For once Doogie writes an intelligent article

Reaction score
It even has reasoning and logic

http://www.startribune.com/yourvoic...cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Just out of curiousity: since this shows up in the strib's "yourvoices" webpage, does that mean Doogie isn't getting paid. Granted, the trib barely has enough money for ink.

I agree that Brewster has done nothing this year to earn a contract extension. The quote from the Florida AD is interesting, but its too soon to make a change. The only way Brewster should get an extension is if he pulls a W against Iowa out of his 3rd point of contact.

Speaking of coaches on the hotseat, illuminating article on Jabba the Hutt Weis at nd. I've never had a high opinion of this pogue. After reading about him throwing his players under the bus its even lower. Pogue can't admit he got outcoached. You'd think he'd be used to it by now.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hayes/1876475,CST-SPT-neil11.article

I don't think he deserves a 4 year deal, maybe a 1 year extension with an easy buyout clause for recruiting purposes only.

As for Doogie, I've enjoyed some of his writing and really been critical of it, he tries too hard not to be a "homer", the ultimate sin of TC media. The little snide shots about Brewster and the program I could do without. The meat of his writing is fine, but he needs to throw some bones to the duckies and bunnies crowd every once in awhile. And how did the Doogie Bowl go? Dantonio sure looked outcoached on Halloween night to me, the dustup on GI about Brewster v Dantonio with Doogie seems to have been settled once and for all.
Anyway, I'm hoping Doogie grows as a media guy, I think he's learning as he goes a bit, overall I'd love to see less of the potshot KFAN mentality and more of in depth stuff, there's alot to report and discuss with the Gophers, most media around the cities just don't care, there's a niche if someone is willing to do the homework.

"The dustup on GI about Brewster v Dantonio with Doogie seems to have been settled once and for all."

I respectfully disagree. It's been settled after one head-to-head meeting? Dantonio and his staff were outcoached vs. the Gophers, Dantonio was the first to say so, but I don't think one meeting settles that argument. Let's take a look in a few years after the two programs have gone head-to-head a few more times. I like Dantonio's chances of sticking around his current program than Brew sticking at his.

"The dustup on GI about Brewster v Dantonio with Doogie seems to have been settled once and for all."

I respectfully disagree. It's been settled after one head-to-head meeting? Dantonio and his staff were outcoached vs. the Gophers, Dantonio was the first to say so, but I don't think one meeting settles that argument. Let's take a look in a few years after the two programs have gone head-to-head a few more times. I like Dantonio's chances of sticking around his current program than Brew sticking at his.

Ah, so we need a few more years to determine if a coach is good? Just not with Brewster, because we can tell he stinks.

By the way, that was a HORRIBLE article with tons of holes and misinformation. If Doogie paid attention, he would know that early playing time isn't even in the top 3 for reasons players come here. Most of the freshman class is redshirting. Also, Alamo bowl? I know you were on your honeymoon, but come on. You are an embarrassment.

Read the article...nothing new or worth writing home about...(pun intended).

BTW - the comment by the Florida AD...does that include Off. Coordinators whose offense is not going to be anything special anymore :)

I personally have nothing against the spread other than opposing defenses have gotten better at defending it. It no longer strikes the same fear opposing teams anymore and has become average. I think Brew was right to make a change there, though he probably should have tried to handle it a little more gracefully.

Anyone know if Dunbar is coaching anywhere else now?

Doogie

Its difficult for me to write "Doogie" and "intelligent article" in the same sentence. It doesn't compute.

If Brew can figure out why his Gs are so incredibly inconsistent Q-to-Q and game-to-game and is able to fix it, the W's should start coming more often and his extension will probably follow without much controversy.

For some reason(s), all season the team just hasn't been able to sustain the mid-tier ability (ex the excessive penalties) demonstrated most recently in the MSU game...it's not clear that TB has the answers yet...except "It is what it is" and "We move on." Not very encouraging.

I don't think he deserves a 4 year deal, maybe a 1 year extension with an easy buyout clause for recruiting purposes only.

