Four years from now, what will you consider to have been a good hire?

GopherJake

Reaction score
Right now we don't know who NT will hire. There are lots of different arguments for and against many candidates. But no matter who is hired, what has to happen in the next four years for you to consider the hire a good one?

Right now we don't know who NT will hire. There are lots of different arguments for and against many candidates. But no matter who is hired, what has to happen in the next four years for you to consider the hire a good one?

Top four in big ten once in 4 years.
Three NCAA tournament bids.
Three wins in NCAA's whether one per year or all in fourth year.

I just want the best Minnesota high school players to WANT to play for the Gophers. The rest will take care of itself.

Sweet 16
Winning B1G record all 4 years
3 or more tournaments
Full Barn
NBA draft pick

An overall winning conference record. At least one first team all-conference player. Recruits at least two players who end up setting foot on an NBA court.

Thank you! These are the types of answers I am looking for. It would be interesting, if we get enough responses, to come back in 4 years. Everyone who didn't get "their" guy will need to compare to what (s)he said would satisfy them.

I want 3 NCAA appearances. Overall winning Big Ten record. Top 4 in the conference at least once. At least a couple wins in NCAAs, with one "run."

Anything short of that, Tubby could have handled, in my opinion.

Top notch practice facilities, a few tourney appearances and a plan in place (maybe started) to deal with Williams Arena.

I didn't want to be told my realistic views meant I was satisfied with gopherholers favorite word "mediocre"

That's a tough question. The first 4 years are a tough gauge. I don't blame any coach (Flip or not) for missing 2 of the 3 Big 3, but how many of those kids he lands sort of shifts the expectations.

In general sense, by the end of year 4. . .

I want a 10 win Big 10 season.
I want an 8 seed or higher.
I want a team that doesn't fold down the stretch.

Years 4-8 are a more the mark we should be judging.

Big Ten Top half three of four years
NCAA all four years
sweet 16 at least twice

I have to say, some of the expectations are baffling to me in this thread. I have the same expectations regardless of our next coach, but to expect him to do something that we have almost NEVER done multiple times in his first 4 years is way too high of expectations for anybody.

Three NCAA Tournament appearances
Winning record in conference
One Sweet Sixteen appearance
One regular season or conference tournament championship.

Two of those four would do it for me.

I have to say, some of the expectations are baffling to me in this thread. I have the same expectations regardless of our next coach, but to expect him to do something that we have almost NEVER done multiple times in his first 4 years is way too high of expectations for anybody.

Disagree. Minnesota should and can be a National Powerhouse in basketball. It can happen quickly. This isn't football. By year 3 I want a least one NBA draft pick a year. At least and I don't care if they leave early when they are being replaced. Two Sweet Sixteens in the first 4 years. Less than that is Teague fail. Forget the Maturi years. They are history.

BTW, a good hire isn't good enough. It has to be a great hire. We just fired a future HOF coach. The expectation as set with Tubby's dismissal (which I approve of).

Disagree. Minnesota should and can be a National Powerhouse in basketball. It can happen quickly. This isn't football. By year 3 I want a least one NBA draft pick a year. At least and I don't care if they leave early when they are being replaced. Two Sweet Sixteens in the first 4 years. Less than that is Teague fail. Forget the Maturi years. They are history.

Really?

You think if we don't go to TWO Sweet 16s in the next 4 years that Teague and our next coach is a failure?

I think most people think John Beilein has done a nice job at Michigan. Michigan has better local recruits and it's Michigan. This is his 1st Sweet 16 in his 6th year and he has a 55-53 Big 10 record.

Do you think Beilein has been a failure at Michigan?

I think reasonable expectations/goals in general terms are around:

.500 BT record
At least 3 ncaa appearances (2 as top 8 seed)
At least 1 top 4 BT finish
At least 3 tournament wins.

Obviously any judgement would include qualitative crieria but for the sake of discussion, thats what I'd go with.

Top notch practice facilities, a few tourney appearances and a plan in place (maybe started) to deal with Williams Arena.

This. If Flip is the guy now, then we have to be in a position four years from now where the job is desirable enough that we can attract the type on top notch prospects who were apparently not interested this time. Not that Flip will be gone by then necessarily, but if he decides to retire at 62 or 63 or go back to the NBA or TV in some capacity, he will have done his alma mater a great service if we get to that point.

I think reasonable expectations/goals in general terms are around:

.500 BT record
At least 3 ncaa appearances (2 as top 8 seed)
At least 1 top 4 BT finish
At least 3 tournament wins.

Obviously any judgement would include qualitative crieria but for the sake of discussion, thats what I'd go with.

I agree with this.

Let's make this simpler:

When I turn on the TV to watch the Gophers play, I want to believe that, if they play well, they will win the game.

Under Tubby, I turn on the game thinking, "I hope we don't pi** this game away."

I'm not predicting Final fours or anything like that - I just want to feel good about the program and be proud to wear a gopher shirt in public.

I think we all want to win

and that has to be part of it certainly. But we can't cheat and get caught doing so.
And we can't make the newspapers for the wrong reasons like not respecting women, or stealing stuff, or driving drunk etc etc.

The coach has to win but he has to recruit people who won't embarass their teammates, the University of Minnesota and themselves.

This. If Flip is the guy now, then we have to be in a position four years from now where the job is desirable enough that we can attract the type on top notch prospects who were apparently not interested this time. Not that Flip will be gone by then necessarily, but if he decides to retire at 62 or 63 or go back to the NBA or TV in some capacity, he will have done his alma mater a great service if we get to that point.

Yeah, exactly. That's what I expect. Practice Facilities is an ABSOLUTE requirement within 2 years, no matter who the hire is!!!

The rest is more subjective, depends on the situation.

My expectations of Flip would be MUCH higher than anyone else, really.

I won't quantify my expectations, but if we hire Flip, things WILL get better, quickly, I will have HIGH expectations for our Mighty GOLDEN Gophers.

If we go with someone else, I hate to say it, but then I'll resort to going back to my LOW mediocre expectations for our minny goofers.

Pretty much this. I'd like at least one Sweet 16 in there.

In four years I want to be happy enough with what the staff has done that I see the future coach sitting on the bench near Flip. At that point I want to be thinking, " I hope we can keep this assistant for a few more years to keep this going for another 10 years after Flip is gone. The main performance metric for me is the record in regular season Big Ten play.Do well there and you get to the tournament and get a good enough seeds to make advancing probable.

4 years from now:
BB practice facility completed (preferably by late 2015)
The 'U' bb program reestablishes itself as one of the top 4 bb programs in the BIG
We have at least 1 elite 8 appearance during
years 3 or 4
NT is the AD whose name is synonymous with all things good about U of M athletics
That is all I have to say about that

Lots of good takes in this thread. I would think a good hire would have went to a minimum of 2 NCAA tournaments (at least once as a seed better than 6) and have at least one season inside the top 4 of the Big Ten. Perhaps more importantly, I would want to be looking ahead to years 5 and 6 and expecting to see the school near the top of the conference and not battling for a bubble spot in the Big Dance.

I can't really say much about overall record, because I feel like there's a real possibility next year could be a struggle. If the Gophers went something like 5-13 in the B1G next year, that would be quite a hole to get out of in terms of being over .500 through 4 years.

OP Question: "Four years from now, what will you consider to have been a good hire?"

Any guy who will keep me alive and kicking with excitement and energy, enough beer to keep me happy, and station19 continues to fight with Parski1.

1 11 win B10 season
2 seasons with at least 9 B10 wins
2 NCAA Tourneys, and 2 wins in the NCAA's

Top Bottom