Former Players Reaction to Tubby being fired

Flip's last year: 59 wins - Conference Finals

Year after Flip: 34 wins

Yep, it was Flip's fault.

The Twolves have risen to meteoric heights with Flip out of the picture.

Yep, Flip helped them bottom out. He started the decline. BEFORE he arrived, they were coming off back to back Finals appearances and he arrived and the squad to a turn for the worse. They had less success BEFORE Flip than once he arrived. The Flip Era in Detroit ushered in the end of what Larry Brown built.

When Flip was canned, they traded Chauncy Billups for Allen Iverson and that officially blew up their team.

Why did you fail to bring up Washington?

The Wolves. . .hmmm. . . I wonder whose departure has hurt them worse. . .the coach who hasn't won anything in the NBA or KG? I don't know. I'll have to think on that one for awhile.

So....

Wally > Pierce
Sprewell > Ray Allen
Candy Man > Perkins
Sam I Am > Rondo

Makes total sense.

You're not following much pro ball huh?

The Sam I Am that played with KG was absolutely better than Rondo at first. So yes.

KG was also in his prime.

KG at 26 > KG at 30 (that's easy)
Sam I Am in 03-04 > Rondo in 07 (by a lot)
Ray Allen was probably marginally better than Spree at this time.
Pierce was better than Wally. (by a lot)
Ervin Johnson was the starter, not Kandi man and he was pretty similar to Perkins production in their respective phases of their career.

The role players, probably pretty close, but it's probably the Wolves. Hoiberg and Trenton Hassell were probably better than any role player on Boston.

Those two teams were absolutely close in terms of talent.

The role players, probably pretty close, but it's probably the Wolves. Hoiberg and Trenton Hassell were probably better than any role player on Boston.

Damn I forgot about Trenton Hassell. It's amazing how much of the Twolves I have purged from my memory after their decline.

You're not following much pro ball huh?

The Sam I Am that played with KG was absolutely better than Rondo at first. So yes.

KG was also in his prime.

Ray Allen was probably marginally better than Spree at this time.
Ervin Johnson was the starter, not Kandi man and he was pretty similar to Perkins production in their respective phases of their career.

Taking one poor stance after another Bob? You must like taking the tough end of a debate but this one is mind boggling to say the 03-04 Wolves were identical to the 07-08 Celtics in terms of talent. It's difficult to overstate the impact of the top 3 players on a team. Ray Allen and Paul Pierce were undoubtedly much better than Sprewell and Cassell. Match them up however you'd like, but the Celtics big 3 that year trumped ours (Even with KG at 30).

The supporting casts differ significantly. I'll take Rondo, Perkins, Posey, Cassell, Big Baby, Powe, Tony Allen any day over Wally, Hassell, Hoiberg, Ervin Johnson, Derick Martin, Mark Madsen, Candi.. You follow pro ball, I'm sure you get it.

1. You're not following much pro ball huh?

2. The Sam I Am that played with KG was absolutely better than Rondo at first. So yes.

3.KG was also in his prime.

4. Ray Allen was probably marginally better than Spree at this time.
5. Ervin Johnson was the starter, not Kandi man and he was pretty similar to Perkins production in their respective phases of their career.

Just going on those five items I wouldn't pat yourself on the back too much in regard to your pro hoops expertise.

1. Follow just as much as you.
2. Funny how you only will go with the one year of Sam C. and not the disastrous 2nd year when he was garbage.
3. So three years later and KG is a grizzled veteran all of a sudden? O.K..
4. Ray Allen was a 22-25 point scorer right before he went over to the Celtics. Sprewell was one year away from not being picked-up by anyone in the league.
5. Johnson and Candy = almost a solid starter. Perkins was a solid starter already. Erv could block a shot now and then, but he wasn't close to the defensive player Perkins was. Perkins was crazy bad on offense but so were Erv and Candy Man.

I don't think we are going to see eye to eye on this one at all.

@TheBobbyJackson

Jus got thru playing golf and heard Minnesota fired @CoachTubbySmith ,how do you replace that.

@TheBobbyJackson

Jus got thru playing golf and heard Minnesota fired @CoachTubbySmith ,how do you replace that.

Replace a (.426) conference winning percentage? It might be easier than Bobby thinks.

Just saw a tweet from Al Nolen. He was one of 4 players that played all 4 years at the U under Tubby. Only 4 players...He should've have 3 classes play all 4 years.

Just saw a tweet from Al Nolen. He was one of 4 players that played all 4 years at the U under Tubby. Only 4 players...He should've have 3 classes play all 4 years.

It was Al, Blake, Rodney and Ralph.

You can't really blame Glen Taylor, he gave out a TON of money. He is the reason the players' salaries got restructured and he had no issue with spending a ton of money. The loss of first round picks hurt, but Flip failed at MN and made Detroit and Washington worse when he was there. He was not a good NBA basketball coach.

What hurt FS with the TWolves was that one point guard (can't remember name) jealous of KGs contract and then not getting Billips re-signed.

McHale treated it like FS lost the team...not sure on that, though may have been a point. I have felt for a number of years that appeasing KG, both with the enormous contract and in player movement were at the heart of a number of team problems.

btw - another even more telling comment by Trevor (don't remember exact quote) was that the first four years Tubby was very to the point and demanding. The last couple he was indecisive, back and forth on his comments. He would yell one day and try and coddle the next. I think some of the defections and problems caused him to be unsure of himself as well as the team.

Top Bottom