Fox Sports: Nine coaches ready to build on Jerry Kill's momentum at Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fox Sports:

Minnesota is a pretty good job and just about as good as any of whatever else is likely to come open in the Big Ten. Maryland has a significantly better recruiting base but the Terps are in the wrong division of the Big Ten and the fifth-best job in the East, especially since Urban Meyer, Mark Dantonio and Jim Harbaugh are among the six or seven best coaches in the country and are working at more branded football programs. Same with Penn State. The Big Ten West makes the Minnesota job more attractive. The facilities are decent, but realistically near the bottom half of Power 5 programs, although the new stadium is a big plus.

Here are some of the options I think the Gophers may consider:

Tracy Claeys
Rod Carey
Troy Calhoun
Dave Aranda
Brady Hoke
Ed Warinner
P.J. Fleck
Former Gopher Tony Levine
Brock Spack

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ing-candidates-tracy-claeys-brady-hoke-102815

Go Gophers!!

As a Badger fan, I would be very very very sad if the U hired Aranda. An absolutely incredible defensive mind.

per Fox Sports:

Minnesota is a pretty good job and just about as good as any of whatever else is likely to come open in the Big Ten. Maryland has a significantly better recruiting base but the Terps are in the wrong division of the Big Ten and the fifth-best job in the East, especially since Urban Meyer, Mark Dantonio and Jim Harbaugh are among the six or seven best coaches in the country and are working at more branded football programs. Same with Penn State. The Big Ten West makes the Minnesota job more attractive. The facilities are decent, but realistically near the bottom half of Power 5 programs, although the new stadium is a big plus.

Tracy Claeys
Rod Carey
Troy Calhoun
Dave Aranda
Brady Hoke
Ed Warinner
P.J. Fleck
Brock Spack

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ing-candidates-tracy-claeys-brady-hoke-102815

Go Gophers!!
Other Claeys and Aranda, that is possibly the worst list of coaches (as a whole) I have ever seen proposed for a B1G trending up.

per Fox Sports:

Tracy Claeys
Rod Carey
Troy Calhoun
Dave Aranda
Brady Hoke
Ed Warinner
P.J. Fleck
Brock Spack

Go Gophers!!

In Spanish would that be Brady Joke?

Those are all good choices except for Hoke. If the stories are true that he expressed being 'too good for the job' back in 2010 why go to him now. I wonder if Bohl would get any consideration. He won big at NDSU but his players were often on the police blotter and he has yet to do anything of note at Wyoming. I listen o Feldman's podcast with Stewart Mandel and he seems like real smart, level headed guy.

Other Claeys and Aranda, that is possibly the worst list of coaches (as a whole) I have ever seen proposed for a B1G trending up.

I've heard really good things about PJ Fleck, but yeah, I totally agree with you. I think Matt Campbell at Toledo would be worth looking at. Same with Matt Rhule at Temple, though I don't think he'd be likely to land here.

I'm just glad I haven't seen Mike Grant's name tossed out yet.

If Hoke manages to lose to Minnesota 30-14 with Michigan talent, how would be possibly survive with Minnesota talent?

Any chance Schiano would come here? Is he a fit, or more of an Eastern guy?

Someone else mentioned Narduzzi, potential to be a home run, but would he leave Pitt after one year?

Any chance Schiano would come here? Is he a fit, or more of an Eastern guy?

Someone else mentioned Narduzzi, potential to be a home run, but would he leave Pitt after one year?

Pitt's used to it by now

Tony Levine would be interesting. He did get fired from Houston last year, but the team he recruited is undefeated this year. And he was a hot prospect for a while. Kiffin's name will get brought up (although I can't possibly seeing us give him a chance). I sure liked the thought of Al Golden when during the Brewster fire (double-entendre), but he couldn't get it done at Miami. Hard to say...

Justin Fuente, perhaps? Would probably get Patterson's seal of approval, he was at TCU for five years and has taken Memphis from 7 wins total his first two seasons to 17 (and counting) the last two. Not so much a midwest guy though.

Why not Patterson?

