised jumpers early in the shot clock in the first half. But to his credit, he adapted and began attacking the rim the second half. He was night/day from the first to the second half. What a game he ended up having!

One of the more amazing stats is that the Gophers only took 7 3-pointers. They got to the basket whenever they wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree - I love this stat. I assumed going into this year that we would rely heavily on the 3, and that we would grab an upset or two but it would be because of insane outside shooting. This was just a good old-fashioned butt whooping of a top 10 team

I thought it was strange that neither the play by play guy or the color guy mentioned anything about Andre not being given room to land on that shot. I don't think it was intentional, but that's a foul.

^This.

In fact, the color guy made some nonsensical observation about the play, something to the effect of, oh well, that just happens in basketball, it gets crowded.

Wisconsin gets more than their share of calls even on the road. We took the ball to the hole all night (they shot way more jumpers and 3's than we did), we are quicker than them at nearly every position on the floor, and yet they shot about twice as many free throws. The only thing that kept all of us from blowing our top about this is that when your team shoots 60% from the floor and 100% from the foul line, with 1 turnover the entire second half, then a bunch of botched calls don't make any difference.

When you score on 20 of your 26 possessions in the 2nd half, it is hard for a team to make a run at you.

And that's counting, I assume, the last "possession" of the game when Mathieu simply held the ball as the clock ran out. So really, 20 out of 25, or 80% of our possessions we scored (and scored not just one but at least 2 points, as we made all our free throws). That is an incredible offensive performance.

And that's counting, I assume, the last "possession" of the game when Mathieu simply held the ball as the clock ran out. So really, 20 out of 25, or 80% of our possessions we scored (and scored not just one but at least 2 points, as we made all our free throws). That is an incredible offensive performance.

Just a note - to my knowledge 20/26 does not count the final dribble out.

Top Bottom