Former Gophers QB Phillip Nelson arrested in his hometown of Mankato for assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Nelson was actually suckered from behind and then retaliated in anger in an unfortunate manner. It matters that the other kid started the physical altercation; if not legally then over time in the court of public opinion.

What's worse a sucker punch on the shoulder from behind or kicking a guy in the head twice, while he's unconscious on the ground?

You really seem to buy into the ******bag football culture. Nelson is just another thug who claims to be a "student athlete". The vast majority of these guys are worthless and don't contribute to society when football is over. The good news is that one of our conference foes just lost a potential starting QB.

First, thoughts and prayers for Isaac. I'm sorry, but I am so glad Phillip was not part of the team when this went down. Whatever the truth is, it still would have been a stain on the program JK is trying to build here.

Interesting Difference

I have always found that the people who post at The Daily Gopher are quite different in their attitudes and approaches to various topics than those who post here. For example, at The Daily Gopher there has been 18 comments so far on their Nelson string compared to 268 on this string. Definitely a different crowd there.

You do realize that you and stcgopher are the only two who think "he started it" actually matters here. Also, so you know, kicking an unconscious person in the head is not an "unfortunate manner." It is an unbalanced, psychotic, and criminal manner.

Sounds like Phil was maybe even walking away walking away when it all escalated. I'll sleep at night not wanting to lock him up and throw away the key. Everyone is so quick to judge, but things are never quite so black and white.

Who had just tried his best to physically harm Phil first. No way Phil knew the kid was out cold when he kicked him; not that he should have kicked him. Maybe Phil was staggered from the hit he took and not thinking quite right? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm speechless - seriously

Sounds like Phil was maybe even walking away walking away when it all escalated. I'll sleep at night not wanting to lock him up and throw away the key. Everyone is so quick to judge, but things are never quite so black and white.

Unfortunately that may be true but the law isn't always so kind or forgiving.

I have always found that the people who post at The Daily Gopher are quite different in their attitudes and approaches to various topics than those who post here. For example, at The Daily Gopher there has been 18 comments so far on their Nelson string compared to 268 on this string. Definitely a different crowd there.

Couldn't agree more, Killjoy.

I'm speechless - seriously

Fond your voice 97 Alumni and let me know what your response would have been had you been 20 years old and suckered from behind. Would you have picked yourself up and prayed for your attacker or would you have been angry? The kick, as I have consistently said, was obviously a bad choice but in the heat of the moment bad choices get made. All losers when fights break out no winners.

Fond your voice 97 Alumni and let me know what your response would have been had you been 20 years old and suckered from behind. Would you have picked yourself up and prayed for your attacker or would you have been angry? The kick, as I have consistently said, was obviously a bad choice but in the heat of the moment bad choices get made. All losers when fights break out no winners.

Angry <> kicking someone in the head. "Good kids" don't kick people in the head.

Indi the reason most people don't get into a position to be suckered punched is they don't go places where bad folks hang out, don't drink to excess, don't feel a need to "get respect" from strangers, aren't obsessively possessive of their girlfriends…they walked away before it even began by not even being there. The bad choice was not dealing with the dysfunction in one's life in the first place…

The videos will clarify what happened, but there will always be a ton of back stores told. This thing is far from over, however. Bottom line, though, is Phillip is in big trouble and will go to jail for this. I just don't seem him being a sympathetic character to a jury - highly trained athlete up on a pedestal. If Isaak doesn't pull through...wow, Phillip could be looking at a murder (manslaughter?) charge.

Believe it if you want but details will emerge. . .

It was a group situation starting with Phil and the other guy. Phil definitely was involved in the fight (which is really stupid, I know), but he wasn't the one who kicked the guy when he was down.

It sounds like drunk young men being stupid and one psychopath took it too far.

So now that the details have emerged... is Philip the psychopath?

The posted document is damning. It is on video. He will be going away for awhile, probably a long while. This goes far beyond a self-defense case.

As far as Isaac i imagine the outcome will be touch and go for at minimum the next week or so and if he survives the initial episode it will be a long while before the extent of the damage is ascertained or what recovery will look like.

Jiminy Christmas, this is depressing all around.

Who had just tried his best to physically harm Phil first. No way Phil knew the kid was out cold when he kicked him; not that he should have kicked him. Maybe Phil was staggered from the hit he took and not thinking quite right? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

You're right, it is pretty hard to figure out someone is out cold when they aren't moving.

