Former Minnesota head coach Tracy Claeys added to Hokies staff, reunites with Kill

I'm seeing a huge, untapped market for rear view mirrors up there! I know I'm just a shoeless Auburn fan/grad, but even I can identify opportunity!

Yup.
That’s exactly the point.
The coach was backing his boys rather than his boss and employer.
A sure fire way to make yourself unhireable

In my book it showed moral integrity, sticking up for those under him put into a bad position (those unjustly accused)..

Agree with your second paragraph except for that first sentence. There was damage to the University. We were a national story for all the wrong reasons for quite a while. You might be very lucky in choosing the football fans you talk to, but, guess what? What goes on at the University is followed by everyone in the state, not just football fans. Many of the women, in particular, I talk to were very disgusted with the whole mess. Funding the U in the legislature and supporting it through donations are influenced by the perception of the U by the general public; it's not just about football fans.

Right or wrong, they felt it was jocks being jocks and men taking advantage of someone for sex. Not sure you can claim the players were done lasting damage to their reputations and then blow off the damage to the University with "gone in a couple days."

Like I've said before, there are a lot of gray areas in this story and people, including me, at times see it in terms of either black or white. One of the positive things that comes out of this I hope is more of an awareness by athletes and the student body as a whole by the damage that can be caused by putting yourself in similar situations.

Has Wisconsin done permanent damage to their program by allowing Cephus to play despite the accuser sueing the school? Probably not. I’d wager a very high percentage of “people” you’re referring to think the school is funding the football program, why is football part of the university, jock culture, etc.

I can’t imagine why anyone would be against basic fairness and due process. It simply has to be framed in a rational way. The pendulum swung way too far in one direction. The conversation needs to continue. My wife, for example is a tough customer and one of the biggest feminists you’ll ever meet. She’s disturbed by what happened and what continues to happen. Most people only read the headlines...

I'm seeing a huge, untapped market for rear view mirrors up there! I know I'm just a shoeless Auburn fan/grad, but even I can identify opportunity!

Yes. Arguing about the current versus prior coaching staffs is its own (tiring) sport on this forum. That's the issue when a program goes through multiple coaching staffs since 2006. I'd love that trend to end with the current staff.

Has Wisconsin done permanent damage to their program by allowing Cephus to play despite the accuser sueing the school? Probably not. I’d wager a very high percentage of “people” you’re referring to think the school is funding the football program, why is football part of the university, jock culture, etc.

I can’t imagine why anyone would be against basic fairness and due process. It simply has to be framed in a rational way. The pendulum swung way too far in one direction. The conversation needs to continue. My wife, for example is a tough customer and one of the biggest feminists you’ll ever meet. She’s disturbed by what happened and what continues to happen. Most people only read the headlines...

Most of us aren't going to be persuaded by your wife's feelings about what happened. All of the women I know (including my wife and daughter) were very happy with the U's handling of the sexual abuse scandal. This also includes my wife's cousin who is in the "M" Club Hall of Fame for her athletic career at the U.

There is a huge difference between the legal definitions of basic fairness and due process and your understanding of them. The U provided the players all of the fairness and due process to which they were legally entitled. More than a few college athletes around the country have won due process lawsuits against their schools. The Gopher players got their lawsuit thrown out of federal court before it even went to trial.

Last edited:

In my book it showed moral integrity, sticking up for those under him put into a bad position (those unjustly accused)..
Good for your book.
Bad for TC’s future as a head coach

Good for your book.
Bad for TC’s future as a head coach

Yeah, sometimes it takes guts to roll the dice. Perhaps he had insight as to how things were going to end for him and just let fly.

Last edited:

And you would be wrong. A couple have season tickets to Gopher football. Even if they did, their opinion is just as valid as someone's who is convinced a great injustice was made, especially since it threatened his favorite football team. Cephys being accused is quite different than multiple players being involved and a threatened boycott by an entire team and a tone-deaf coach. This is a University that since I was a student has had three massive athletic scandals: Ohio State brawl; the assault in Madison; and the Ganglehoff papers. This one doesn't equal those, in my opinion, but it certainly didn't help. Suggest you talk to more women than your feminist wife about whether or not they think women get basic fairness in the way sexual assault cases are handled.

Claeys couldn't even maintain discipline with his waistline, why would anyone expect him to do it with a team.

Top Bottom