Fox Sports: Nine coaches ready to build on Jerry Kill's momentum at Minnesota

Please no fired retreads, especially BRADY JOKE (as someone referred to him here). I'd be fine with giving Claeys a shot at seeing if he can continue what Killer started and Claeys has participated in for many years.

This article is fairly interesting and lists potential job candidates for various colleges that either are, will, or might be available at the end of the year (written before today's news so no Minnesota). http://www.campusrush.com/al-golden-miami-usc-coaching-corousel-1423076703.html

What sticks out to me is how many jobs are likely to be available this off season. It's going to be a very competitive market.

Tracy Claeys = a seamless transition for the existing team and recruits.

Sort of a no brainer.

Any chance Schiano would come here? Is he a fit, or more of an Eastern guy?

Someone else mentioned Narduzzi, potential to be a home run, but would he leave Pitt after one year?

Interesting option. In the event it's not Claeys.

Sort of a no brainer.

My exact thoughts. One of the great things about the current staff is the continuity. I'd hate to see that flushed down the toilet. I think highly of most of the staff. They deserve a shot.

Sort of a no brainer.

Without an AD I would think that he would be the only possible guy. Would love to see them move on a guy like PJ Fleck but with an interim AD at the helm doing so would be very difficult.

They need to either give Goetz the job or start moving on the AD search ASAP. They no longer have the luxury of taking their sweet time.

Claeys is an extension of Kill in my opinion. Different personality and different opinions but the structure stays the same. The program would look very familiar. Any other coach would be a complete new regime. I don't want a new regime. I don't want to take that gamble. I want to give Claeys every opportunity to prove he can be a HC in the B1G.

The job is not even really open yet.

I say this somewhat jokingly, but what about Bielema? He may have worn out his welcome at Arky and he can certainly get the job done in the Big Ten. I think he would relish the chance to needle Wisconsin fans. Bret Favre QB'd the Vikings. Just saying.

Can some people please stop with the Bielema thing already? He already makes a ton more in Arkansas and isn't coming here. The University of Minnesota would never even attempt to pay what the guy already makes.
Couple that with a lot of pronounced hatred and dislike for the guy already and he isn't a fit.

Let's wait until we get an athletic director until we start speculating on coaching hires. As far as I know we still have a coaching staff and many games to play. We have a head coach right now his name is Tracy Claey's, let's not focus on the unknown. We don't need a new regime and change in the program right now, some people are thrust in to adversity and they absolutely thrive. Why throw the baby out with the bath water?
I would prefer to find out if Claeys has what it takes to be a head coach in the Big 10 before moving on.

Charlie Strong wouldn't be bad if Texas cans him.

I had always heard that Caeys didn't want to be a HC. Heard him in an interview today saying he wants the job.

In answer to another poster:
When the U president job was open - Dungy's name came up.
When there was a U janitor opening - Dungy's name came up.
When there was any job opening between those two - Dungy's name came up.:)

Let's be honest if Tony Dungy (which he never will) ever coached Minnesota it would be up there in the Nick Saban, Meyer, Harbough prestige

Didn't we think Leslie Frazier would be a good fit for the Vikes? How did that work out?

Let's be honest if Tony Dungy (which he never will) ever coached Minnesota it would be up there in the Nick Saban, Meyer, Harbough prestige

Until conference season started and the Gophers went 3-5 with wins over Purdue, Indiana and Illinois. Thankful that no one has yet brought up Marc Trestman.

I don't understand why this is even a discussion. Tracy Claeys is the only choice. Continue Coach Kill's vision. END OF DISCUSSION.

In my book it's between Trestman, Dungy, Pete Najarian and Mike Grant.

per Fox Sports:

Minnesota is a pretty good job and just about as good as any of whatever else is likely to come open in the Big Ten. Maryland has a significantly better recruiting base but the Terps are in the wrong division of the Big Ten and the fifth-best job in the East, especially since Urban Meyer, Mark Dantonio and Jim Harbaugh are among the six or seven best coaches in the country and are working at more branded football programs. Same with Penn State. The Big Ten West makes the Minnesota job more attractive. The facilities are decent, but realistically near the bottom half of Power 5 programs, although the new stadium is a big plus.

Here are some of the options I think the Gophers may consider:

Tracy Claeys
Rod Carey
Troy Calhoun
Dave Aranda
Brady Hoke
Ed Warinner
P.J. Fleck
Former Gopher Tony Levine
Brock Spack

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ing-candidates-tracy-claeys-brady-hoke-102815

Go Gophers!!

The facilities are decent? They have no idea we are building a new football complex.

Tracy Claeys is the only realistic option until we fill the AD job. Give him a five year contract, with a low cost buyout, so that the new AD isn't excessively handcuffed.

Tracy Claeys - Yes
Rod Carey - No
Troy Calhoun - Meh
Dave Aranda - Yes
Brady Hoke - GOD NO
Ed Warinner - Too old
P.J. Fleck - YES
Former Gopher Tony Levine - DEAR LORD PLEASE HELP US NO
Brock Spack - WHO? Also, Too Old, and Also, No

Wow, for the second time in many years, I have been inspired to log in and praise dpodoll68 for a good post!

Other than Cleays.... I swear that whole article is just name dropping and has nothing to do with Minnesota.

Also Hoke is just mentioned to get clicks from Michigan fans.... wtf.

We all know Dungy is not coming here, so that only leaves two options.

Mark Trestman or Mike Grant!

Okay, the real answer is that if Minnesota can beat Michigan, or even tomorrow, Beth G and the President need to get on the same page with Tracy Claeys and announce as soon as possible that he is no longer the "interim" coach, but The Man.

This will create continuity and decrease the negative energy around recruiting. Claeys probably would agree to a deal that was fairly friendly to the U of M right now that would allow for a change in the future if things go into "Guteykunst"mode. There is no real downside to this approach, but if they dither, the program might lose a lot of momentum.

I think Claeys, with some backing, might give a spark to the program. I have a feeling that Claeys is not as rigid and stubborn as some of his fellow coaches, and I am sold on his defensive schemes and recruiting approach.

Top Bottom