GAME #20: Gophers (14-5, 3-3) v. #8/9 Wisconsin (16-2, 3-2) [BTN, 1/22, 8:00PM]

If we had Mathieu on any of our previous six teams we go to the second weekend of the tournament.

Not sure, he'd have had to sit 20 minutes a game for the second teamers to get their half of play.

Plus the angry, confrontational troll who parrots the can't fire a disengaged coach who had his "best year" in an overall mediocre track record tedious homily.....

We won, he won't show up tonight.

I hope everyone remembers something... BUCK THE FADGERS!!!

Tubby is a great person but this team is coached at a different level than what we we were accustomed to. I see great things with Coach Pitino!!!

I'll take Pitino in the white uniforms over Tubby and the gold uniforms.

Just got back from the game. We had tickets way up in the boonies among quite a few Badger fans. With about 3 minutes to go, the Becky fan next to me turns to his buddy and complains: "The Gophers sure won't get so many calls anywhere else but here". I just about tore into him. At that point, the Gophers had almost double the amount of fouls called against them. I'm pretty sure the guy must have been Bo's long-lost uglier step-child.

Also, in lieu of watching Austin's dunk on replay a half dozen times, I opted to watch the reaction of all the Becky fans around me while it was replaying. So much more rewarding.

Mav was involved in a lot of those highlights, if he isn't the unsung hero then he is the unsung contributor. We got some solid minutes from him tonight. Great to see.

Welp, that was the best game I've been to at the Barn. What a win

I wasn't following along with the game thread, so sorry if it was brought up when it happened, but did anyone else catch the BTN guy say "there's not a bad seat in the house"? I had to LOL

Great team win! So nice to not have to rely on Dre to carry us to wins!

Great game. Just got home from the bar I watched it at, so I'll throw my thoughts out:
1. Sometimes you see an unranked team beat a top 10 team, and you feel they got lucky with the calls or the bounces and wonder how they pulled it out. Tonight, we just plain beat Wisconsin. We looked like a better team all night long and had our way with them.

2. Speaking of getting lucky with the calls or bounces, felt like we were playing against both the refs and the injury gods as we got the short end of the stick with a lot of touch fouls called on us that weren't called on Wisconsin and Big Dre going down on literally the first shot of the game. Lesser teams lose this game, and then complain about refs and bad luck with injuries. Winners win in spite of the refs and the injury. Great effort, focus, and resilience.

3. All that said, there is more work to be done. All we have done so far is clinch at least a 4-14 conference record. We have seen this team have some ugly February collapses, and February is just around the corner. Also, as I said on another thread, the problem with the previous regime was not an inability to get big wins, it was an odd propensity for following up big wins with stretches where we lost to much weaker competition, especially on the road, and against Northwestern. After a tough stretch, we have some easier games coming up. Let's see if we can keep the foot on the gas against the softer part of our schedule and through February. I think we will.

4. Glad to see delusional Badger fans get shown that neither their football nor basketball teams are top-10 material. Take a seat chumps.

Just got back from the game. We had tickets way up in the boonies among quite a few Badger fans. With about 3 minutes to go, the Becky fan next to me turns to his buddy and complains: "The Gophers sure won't get so many calls anywhere else but here". I just about tore into him. At that point, the Gophers had almost double the amount of fouls called against them. I'm pretty sure the guy must have been Bo's long-lost uglier step-child.

Also, in lieu of watching Austin's dunk on replay a half dozen times, I opted to watch the reaction of all the Becky fans around me while it was replaying. So much more rewarding.

Haha, thanks for the chuckle Stoa. Can't believe you found someone uglier than Bo. Hope you covered the fiance's eyes so she didn't have to see it.

Just got back from the game. We had tickets way up in the boonies among quite a few Badger fans. With about 3 minutes to go, the Becky fan next to me turns to his buddy and complains: "The Gophers sure won't get so many calls anywhere else but here". I just about tore into him. At that point, the Gophers had almost double the amount of fouls called against them. I'm pretty sure the guy must have been Bo's long-lost uglier step-child. Also, in lieu of watching Austin's dunk on replay a half dozen times, I opted to watch the reaction of all the Becky fans around me while it was replaying. So much more rewarding.

