Former Minnesota head coach Tracy Claeys added to Hokies staff, reunites with Kill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Ryan:

Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente has added years of experience to his defense under newly hired defensive coordinator Justin Hamilton by adding former Minnesota head coach Tracy Claeys to his staff as the new linebackers coach.

"I'm excited to welcome Tracy to Blacksburg," Fuente said. "Tracy is an outstanding football coach who will serve as another great resource for me, Justin Hamilton and our entire coaching staff. Coach Claeys' track record as a defensive coach, a recruiter and his longtime association with Jerry Kill were among on the many reasons we wanted him to join us at Virginia Tech. We're enthusiastic about adding Tracy's expertise and leadership to our team."

Claeys replaced Jerry Kill as the head coach at Minnesota following Kill’s medical retirement from football. During his time as head coach, Claeys posted an 11-8 record with back-to-back bowl appearances.

In his one full season at the helm in Minnesota, he led the Gophers to a 9-4 record with a victory over Washington State in the Holiday Bowl.

He most recently served as the defensive coordinator at Washington State.

"I appreciate Coach Fuente offering me the opportunity to coach at Virginia Tech, a place where there has been such a great history of winning football," Claeys said. "I'm eager to do everything I can to help Coach Fuente, Coach Hamilton and this staff build on the tradition of tough, hard-nosed football that coaches across the nation associate with Virginia Tech. I'm also excited to continue working with Jerry Kill, who is one of the finest football men I've ever been associated with in this game."

Go Gophers!!

Good for Coach Claeys. If it were up to me, there would be a place on any staff I were involved with. I hope they do well.

Linebacker coach....talk about underemployed!
I'm a little surprised about this as well. I always felt that he was an excellent DC. However perhaps more out there than we realized. I would think he would be in demand.

I'm a little surprised about this as well. I always felt that he was an excellent DC. However perhaps more out there than we realized. I would think he would be in demand.
At WSU things didn't go well and the football world has short term memory... only.

Will Sawvel join the reunion?

ol jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. his endorsement of claeys is no surprise as no doubt kill sees claeys as a coach who shares the same values on and off the field. claeys will be a conduit for kill and the impact he's having on hokie student athletes.

Don’t
ol jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. his endorsement of claeys is no surprise as no doubt kill sees claeys as a coach who shares the same values on and off the field. claeys will be a conduit for kill and the impact he's having on hokie student athletes.
don’t make me pull out the post yer rippin off from around page 190. Just stop on

Again with the "Ol' Jer" crap?

If you insist on being one of Pat's Parrots, could you at least put the apostrophe in the proper place? Also, if you're going to be faithful to your inspiration, Patrick Reusse's 'pithy' name for Kill was "Country Jer".

I know, I know... Reusse has professionals editing his musings, and you don't have that advantage. But let's be honest: this "Country Jer" schtick is some of Pat's weaker stuff, and it's not worth parroting.

Reusse was once an excellent sports writer, but these days he's a mere troll. You could do better in your choice of heroes.

Last edited:

Pure comedy

Everyone from that era was over employed apparently.

Last edited:

Old and tired post. Get help.

If you like PJ, you can’t like Kill. You have the uneducated rift-raft crowd covered Scools. Congrats!
One thing has nothing to do with the other.

No matter how hard they wish for it the U isn’t putting up a statute of Ol Jer.

Last edited:

Apparently, Claeys is an excellent investor in the stock market or so I've been told. I'm assuming, as others have stated, that he is not hurting financially. Therefore the job as a linebacker coach is non stressful way of doing what he loves to do. I wish him the best of success.

If you like PJ, you can’t like Kill. You have the uneducated rift-raft crowd covered Scools. Congrats!

I like and respect both Kill and PJ. Both good coaches with unique styles. I'm guessing that's the majority opinion here.

Pure dumbassity.

Jerry Kill lied to us when he told us he could take his meds and do an excellent job as coach. He knew that was not true when he said it in order to land the job. When the inevitable train wreck arrived we were left with the mess. That makes Jerry a major league liar in my book, for whatever that is worth. That others wish to employ him today is their problem (or not), not mine.

People are just dying to hire a guy that quit mid season

or a guy who got fired

Who really knows what happened

Top Bottom