Fruechte Catches On

oleboy41

Reaction score
Gophers could end up with 5-6 guys on opening day rosters

On the heels of this weekend’s rookie minicamp, the Vikings have announced that the club has signed former Gophers’ WR Isaac Fruechte. The Vikings have waived WR Kain Colter and OL Jesse Somsel.

Fruechte (pronounced FRICK-tee) played three seasons for Minnesota after transferring from Rochester Community and Technical College. The Caledonia, Minn., native played in 38 games as a Gopher, including 18 starts. As a senior, Fruechte posted 292 receiving yards and a TD on 18 receptions en route to being honored as the team’s Wide Receiver of the Year. His best collegiate game came at Illinois where he tied a career-high with three catches and established a career-high 105 yards receiving. Fruechte, a member of the 2007 and 2008 Class AA State Championship teams at Caledonia HS, joins CB Marcus Sherels, WR Adam Thielen and T Carter Bykowski as Minnesota natives on the Vikings roster.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Sign-Ex-Gopher-WR-Isaac-Fruechte/5c6d96bd-7682-4cb8-ba93-bc92fb374824?adbid=10153266758057836&adbpl=fb&adbpr=64444137835&campaign=social_20150511_45586906&short_code=2yw9h

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Vikings?src=hash">#Vikings</a> have signed former <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherFootball">@GopherFootball</a> player Isaac Fruechte.

<a href="http://t.co/C9yL3k65E7">http://t.co/C9yL3k65E7</a> <a href="http://t.co/5aFnaD7mBb">pic.twitter.com/5aFnaD7mBb</a></p>— Minnesota Vikings (@Vikings) <a href="https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/597831658121744385">May 11, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm guessing they view him as a potential Thielenn. Local guy who will bust his ass if you let him sniff the field and can add a body to ST/practice squad. every team needs guys like that

Awesome to see. It wasn't until last season that one of our QB's placed the ball where he could get his hands on it.

Good to see! I'm guessing the practice squad would be his best chance of sticking though.

Dude always had good size/speed combo. wasn't the most agile guy and, like everyone else, didn't get open consistently but there definitely seemed to be about 1 time each game where he was running open downfield with at least a step on a DB

Cool to see Fruechte getting a chance.

Curious who the other players are that OP said might catch on. Obviously the three drafted players, and now Fruechte, that is 4. OP said 5-6, who are the other 1-2 players I am missing?

Curious who the other players are that OP said might catch on. Obviously the three drafted players, and now Fruechte, that is 4. OP said 5-6, who are the other 1-2 players I am missing?

Derrick Wells is actually expected to sign with the Bucs according to this article.

http://www.news-press.com/story/spo.../lehighs-wells-gets-degree-job-week/27127499/

"When I was in the locker room, they told me to take a quick shower and get my stuff and they were going to take me upstairs," Wells said. "The GM (Jason Licht) came in and congratulated us. I'm supposed to sign this week."

Fruechte was on with Sid on Sunday - he claimed he ran a 4.37 and a 4.41 40 in his pro day. That's legitimate NFL speed. If he can polish his route-running, and show some moxie on special teams, I could see him sticking - or at the least getting on the practice roster.

Thats cool to see Wells is likely signing. When he was playing safety, he was a huge playmaker. The switch to corner took some of that away from him.

Are the Bucs looking at him at corner, or safety?

Good on him for signing a deal. It would be awesome if he stuck as some kind of special teams star.

4 Gophers drafted plus Botticelli as an UDFA -

Maxx Williams - 2nd round - Baltimore
Damien Wilson - 4th round - Dallas
David Cobb - 5th round - Tennessee
Cedric Thompson - 5th round - Miami
Cameron Botticelli - UDFA signing - San Diego
Isaac Freuchte - signed - Minnesota

Derrick Wells - potentially signed - Tampa Bay

7 guys at least in fall camp is pretty impressive, I think.

That is definitely cool! Epping may still have a chance as well too? 7 or 8 a year and we'd be good every year...

Freuchte wasn't very good in college. Sorry, but true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fruechte was on with Sid on Sunday - he claimed he ran a 4.37 and a 4.41 40 in his pro day. That's legitimate NFL speed. If he can polish his route-running, and show some moxie on special teams, I could see him sticking - or at the least getting on the practice roster.

Coach Klein is the man.

If he can get open, he has a chance. My biggest, uninformed, 'knock' on him is that he was never able to go up and battle for the ball.