He's not in the same area code as what we're willing to pay a head coach, especially to get him away from another (extremely strong) P5 gig. Makes about $4M from TCU today, we'd probably have to go to him with $6M and even then it's not a guarantee given his history with the Frogs program. That's very far out of the Gophers' pay range.

Tracy Claeys - Yes
Rod Carey - No
Troy Calhoun - Meh
Dave Aranda - Yes
Brady Hoke - GOD NO
Ed Warinner - Too old
P.J. Fleck - YES
Former Gopher Tony Levine - DEAR LORD PLEASE HELP US NO
Brock Spack - WHO? Also, Too Old, and Also, No

I say this somewhat jokingly, but what about Bielema? He may have worn out his welcome at Arky and he can certainly get the job done in the Big Ten. I think he would relish the chance to needle Wisconsin fans. Bret Favre QB'd the Vikings. Just saying.

Just pay Nick Sabon 10 mil a year and call it quits.

Come on people Patterson? That's as crazy as Saban. Why would Patterson leave TCU who is top 5 in country past few years. We have to work in our realm and Patterson isn't in our realm. MN needs to be smart and make the right decision.

Tracy Claeys - Yes
Rod Carey - No
Troy Calhoun - Meh
Dave Aranda - Yes
Brady Hoke - GOD NO
Ed Warinner - Too old
P.J. Fleck - YES

Thumbs up

I say this somewhat jokingly, but what about Bielema? He may have worn out his welcome at Arky and he can certainly get the job done in the Big Ten. I think he would relish the chance to needle Wisconsin fans. Bret Favre QB'd the Vikings. Just saying.

Please dear God no please no.

He can coach in certain circumstances but he is also a deplorable human being from all accounts, and just generally a piece of ****. If he becomes the Minnesota football head coach, I will not follow the team until he is gone.

Thankfully that will never, ever happen.

D.J. Durkin? Has been at several big-name programs, did take on HC duties in the past for one game (last year's Florida bowl game, a win), is a defensive guy, young, and has the Michigan defense humming. Start that Harbaugh coaching tree?

Tracy Claeys - Yes
Rod Carey - No
Troy Calhoun - Meh
Dave Aranda - Yes
Brady Hoke - GOD NO
Ed Warinner - Too old
P.J. Fleck - YES

Agree with this. Fleck would be really interesting, and has ties to Kill and staff. If not Claeys, Fleck and Aranda would be my top choices.

per the AP:

Some possible candidates to be the next coach at Minnesota:

— Tracy Claeys, Minnesota interim coach/defensive coordinator. The Gophers went 4-3 when Claeys was acting coach two years ago, filling in while Kill was dealing with seizures. If Minnesota likes what Kill has built, it could keep it going with a somewhat known commodity.

— Rod Carey, Northern Illinois coach. Minnesota hired Kill away from NIU so why not go back to DeKalb, Illinois? The 44-year-old Carey is 28-9 in three seasons leading the Huskies. He started his coaching career as a high school coach in Minnesota and was a graduate assistant for the Gophers.

— Dave Aranda, Wisconsin defensive coordinator. Aranda once again has the Badgers among the best defenses in the Big Ten. He got a look from the Green Bay Packers after last season to join the NFL team as an assistant.

— Pete Lembo, Ball State coach. The Cardinals are on their way to a second straight losing season, but don't forget he went 25-13 in his first three seasons at a difficult place to win.

— Troy Calhoun, Air Force. Calhoun was a candidate for the Minnesota job when Kill was hired in 2010. He is 63-47 in nine seasons at Air Force and has a diverse background that also includes time in the NFL. As the gap between the Power Five conferences and the rest of FBS widens, veteran coaches such as Calhoun seem more likely to make the jump.

— Matt Campbell, Toledo. At 35 years old and in the middle of potentially his best season with the Rockets, Campbell is likely to be a hot commodity. He is also young enough — and smart enough — to be picky.

http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/9d5c450ca08146bca78c2d04233cccc6/FBC--Minnesota-Whos-Next

Go Gophers!!

That's a better list, especially Campbell.

I think it needs to be said to Claeys, "this job is yours to turn down", in the event that he does,
I'm intruiged the most by Rod Carey.

Fleck is interesting in that he coached with this staff at Northern Illinois.

Top Bottom