+1, to all of this! I love Badger tears.

interesting stat

Wisconsin started 16-0, since 0-3

OSU started out 15-0, since 0-4

Iowa State started out 14-0, since 0-3

Oregon started out 13-0, since 0-3

834908040.gif

interesting stat

Wisconsin started 16-0, since 0-3

OSU started out 15-0, since 0-4

Iowa State started out 14-0, since 0-3

Oregon State started out 13-0, since 0-3

CIFY - yes, extremely interesting indeed.

Loved watching Mathieu drive the lane against a near 7-footer and use his body to create shots; giving up 14 inches in height and still fearless around the basket. Dude is a player. Great to see some other guys like Walker and Smith provide some quality offense as well. Hopefully Austin Hollins keeps the swagger from the second half going forward into the next few games and continues to play with confidence.

This is what happens when you have a real coach.

With Tubby?

Note to all of the Tubby apologists on the board: Su*k it!!!!!

Real mature. I think Tubby was a decent coach, he got us three tournament appearances in six years, which had never been done before, won us our first tournament game in over two decades, and he left the program better than he found it. Not hating Tubby does not mean that I want to see Pitino fail or think he will. You can like one without hating the other.

I am happy for the win tonight. I was at the game cheering my lungs out because I am a Gopher fan, meaning I always cheer for the Gophers and I don't let a vendetta against the coach prevent me from doing so.
Plus the angry, confrontational troll who parrots the can't fire a disengaged coach who had his "best year" in an overall mediocre track record tedious homily.....

I'll take Pitino in the white uniforms over Tubby and the gold uniforms.

As a lover of the gold and hater of the white I will concede this point happily.

Seriously you guys can't even enjoy the win without taking a shot at Tubby? The football board seems to be getting to a point where they don't laugh at Brewster and dance on his grave every time he is brought up and I look forward to when the basketball board reaches that point with Tubby. Hopefully sooner than the football board did considering Tubby was MUCH better with the basketball team than Brewster was with the football team.

It was either Stephen Bardo or Tim Doyle who said teams are starting to figure out that the key to beating Wisconsin is through dribble drives in the half-court set. There's nobody on Wisconsin quick enough to stop Mathieu from doing that. The Hollinses should be able to attack that too.

This summed it up. Mathieu dominated them with speed,

The football board seems to be getting to a point where they don't laugh at Brewster and dance on his grave every time he is brought up and I look forward to when the basketball board reaches that point with Tubby. Hopefully sooner than the football board did considering Tubby was MUCH better with the basketball team than Brewster was with the football team.

I think the difference is there are a select few who are/were really against the Tubby firing and have been really outspoken about it. Because of that, when good things happen that make it look like it was a good move, certain people want to rub it in their faces. If people were really outspoken about thinking Brewster was wrongfully fired, you would be experiencing the same stuff everytime Kill and the team do something good. It'll likely pass once people like Dpo give it up and embrace Pitino.

I think the difference is there are a select few who are/were really against the Tubby firing and have been really outspoken about it. Because of that, when good things happen that make it look like it was a good move, certain people want to rub it in their faces. If people were really outspoken about thinking Brewster was wrongfully fired, you would be experiencing the same stuff everytime Kill and the team do something good. It'll likely pass once people like Dpo give it up and embrace Pitino.

Plus on the football board Mason still way more of a lightning rod than Brew

Real mature. I think Tubby was a decent coach, he got us three tournament appearances in six years, which had never been done before, won us our first tournament game in over two decades, and he left the program better than he found it. Not hating Tubby does not mean that I want to see Pitino fail or think he will. You can like one without hating the other.

I am happy for the win tonight. I was at the game cheering my lungs out because I am a Gopher fan, meaning I always cheer for the Gophers and I don't let a vendetta against the coach prevent me from doing so.

Seriously you guys can't even enjoy the win without taking a shot at Tubby? The football board seems to be getting to a point where they don't laugh at Brewster and dance on his grave every time he is brought up and I look forward to when the basketball board reaches that point with Tubby. Hopefully sooner than the football board did considering Tubby was MUCH better with the basketball team than Brewster was with the football team.

And I think Tubby was an absolutely horrible coach. If you want to think he was decent go ahead.

Tubby sat on his butt, complained about everything including players. He thought he was doing us a favor by being here. At least Brewster gave it his best.

I look forward to the days when we can focus on a great win like this without being distracted by irrational hatred for people who are no longer associated with the program.

Hey, did you hear? The Gophers just took care of Wisconsin!

Ski-U-Mah!

Top Bottom