Any word on Donnell Kirkwood catching on with the Vikings? Thought I read he was also invited to the same camp/tryout as Issac.

was he 'very good'? Not really. But he wasn't bad either. He always had the measureables though and wasn't exactly in an offense that gave him tons of opportunities so he may still have some untapped potential

was he 'very good'? Not really. But he wasn't bad either. He always had the measureables though and wasn't exactly in an offense that gave him tons of opportunities so he may still have some untapped potential

Hope so. I'd love to see another Gopher play in the NFL. He just isn't the one I would have predicted. Maybe the Vikes Brass knows more than me?? Possible, I guess [emoji1]

Hope so. I'd love to see another Gopher play in the NFL. He just isn't the one I would have predicted. Maybe the Vikes Brass knows more than me?? Possible, I guess [emoji1]

Think you are right on both counts. The Vikings Brass certainly knows way more then any of us, and even with that Fruechtte is still a massive longshot to make it in the NFL. Glad he is getting the chance to prove himself and hopefully I am wrong but I will be shocked if he is on the Vikings roster when all the cuts are done this fall.

As for Wells, hopefully he can stay healthy. He definitely has the ability to play at the next level but with his injury history I just don't know that he is going to be able to stay healthy, especially when you factor in how much bigger and stronger the guys are in the NFL. If he can stay on the field he has a chance.

Running 4.4 or less at your pro day will get you an extended look, and that speed must have shown up in practice as well. I'd say he's still a long shot to make the final roster or practice squad but it's still pretty cool.

Think you are right on both counts. The Vikings Brass certainly knows way more then any of us, and even with that Fruechtte is still a massive longshot to make it in the NFL. Glad he is getting the chance to prove himself and hopefully I am wrong but I will be shocked if he is on the Vikings roster when all the cuts are done this fall.

As for Wells, hopefully he can stay healthy. He definitely has the ability to play at the next level but with his injury history I just don't know that he is going to be able to stay healthy, especially when you factor in how much bigger and stronger the guys are in the NFL. If he can stay on the field he has a chance.

Agree on Wells. He showed flashes of potentially being a great player. His coverage skills and versatility will give him a shot. First and foremost, he has to stay healthy.

It seems like quite a few Gopher players get looks from the Vikings. Is this due to the coaches/scouts going to Gopher games and/or practices? Do the players get more looks from the Vikes staff due to the proximity of the teams? Does this happen in other cities where pro teams are close to college campuses? We seem to hear every year that players get invites to Vikes workouts/camps/etc, more so than any other team, and I'm wondering why that is. I don't follow pro ball, other than what I hear about Gopher players so sorry if this is common knowledge in the NFL circles.

I would guess that they are sensitive to local fans pulling for local players. Also the Killer Gophers have a strong off field reputation.

I would guess that they are sensitive to local fans pulling for local players. Also the Killer Gophers have a strong off field reputation.

Our new nickname. No longer the Golden Gophers. Instead the University of Minnesota Killer Gophers. Bring back angry Goldy! ;)

Sent from my iPhone u{ Not sure why the cheapshot was necessary. Our offense didn't give receivers a lot of opportunities. Great to see him get a chance. They cut Colter the Northwestern athlete to make room so they must have seen some good things.

Freuchte and all the Gopher wide receivers have taken a lot of crap from fans. I remember sitting in the stands last year and hearing some old guy screaming that Freuchte didn't deserve a scholarship. But I'm pretty sure if he ends up playing for the Vikings it will not be because the Vikings are somehow making an exception for him. He will have earned his spot.

I'm sure the only reason they signed him was because he was a Gopher. Just like they drafted Cobb, Wilson, Williams, Thompson and signed Wells as a free agent. What a bunch of bs for a forum with supposedly Gopher fans. Freuchte is one of a group that has helped change the culture of football at the U. Great to see his hard work is payed him dividends.

<b>Not sure why the cheapshot was necessary. </b>Our offense didn't give receivers a lot of opportunities. Great to see him get a chance. They cut Colter the Northwestern athlete to make room so they must have seen some good things.

I'm sure the only reason they signed him was because he was a Gopher. Just like they drafted Cobb, Wilson, Williams, Thompson and signed Wells as a free agent. <b>What a bunch of bs for a forum with supposedly Gopher fans. </b>Freuchte is one of a group that has helped change the culture of football at the U. Great to see his hard work is payed him dividends.

Not sure why saying anything negative about a Gopher player is off limits on here or reduces you a level on the fan meter? We all wish IF14 luck, but to suddenly pretend he was some (even) average WR for the U is silly. He wasn't. That doesn't mean he doesn't have talent or that I don't wish him well. Facts are Facts.

I'm sure the only reason they signed him was because he was a Gopher. Just like they drafted Cobb, Wilson, Williams, Thompson and signed Wells as a free agent. What a bunch of bs for a forum with supposedly Gopher fans. Freuchte is one of a group that has helped change the culture of football at the U. Great to see his hard work is payed him dividends.

I'm thrilled that Fruechte just signed and I hope he can make it and I don't dislike him at all or anything but we won 8 games the past two years in spite of Fruecthe being arguably our top WR last year, not because of him.

Top Bottom