If he really did kick the guy in the head while down, I just don't know how anyone could make an excuse for him, no matter who started it or how it got to that point. What he did (if true) was about as cowardly as it gets in my opinion.

So in a nutshell:

Nelson was jealous that a bouncer seemed to be hitting on his gf. So after leaving the place, he saw Isaac and assumed he was the bouncer, so he started an argument. Isaac felt disrespected and threw a punch into the back shoulder of Nelson. Then some dude in red, sucker punches Isaac as Isaac is walking away. Isaac instantly is out, and falls and slams his head into the ground. Then Nelson goes up to Isaac and kicks him at least once on the left side of Isaac's head even though Isaac was already out.

A few thoughts... It doesn't matter who started it. There was no threat to anyone's life until the unknown person sucker punches Isaac in the head and knocks him out. At this point, Nelson could have just walked away, but he didn't. Instead, he decides to try to kill Isaac. You people may not think he tried to kill Isaac, but trust me, if someone's head is vulnerable on the ground and you decide to wind up and kick it, you are trying to murder the person. If Nelson wanted to just hurt the guy, he would have just kicked him anywhere else on the body. They supposedly have video showing Nelson kicking Isaac on the left side of his head as Isaac laid there motionless. Skull fracture is on the left side of Isaac's head, so it's most likely Nelson caused it. Afterwards, the video shows Nelson, his gf, and the unknown person grouped together, as if talking, then the unknown person runs one way, and Nelson and his gf starts walking away a different way.

I'm thinking Nelson knows the unknown assailant, because people usually don't get enough rage to want to hit someone, unless they think that person is disrespecting them or their friend(s). Nelson just doesn't want to rat out his friend.

Either way, Nelson is in big big trouble.

So in a nutshell:

Nelson was jealous that a bouncer seemed to be hitting on his gf. So after leaving the place, he saw Isaac and assumed he was the bouncer, so he started an argument. Isaac felt disrespected and threw a punch into the back shoulder or Nelson. Then some dude in red, sucker punches Isaac as Isaac is walking away. Isaac instantly is out, and falls and slams his head into the ground. Then Nelson goes up to Isaac and kicks him at least once on the left side of Isaac's head even though Isaac was already out.

A few thoughts... It doesn't matter who started it. There was no threat to anyone's life until the unknown person sucker punches Isaac in the head and knocks him out. At this point, Nelson could have just walked away. They supposedly have video showing Nelson kicking Isaac on the left side of his head as Isaac laid there motionless. Skull fracture is on the left side of Isaac's head, so it's most likely Nelson caused it. Afterwards, the video shows Nelson, his gf, and the unknown person grouped together, as if talking, then the uknown person runs one way, and Nelson and his gf starts walking away a different way.

I'm thinking Nelson knows the unknown assailant, because people usually don't get enough rage to want to hit someone, unless they think that person is disrespecting them or their friend(s). Nelson just doesn't want to rat out his friend.

Not sure where you got this. I didn't read anything like this from the police report.

So Nelson was actually suckered from behind and then retaliated in anger in an unfortunate manner. It matters that the other kid started the physical altercation; if not legally then over time in the court of public opinion.

I think Nelson has bigger things to worry about than how the court of public opinion sees this.

Every time you hear or read about a bad fight or issue in a bar it is almost always happening at closing time or sometime after midnight. Doc Don is right....not many positive things happen after midnight in bars. As a dad of college and post college aged kids this story makes me sick.

ESPN changed their front page headline to ex-gophers QB

I've never stated I thought PN was in the right, all I said was that Ik initiated the fight, which was true. Here's some real talk: if IK doesn't sucker punch PN the situation never escalates and Ik has his health. BOTH guys were in the wrong, just a terrible situation. If PN really knew who dropped IK he'd turn him in; if that kid doesn't throw the punch PN isn't in the situation he's in bc IK would have been able to defend himself. Also, if some dude just jacked you from behind you are going to charge after him; was PN sober enough to assess the victim's status? Nope. Some serious bad luck for everyone involved.

Let's not act like a random act of violence was committed upon IK.

By tomorrow, there will be a very different view of the events by more witnesses. Did PN realize where he was kicking the victim? Was there time to deliberate where he was going to kick or was it more reflexive? If the whole thing lasted only 5 to 6 seconds there may be a defense for PN. Only a jury can decide what should be done.

source? link?

Read the statements released by the police. IK punch PN hard enough to drop the very large man to the ground. PN will not get much jail time, if any, nor should he.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom