Friday Night Games

Heck do High School football games happen on Fridays reliably anymore?
Outstate many are still on Friday. Most conferences choose a week to play off of Friday. Metro large schools play 5-6 on Friday night.

I saw that a number of Nebraska schools are moving their Friday games the week that Nebraska is now playing a Friday night game.

Weekday football games here are a disaster, campus isn't built for it. If all games were Saturday night, I'd be all for that.
The first Thursday is a disaster because of the State Fair and no parking at the Fairgrounds.

It is stupid as hell. No interest in Friday games. If your a season ticket holder with high school athletes playing on Friday, you should get a refund for that game.
Yeah, because 90% of STH have football playing children.

I thought Friday is for high school and why pros should stay clear of Fridays.

Disaster? Hmm...maybe an inconvenience for those that show up 5 minutes before gametime.
I dunno, we are usually here a few hours before, the Thursday night games and its bad. Also sometimes the Vikings decide to play a preseason game that night, along with Twins doesn't help either.

The first Thursday is a disaster because of the State Fair and no parking at the Fairgrounds.
Throw in the other football team deciding to have a preseason game and then if the Twins are at home......

I dunno, we are usually here a few hours before, the Thursday night games and its bad. Also sometimes the Vikings decide to play a preseason game that night, along with Twins doesn't help either.
If the Thursday night game is against a good opponent, it's a disaster. If it's against NMSU or the like, it's do-able. The extra attendance for a good opponent makes a huge difference. For the OSU game we exited 35W 2 hours before kickoff. Tried going to Oak St ramp which was where my parking pass was. Ramp full. Washington also full. Get back into traffic and drive to River Road Ramp (huge line to get in). Finally get in, take the long walk to the stadium, wait in line and just barely made kickoff.

Maybe this is just a problem for universities located in metro areas with significant competing sports teams. I don't see problems in Eugene, Lincoln, Champaign Urbana, etc.

We have our Thursday games and it's already kind of a mess with parking/traffic. The Thursday game vs Ohio St a couple years ago was a disaster. It took 2 hours from the time I exited 35W on University to get into the game (traffic was bad and ramps were full).

Saturday night would be much more do-able than a Friday night.
Other than MO’s injury, I thought that game was a lot of fun.

How about the people with younger kids that have activities on Saturday's.....are they allowed to get refunds?
I've hardly been able to go to any Gopher games the last few years. My son plays football and games for anyone below 9th grade are on Saturdays.

Throw in the other football team deciding to have a preseason game and then if the Twins are at home......

Since the NFL moved to a 3 Game Pre-Season and a 17 Game Regular Season (starting in 2021) there is currently zero chance of a conflict with a Vikings exhibition at the nearby Zygi Dome with the Thursday Gopher Home Game on Labor Day Weekend.

The NFL has chosen to not schedule any games at all Labor Day Weekend.

Neither of those has even remotely impacted my ability to get to those games.
Me neither, but I can see it being a deterrent to some who like the same routine for every game. I miss the opener due to high school games conflicting mostly.

Heck do High School football games happen on Fridays reliably anymore?
Would anyone know since hardly any kids in Minnesota play high school football anymore. Minnesota has to be one of the worst states for high school football talent and participation per capita.

Would anyone know since hardly any kids in Minnesota play high school football anymore. Minnesota has to be one of the worst states for high school football talent and participation per capita.
Any evidence for this?

found numbers from the 2021-22 school year:
this was for 11-player football (so 9-man not included)
(total population in parentheses)

Texas 162,132 (30.5 mill- 2nd place)
California 84,626 (38.9 mill - 1st)
Ohio 40,267 (11.7 mill - 7th)
Florida 37.898 (22.6 mill - 3rd)
Illinois 35,708 (12.5 mill - 6th)
Georgia 31,182 (11 mill - 8th)
Michigan 30,955 (10 mill - 10th)
Alabama 30,061 (5.1 mill - 24th place)
------
Minnesota in 16th place with 20,679 (5.7 mill- 22nd place)

note - the MSHSL in its report for the 22-23 season showed 22,534 playing football in all classes. that would include the 9-man schools, of which there are many in outstate MN.

Last edited:

on the subject of Friday night games - I posted an update in the thread for the MN-WI Black Friday game.

according to The Athletic, starting next year the B1G will have a Friday night game every week of the season. Fox TV is apparently pushing for this because they lost their Friday night pro wrestling show and they see football as the next best ratings substitute.

found numbers from the 2021-22 school year:
this was for 11-player football (so 9-man not included)
(total population in parentheses)

Texas 162,132 (30.5 mill- 2nd place)
California 84,626 (38.9 mill - 1st)
Ohio 40,267 (11.7 mill - 7th)
Florida 37.898 (22.6 mill - 3rd)
Illinois 35,708 (12.5 mill - 6th)
Georgia 31,182 (11 mill - 8th)
Michigan 30,955 (10 mill - 10th)
Alabama 30,061 (5.1 mill - 24th place)
------
Minnesota in 16th place with 20,679 (5.7 mill- 22nd place)

note - the MSHSL in its report for the 22-23 season showed 22,534 playing football in all classes. that would include the 9-man schools, of which there are many in outstate MN.
MN is 22nd in population so logic says they can't be the worst state in terms of football participation. This shows that MN has a higher participation rate than California, Florida, Georgia and Michigan.

Talent wise MN is pretty close to much of the Northeast and much of the west minus California and maybe Arizona.

Solid post by gophergod yet again.

1717176588847.png

Top Bottom