GAME #20: Gophers (14-5, 3-3) v. #8/9 Wisconsin (16-2, 3-2) [BTN, 1/22, 8:00PM]

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is just ... wow. Minnesota, Richard Pitino. Wow.</p>— Myron Medcalf (@MedcalfByESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/MedcalfByESPN/statuses/426202401087827968">January 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DAMN does that feel good! It's like great sex...now I'm going to roll over and go to sleep.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>What a game! Mn vs Wis.</p>— Alex Illikainen (@AIllikainen_25) <a href="https://twitter.com/AIllikainen_25/statuses/426203227038568449">January 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

Looks like Big Dre is at least walking on that foot.

We have at least 4 or 5 guys that can step up and make a huge impact on a game. I really think this team is capable of doing some damage in the postseason.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is just ... wow. Minnesota, Richard Pitino. Wow.</p>— Myron Medcalf (@MedcalfByESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/MedcalfByESPN/statuses/426202401087827968">January 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

The best thing you've ever written, Myron. No 'and he's doing it without a practice facility' or anything.

From the field: 33-56-58.9%
From 3: 4-7-57.1%
From the line: 11-11-100%
Rebounds: 32 vs. 22
Assists: 16 vs. 8

Hell of a team effort.

If we had Mathieu on any of our previous six teams we go to the second weekend of the tournament.

Wow, what a super effort and great offensive game from the Gophers! Losing Dre early hurt and could have put them down but so many guys stepped up and hustled, most of all the guy I tend to criticize most on the team Mo - great job in all facets of the game from the big guy, especially on an off night from EE. De'Andre Mathieu was just outstanding. Someone posted during the game about he being the best PG in the B1G - I think Appling is still better overall BUT, Mathieu is so much fun to watch (note, not sure why he got called for those 3 fouls, weird). Oto has been gaining so much confidence lately and even though Dekker was eating him up on D, he still hustled, and came back and hit shots on the other end. Great to see Dre back on the bench to end the game and to see him smile so brightly. Austin Hollins was huge in the second half, great to see him step up (though I think he traveled on his monster dunk).

Other thoughts - Wisconsin really has a nice offense. Dekker is a star. Hayes has some great moves. Defensively, they don't really have an inside presence and are slow on their feet at G positions, which even with the body-up D they play lends itself to a lot of holes. Good. Strange move by Bo Ryan to end that game - Gophers were in single bonus and they didn't try to foul, even when Mo had the ball. It was like they gave up. One thing about Bo Ryan, you can hate him (and I do!) but you can see how good of a coach he is in the way he is always coaching his players bench or court. Pitino does a lot of that too, and I love to see it.

Richard Pitino could do great things at the U. It's a small sample size for my 4 decades of fandome, but he's the best coach I've seen on the Gophers' sideline, and his charisma and professionalism exudes. Wonder if any of the recruits he didn't get are regretting their decisions.

Note to Teague......it's not to early to lock up Pitino. Do it.

Wonderful team win....Mo and Elliot are far beyond what I expected and certainly glad to admit I was wrong. Matthieu and Malik were special. Go Gophers!!!

Mo is still improving before our eyes. If he keeps working hard through next summer could he possibly play some 4 next year?

Note to all of the Tubby apologists on the board: Su*k it!!!!!

Preview of Sid's column....

"I knew from the beginning this young coach was special......"

Stay tuned.....

Pouring a little bit out for Parski tonight...

Plus the angry, confrontational troll who parrots the can't fire a disengaged coach who had his "best year" in an overall mediocre track record tedious homily.....

Top Bottom