For once Doogie writes an intelligent article

Again, I'm trying to find his motive for saying the following, "The No. 1 reason, and it's not close, why a player chooses the Gophers is the chance to play, and more importantly, play right away. That aspect isn't changing anytime soon." What's his reason for writing that? I outlined my guess above. And I also believe I absolutely disproved it. And by the way, I agree that it is a selling point. But I disagree that the players all think that but don't want to upset the veterans. Seeing that 90% of a class is redshirted should remove any illusions.

Note how I've never said you are wrong in this assertion. I, too, disagree with Doogie that the only thing Brewster has to sell is playing time. The facts do not bear out that assertion.

All I'm saying is that if you're going to castigate people for their accuracy, then you damn well better have your facts straight. And you don't. Nothing more, nothing less.

RB and OL, while not losing depth, have been the most glaring weaknesses on our offense. As you stated, those are where we are getting the highest rated recruits, which lends credence to Doogie's argument. Perhaps his scope was intended to be for impact recruits. I am not saying he is right, or that you are wrong. I do think arguments can be made for either viewpoint. Also, I do not think it is fair to Doogie to ask him to outline past conversations he has had, where he has to balance releasing information to the public, and ensuring he can have such conversations in the future.

I already said that I was wrong to bring up the Alamo bowl. The playing time thing is much more than Doogie being inaccurate and it sounds like you agree with me so I'll drop it.

RB and OL, while not losing depth, have been the most glaring weaknesses on our offense. As you stated, those are where we are getting the highest rated recruits, which lends credence to Doogie's argument. Perhaps his scope was intended to be for impact recruits. I am not saying he is right, or that you are wrong. I do think arguments can be made for either viewpoint. Also, I do not think it is fair to Doogie to ask him to outline past conversations he has had, where he has to balance releasing information to the public, and ensuring he can have such conversations in the future.

Ok, but if you're good enough to beat out 2 year starters in the Big 10 as a true freshman, you can pick a lot of schools to go to. It can't be the only or main reason they're coming here. Why weren't defensive stars from Texas and Florida lining up to play for Mason? If Doogie WERE making up that he's talked to people, it would be awfully convenient that he couldn't name them or prove that they exist. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

Section2 -- I respect/appreciate your passion ... I can't say it enough: If apathy ever sets in with the fanbase, I will be upset ... I always appreciate some back-and-forth ... we agree on this: We'd both like to see our favorite university win, and win at a high level in football.

Section2 -- I respect/appreciate your passion ... I can't say it enough: If apathy ever sets in with the fanbase, I will be upset ... I always appreciate some back-and-forth ... we agree on this: We'd both like to see our favorite university win, and win at a high level in football.

Thank you, but I'd rather you tell me your motive for writing "The No. 1 reason, and it's not close, why a player chooses the Gophers is the chance to play, and more importantly, play right away. That aspect isn't changing anytime soon."

Thank you, but I'd rather you tell me your motive for writing "The No. 1 reason, and it's not close, why a player chooses the Gophers is the chance to play, and more importantly, play right away. That aspect isn't changing anytime soon."
because it is his opinion and is probably true? Sometimes people just express their opinions without some darkly shrouded motive.

Doogie! I command you to reveal the totality of your dark plot to submarine Herr Brewster! I will not rest until you are brought to justice.

I'd like to think it's an informed opinion ... and since JUCOs are more prevalent w/ Brew vs. Mason, I suppose we can enter those players into the mix also ... so Wills, Traye, Lawrence, Hayo to a degree, Brock last year, & McKinley all got playing time relatively soon into their careers.
Shady another example of a player who played right away, same w/ Green, Brodrick Smith, & Dandridge (last year).

Doogie! I command you to reveal the totality of your dark plot to submarine Herr Brewster! I will not rest until you are brought to justice.

Funny ... elicited laughter

I am irrationally thinking that I can change Doogie's mind by using logic, reason, and humiliation. Then, once I've changed his mind, he will write more fair articles and stop trying to emulate Ruesse. Then, he will help change the hearts and minds of Minnesotans, and the gophers will become the hottest ticket in town. If you disagree with me, it means that you do not want this to happen :D

I'd like to think it's an informed opinion ... and since JUCOs are more prevalent w/ Brew vs. Mason, I suppose we can enter those players into the mix also ... so Wills, Traye, Lawrence, Hayo to a degree, Brock last year, & McKinley all got playing time relatively soon into their careers.
Shady another example of a player who played right away, same w/ Green, Brodrick Smith, & Dandridge (last year).

^^^ completely ignored my question for those paying attn still

I will attempt to be more clear ... I wrote that because it's an informed opinion ... it of course is open for interpretation and I have no problem debating it here on GH.

Ok, but if you're good enough to beat out 2 year starters in the Big 10 as a true freshman, you can pick a lot of schools to go to. It can't be the only or main reason they're coming here. Why weren't defensive stars from Texas and Florida lining up to play for Mason? If Doogie WERE making up that he's talked to people, it would be awfully convenient that he couldn't name them or prove that they exist. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

Mason recruited Florida and Texas? :)

I am officially playing the role of Devil's Advocate, but I would argue that for the Gophers there are two prerequisites for landing a player: 1.) We recruit them; and 2.) They like our coaches (and probably players, too). There might be an exception for a couple of in-state guys who will bite at any offer from the U of M. I just don't see many recruits playing for a coach they do not like. Could a recruit choose to go to Minnesota simply because he loves the coaching staff? Sure. However, a recruit is going to be choosing between schools where he likes each of the coaching staffs. So, what becomes the deciding factor? The possibility of playing time may be the differentiating factor, or the number one reason a recruit chooses the U.

I am irrationally thinking that I can change Doogie's mind by using logic, reason, and humiliation. Then, once I've changed his mind, he will write more fair articles and stop trying to emulate Ruesse. Then, he will help change the hearts and minds of Minnesotans, and the gophers will become the hottest ticket in town. If you disagree with me, it means that you do not want this to happen :D

In that case, I will irrationally be persuaded.

Defend yourself Doogie!

Top Bottom