Fox Sports: Nine coaches ready to build on Jerry Kill's momentum at Minnesota

I say this somewhat jokingly, but what about Bielema? He may have worn out his welcome at Arky and he can certainly get the job done in the Big Ten. I think he would relish the chance to needle Wisconsin fans. Bret Favre QB'd the Vikings. Just saying.

Anyone who says something like this has absolutely no idea about Minnesota football, and also has no class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fleck sounds like a prick. I've got a dollar it's Claeys. Claeys and this staff deserve it. Sign him to a 4 year deal with a low buyout. Then, keep an eye on Bob Nielson while you see how next year pans out.

Just hate the idea of hiring a new coach in just the fifth year of a new program. Keep Claeys at least a year and a half and see what happens - let's have some continuity. If he does really well, he could get an extension next year. Keep the door open to continuity, which might help keep recruits, too.

Claeys is an extension of Kill in my opinion. Different personality and different opinions but the structure stays the same. The program would look very familiar. Any other coach would be a complete new regime. I don't want a new regime. I don't want to take that gamble. I want to give Claeys every opportunity to prove he can be a HC in the B1G.

Yep. My sentiments exactly.

Is there a reason we are trying to decide today?

Why not Donald Trump?

Dang, I can't believe that by the time I got to a PC tonight someone had already taken my Hohensee and Trestman jokes. Can I at least be the first to recommend Jeff Horton?! After all he is right up there with Kill & Mason in conference winning percentage.

Why hasn't Craig Bohl been mentioned yet?

Fleck sounds like a prick. I've got a dollar it's Claeys. Claeys and this staff deserve it. Sign him to a 4 year deal with a low buyout. Then, keep an eye on Bob Nielson while you see how next year pans out.

+1, mainly because it would not stagnate the progress that has been made over the past few years. It would also lead to the best possible retention of the Top 30 recruiting class we have coming in.

And if for some reason after 2016 or after 2017 it is not working out, a low buy-out would allow the U to move on and conduct a proper coaching search with a new AD in place and, more than likely, fewer openings nationally to compete with. It will be hard to snag a top-tier candidate this offseason with the USC, South Carolina, and Miami jobs open already, and many other coaches on the hot seat.

I honestly believe this is the easiest coaching search. You stick with this staff. Despite some bumps this year, it's hard to argue they haven't made tremendous progress and you also can't argue Claeys isn't ready to be a head coach. Plus, in a time where the "U" is in a bit of turmoil, it would show some stability to recruits. Perfect set up. Just don't over-think it.

If you like the direction Kill has taken the Gophers, and you want to continue moving in that direction, it makes sense to give the job to Claeys.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

PLEASE NO BRADY HOKE

after the gophers basically got Hoke fired due to playing a semi concussed player and putting said player on the field.... um no thanks and he should never coach football again

Tracy Claeys - Yes
Rod Carey - No
Troy Calhoun - Meh
Dave Aranda - Yes
Brady Hoke - GOD NO
Ed Warinner - Too old
P.J. Fleck - YES
Former Gopher Tony Levine - DEAR LORD PLEASE HELP US NO
Brock Spack - WHO? Also, Too Old, and Also, No
Agreed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mike Mangino is available! He'd probably want his own training table in his contract.

Until a full-time AD is hired, there are no names to even mention other than Claeys.

PJ Fleck

would = a mass exit of the Assistant coaches. Has a total opposite philosophy/personality of this staff.

would = a mass exit of the Assistant coaches. Has a total opposite philosophy/personality of this staff.

Interesting, particularly given that he coached at NIU for 2 years with all of these guys (except Sherels).

Interesting, particularly given that he coached at NIU for 2 years with all of these guys (except Sherels).

Claeys was adamant he wanted the job. In my opinion, I don't see the man sticking around to be DC for a head coach 12 years his junior.

It should be Claeys, but if we go outside I'd hire Justin Fuente. He's completely turned around what used to be a terrible Memphis program plus he's got some midwestern ties.

Claeys was adamant he wanted the job. In my opinion, I don't see the man sticking around to be DC for a head coach 12 years his junior.

Right, I could totally see that - him leaving the job because it was one he wanted and didn't get, not because he couldn't stand working for Fleck. It's all a moot point anyway, as no outside head coach is going to come in and keep all or even a majority of the staff.

Surprised no one has mentioned the "Pirate" Mike Leach. This thread is pretty funny. Claeys is the guy barring a total collapse. I think he'll be given the opportunity to continue what Kill and his staff have started.

Surprised no one has mentioned the "Pirate" Mike Leach. This thread is pretty funny. Claeys is the guy barring a total collapse. I think he'll be given the opportunity to continue what Kill and his staff have started.

I wanted Mike before we hired Kill but I knew the U wouldn't go for him after his issues in Texas. Now, not so much, the pirate doesn't seem that appealing anymore. Although he is always fun to listen to.

I wanted Mike before we hired Kill but I knew the U wouldn't go for him after his issues in Texas. Now, not so much, the pirate doesn't seem that appealing anymore. Although he is always fun to listen to.
Hated the thought of him as a possible coach back when Kill was hired, haven't changed my mind on him as a coach since.

Had this happened last year Claeys might be coach at Kansas. Timing affects so much.

Top Bottom