For those who want Claeys gone, who is your hire?

Long-shot: Dan Mullen

Failing that: Miles, Strong, Ken N., Fleck, Dave Clawson

It's funny to me that we would fire a coach who went 8-4 at Minnesota only to hire a coach who was 16-21 at Texas.

What kind of coach would come to Minnesota if they fire a coach who won 8 games in his first season as coach?

A coach that understands MN's schedule was a sham, its current coach just finished up an interim interview, his buyout is like $8.50, and he wasn't hired by the current AD.

It's funny to me that we would fire a coach who went 8-4 at Minnesota only to hire a coach who was 16-21 at Texas.

winner-winner-chicken-dinner1.png

When will everyone realize it's not the coach? By the way PJ Fleck or whatever would not win one game here. He is a tool. Kill came here and we were lucky he did. He changed a few things and was finally shut down by his health and Eric Kaler's handlers. The University of Minnesota and this state do not care about beating Wisconsin or anyone else. Nothing wrong with our current coach.

Really? Because he won 2 Big Ten games this year against common opponents and with lesser talent. At least know what you're talking about before you rant.

This is pretty hilarious! Names just being tossed about that probably have slim to none interest in coming here. Just saw Kelly might be out at Notre Dame so let's toss his name in here too! The only thing that will be more hilarious is in week 1 of next year when Green or Croft start their opening drive in week 1 by not completing a 3rd and long and people will be demanding for the other to come into the game immediately. And then when he also throws an incompletion, we will blame the recruiting and someone starts to look at possible Jucos for next year.

For the record (not that anyone cares but feel the need to vent) I see both pros and cons of keeping/firing our coach. I want to beat Wisconsin as much as anyone. The second half was putrid and Leidner played as bad as he has all year in that half. If one of these QB's can even be remotely better than him, I like our chances for the next 4 years. Let's be honest with ourselves. If our guys weren't suspended we most likely beat PSU. The Iowa and WI falls mostly on Leidner(he played bad and I hate saying that cause I actually like the kid.) He was limited by his abilities in a way that Joey King was limited by his on the bball team. Probably shouldn't have been a 4 year starter and that does fall on recruiting(which Claeys had no part of until this past year.) Claeys will never be a rah rah guy but doesn't mean he won't be successful. If they decide to move on, I am on board and won't sit and moan about it. And same if they keep him. Unless someone on this board has millions of dollars on hand and is willing to give them some cash, we have no say in what they decide. Support the decision or nothing will ever get better. Not everyone will agree, and I am sure we can go back on everyone's thoughts when Kill was hired and it would be similar. But we have to understand who we are and that money talks. So if we get rid of Claeys, we need to overpay by a large percentage if we want someone who another team might also want. Kill wasn't a top choice and got him for dirt cheap, and got supremely lucky. Won't happen again. If we go another route, open the checkbook and we will go to bed with this new coach, for good or bad. And lastly, if you don't think our defense has not been drastically better the last 2-4 years than the previous 10-15, I don't know what to tell you. Our offense has been the reason we haven't won more games and the guys who have been most responsible for our offensive production (Leidner and Limegrover) are no longer here and the players who are the main reason for any production (Smith and Brooks) are both here for 2 more years.

But let's keep the random coaching names flying. It's more fun that way!

A coach that understands MN's schedule was a sham, its current coach just finished up an interim interview, his buyout is like $8.50, and he wasn't hired by the current AD.

An interim interview? What's that?

This

Really? Because he won 2 Big Ten games this year against common opponents and with lesser talent. At least know what you're talking about before you rant.

Wait, I thought that Minnesota has awful talent and terrible recruiting classes. So now, we are to accept that the great boat rower has lesser talent? I have read for years on the GH about MAC level recruiting and coaching strategies in place under Kill and Claeys, but now on 11/26/2016 we just learned that Western Michigan now has "lesser talent". If that is the case, since he has lesser talent than the incompetent Kill/ Claeys regime, if he has down year in 2017, should he be fired?

Oh, also I suggest you apply for a job teaching the "Transitive Properties of College Football" at somewhere. Brilliant!

Oh, and the great Greg Bohl has his team down 14-42 to New Mexico right now. Should he be fired? Should Jim Mora be fired at UCLA? They look like a mediocre team and we all know that than leads to!.

This is pretty hilarious! Names just being tossed about that probably have slim to none interest in coming here. Just saw Kelly might be out at Notre Dame so let's toss his name in here too! The only thing that will be more hilarious is in week 1 of next year when Green or Croft start their opening drive in week 1 by not completing a 3rd and long and people will be demanding for the other to come into the game immediately. And then when he also throws an incompletion, we will blame the recruiting and someone starts to look at possible Jucos for next year.

