Friday Night Games

found numbers from the 2021-22 school year:
this was for 11-player football (so 9-man not included)
(total population in parentheses)

Texas 162,132 (30.5 mill- 2nd place)
California 84,626 (38.9 mill - 1st)
Ohio 40,267 (11.7 mill - 7th)
Florida 37.898 (22.6 mill - 3rd)
Illinois 35,708 (12.5 mill - 6th)
Georgia 31,182 (11 mill - 8th)
Michigan 30,955 (10 mill - 10th)
Alabama 30,061 (5.1 mill - 24th place)
------
Minnesota in 16th place with 20,679 (5.7 mill- 22nd place)

note - the MSHSL in its report for the 22-23 season showed 22,534 playing football in all classes. that would include the 9-man schools, of which there are many in outstate MN.
I would say it might not be apples to apples though with just looking at participation numbers. How long is the football season in those states? How many kids are focusing on football only in those other states?

My impression is Minnesota has a short football season compared to many states and the amount of time our football players spend focusing on/training for football is less (especially compared to southern states).

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding something with this graphic, but I find it very unbelievable that Minnesota (or ALMOST any other state) has 5-10 3star+ recruits "per school per year". I cannot see any way that is possible.

1717177180528.png

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding something with this graphic, but I find it very unbelievable that Minnesota (or ALMOST any other state) has 5-10 3star+ recruits "per school per year". I cannot see any way that is possible.

View attachment 31592
It's an older article so I think the number would be higher now. MN produced 36 3+ star players in 2011-15. There's only 1 FBS school in the state so 36/5 = 7.2

It's an older article so I think the number would be higher now. MN produced 36 3+ star players in 2011-15. There's only 1 FBS school in the state so 36/5 = 7.2

Oregon would refute this map, I assume. Also, several of the states have no FBS team so why include them? I hear you on its age, though.

Oregon would refute this map, I assume. Also, several of the states have no FBS team so why include them? I hear you on its age, though.
Not understanding. The state of Oregon does not develop very many high end recruits. They're pretty close to MN when it comes to HS talent.

Like I said in my first post, I probably misunderstood the deal. My mistake.
It was trying to look at what states are the best to recruit it. Some states have a lot of 3-5 star HS recruits but also have a lot of in state programs fighting over them. Oregon, for example, will show as a lower number than MN because there are two programs in the state compared to one.

Either way, it is a way to show that MN isn't one of the worst states to produce talent. Which is what the fake Gophers fan was trying to say.

It was trying to look at what states are the best to recruit it. Some states have a lot of 3-5 star HS recruits but also have a lot of in state programs fighting over them. Oregon, for example, will show as a lower number than MN because there are two programs in the state compared to one.

Either way, it is a way to show that MN isn't one of the worst states to produce talent. Which is what the fake Gophers fan was trying to say.
I was reacting to the graphic without reading the attached article. Dumb move.

Well if it doesn’t impact you then there is no problem, right?
It's one game that has happened every year pretty much since the stadium opened, so if people can't change their routine knowing this, that's on them.

It's one game that has happened every year pretty much since the stadium opened, so if people can't change their routine knowing this, that's on them.
Yeah but people with family, friends, and jobs have to deal with it. That may not be your situation, but it exists.

Yeah but people with family, friends, and jobs have to deal with it. That may not be your situation, but it exists.
The stadium holds 50k, literally every KO date/time has conflicts for someone

You've know for 15 years the opener is on a Thursday between 6-8pm kickoff. We know more about this KO in advance than any other on the schedule. If you can't plan accordingly, i don't know what to tell you.

Not understanding. The state of Oregon does not develop very many high end recruits. They're pretty close to MN when it comes to HS talent.
This article should take population into account. Minnesota has about 1.5 million more people than Oregon

This article should take population into account. Minnesota has about 1.5 million more people than Oregon
That's fine, it was just one article. SON posted information that would show MN is not at the bottom of talent per capita and it's not even close.

found numbers from the 2021-22 school year:
this was for 11-player football (so 9-man not included)
(total population in parentheses)

Texas 162,132 (30.5 mill- 2nd place)
California 84,626 (38.9 mill - 1st)
Ohio 40,267 (11.7 mill - 7th)
Florida 37.898 (22.6 mill - 3rd)
Illinois 35,708 (12.5 mill - 6th)
Georgia 31,182 (11 mill - 8th)
Michigan 30,955 (10 mill - 10th)
Alabama 30,061 (5.1 mill - 24th place)
------
Minnesota in 16th place with 20,679 (5.7 mill- 22nd place)

note - the MSHSL in its report for the 22-23 season showed 22,534 playing football in all classes. that would include the 9-man schools, of which there are many in outstate MN.
Yeah this is in line with what I would’ve guessed. More people care about high school football here than the average. But much closer to the average than the top

Top Bottom