For the record (not that anyone cares but feel the need to vent) I see both pros and cons of keeping/firing our coach. I want to beat Wisconsin as much as anyone. The second half was putrid and Leidner played as bad as he has all year in that half. If one of these QB's can even be remotely better than him, I like our chances for the next 4 years. Let's be honest with ourselves. If our guys weren't suspended we most likely beat PSU. The Iowa and WI falls mostly on Leidner(he played bad and I hate saying that cause I actually like the kid.) He was limited by his abilities in a way that Joey King was limited by his on the bball team. Probably shouldn't have been a 4 year starter and that does fall on recruiting(which Claeys had no part of until this past year.) Claeys will never be a rah rah guy but doesn't mean he won't be successful. If they decide to move on, I am on board and won't sit and moan about it. And same if they keep him. Unless someone on this board has millions of dollars on hand and is willing to give them some cash, we have no say in what they decide. Support the decision or nothing will ever get better. Not everyone will agree, and I am sure we can go back on everyone's thoughts when Kill was hired and it would be similar. But we have to understand who we are and that money talks. So if we get rid of Claeys, we need to overpay by a large percentage if we want someone who another team might also want. Kill wasn't a top choice and got him for dirt cheap, and got supremely lucky. Won't happen again. If we go another route, open the checkbook and we will go to bed with this new coach, for good or bad. And lastly, if you don't think our defense has not been drastically better the last 2-4 years than the previous 10-15, I don't know what to tell you. Our offense has been the reason we haven't won more games and the guys who have been most responsible for our offensive production (Leidner and Limegrover) are no longer here and the players who are the main reason for any production (Smith and Brooks) are both here for 2 more years.

Best post I've read yet on the subject.

Bielema has wins over FLA, Miss and TCU and makes over 4 million, but we should hire him!

When will everyone realize it's not the coach? By the way PJ Fleck or whatever would not win one game here. He is a tool. Kill came here and we were lucky he did. He changed a few things and was finally shut down by his health and Eric Kaler's handlers. The University of Minnesota and this state do not care about beating Wisconsin or anyone else. Nothing wrong with our current coach.

Sincere question here: Why do you consider Fleck a tool when he was basically mentored by Coach Kill and once part of his staff?
Which, again, is why I thought we needed to consider plucking him last year while at the same time keeping TC as DC.

Ken N- I don't like this idea at MN. One of the only things MN produces well are big OL. A wishbone offense isn't the best with those kinds of players. I also can't imagine the wishbone having much of a ceiling in the Big 10. I'd pass.

Miles - I'd pass. I have to think the people that think he would be a good hire didn't watch a ton of LSU. LSU won because of great talent, I don't know if his recruiting ability would translate to MN. I think it would be a much orse version of Ron Zook because we don't have as much instate talent as Illinois.

Mullen - Yeah. I don't think you could get him, but yeah, he's a good coach.

Fleck - He would make sense.

Strong- What?

You know this how?

We'll documented. He loves the Naval Academy, passed up on his dream job @ BYU, and his family. Numerous articles on his decision. Perhaps best one is December 16th, 2015 Washington Post article on why he stayed.

We'll documented. He loves the Naval Academy, passed up on his dream job @ BYU, and his family. Numerous articles on his decision. Perhaps best one is December 16th, 2015 Washington Post article on why he stayed.

Every coach loves where he is until the second he's out the door. He may not come here, but I don't buy the 'he'll never ever leave' story line for almost any coach that's not at an elite school.

Les Miles, Brock Spack, PJ Fleck, Chip Kelly... take your pick. They'd all make better HCs than Claeys.

Every coach loves where he is until the second he's out the door. He may not come here, but I don't buy the 'he'll never ever leave' story line for almost any coach that's not at an elite school.

He's spent close to 2 Decades in Annapolis. He is not coming here. I also think he loves our Service Academies, the men who serve, and sees it as a way of giving back. I guess we have a difference of opinion in regards to what an elite school is as I would rank our Service Academies at the top of my elite school list.

One who knows they are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One who is smart enough to negotiate a rather large expensive multi-year guaranteed buyout like the sweetheart deal Pellini got from Nebraska. That's who.

Guys, with the way salaries have changed the last 10 years it is literally like winning the lottery to move from a Group of 5 to a Power 5 school. It is an old way of thinking to say that we can't get so and so because of X and Y. Money talks, BS walks.

Sure it's a risk to move on from Claeys. It all depends how you frame the argument and I can see both sides. Like others I won't be too upset if he stays; I'll be hopeful, but I won't be upset if they get an up and comer. Not really excited about a re-tread from a big school.

Les Miles, Brock Spack, PJ Fleck, Chip Kelly... take your pick. They'd all make better HCs than Claeys.

A sitting NFL head coach is likely to be an improvement over our current head coach? No sh1t, huh?

I'll pass on Spack. Had a couple good years at ISU, but had to win their last 4 games to go 6-5 and squeeze into the FCS playoffs, and gave up 24 4th quarter points to blow a big lead and lose in the 1st round yesterday.

Great post

Top Bottom