As for Doogie, I've enjoyed some of his writing and really been critical of it, he tries too hard not to be a "homer", the ultimate sin of TC media. The little snide shots about Brewster and the program I could do without. The meat of his writing is fine, but he needs to throw some bones to the duckies and bunnies crowd every once in awhile. And how did the Doogie Bowl go? Dantonio sure looked outcoached on Halloween night to me, the dustup on GI about Brewster v Dantonio with Doogie seems to have been settled once and for all.
Anyway, I'm hoping Doogie grows as a media guy, I think he's learning as he goes a bit, overall I'd love to see less of the potshot KFAN mentality and more of in depth stuff, there's alot to report and discuss with the Gophers, most media around the cities just don't care, there's a niche if someone is willing to do the homework.

Thanks, I think, Ole ... hard to say the Dantonio-Brewster debate is over ... just like we can't say the Fitzgerald (2-1 vs. Brewster)-Brewster debate is over ... Thanks for taking the time to read.

By the way, that was a HORRIBLE article with tons of holes and misinformation. If Doogie paid attention, he would know that early playing time isn't even in the top 3 for reasons players come here. Most of the freshman class is redshirting. Also, Alamo bowl? I know you were on your honeymoon, but come on. You are an embarrassment.

Enough kids (Theret, Eskridge, Edwards, Stoudermire, Gray, Carter for example) got to play right away ... many of the ones redshirting are O-linemen who would be foolish to pass up the extra year in the weight room) the Alamo Bowl is the No. 5 Big Ten bowl this year, reverts back to the No. 4 (I believe) next year ... why is that unrealistic?

Read the article...nothing new or worth writing home about...(pun intended).

BTW - the comment by the Florida AD...does that include Off. Coordinators whose offense is not going to be anything special anymore :)

I personally have nothing against the spread other than opposing defenses have gotten better at defending it. It no longer strikes the same fear opposing teams anymore and has become average. I think Brew was right to make a change there, though he probably should have tried to handle it a little more gracefully.

Anyone know if Dunbar is coaching anywhere else now?

Have to remember my audience on startribune.com ... 95% are not diehards like everyone on here ... have to balance that out ... for most, I hope, there was some new information/bits ... as for Dunbar, he is collecting nearly $300,000 from the U this year, awaiting his next full-time opportunity.

"Ah, so we need a few more years to determine if a coach is good? Just not with Brewster, because we can tell he stinks."

I certainly didn't say Brew stinks. I said calling the Brew-Dantonio debate over after one head-to-head meeting is a rush to judgment.

Thanks, I think, Ole ... hard to say the Dantonio-Brewster debate is over ... just like we can't say the Fitzgerald (2-1 vs. Brewster)-Brewster debate is over ... Thanks for taking the time to read.

Fair enough on the coach v coach deal.
Seriously though, a few bones of duckies and bunnies here and there would be a unique TC media niche you could fill, what PA does with the vikings is stoke the fan base with off the wall positivity, and it works. Nobody but Sid does that for the Gophers, and most discount him. Gopher football interest will be growing due to the stadium, mostly in a younger demographic. There literally isn't a media personality around the TC that is willing to peek into the bright side of things involving gopher football. Just a thought.

Seriously though, a few bones of duckies and bunnies here and there would be a unique TC media niche you could fill, what PA does with the vikings is stoke the fan base with off the wall positivity, and it works. Nobody but Sid does that for the Gophers, and most discount him. Gopher football interest will be growing due to the stadium, mostly in a younger demographic. There literally isn't a media personality around the TC that is willing to peek into the bright side of things involving gopher football. Just a thought.

Not salacious enough!

I thought that the Alamo was still on for this year (2009 season), and the Gator bowl starts next year. I think Doogie is correct... I think.

I thought that the Alamo was still on for this year (2009 season), and the Gator bowl starts next year. I think Doogie is correct... I think.

However, he is talking about the expectations for Brewster's 4th season, not this year.

The article references the Gophers making the Alamo bowl in Brewster's fourth year (next season). The Alamo bowl is still on for this year.

I don't know why some of you get so bent out of shape with some of Doogie's articles. It's just one man's opinion. Now if he's bending the truth or even flat out lying about certain things, then I can understand it. But I haven't seen any of that so far.

Whether you like what he writes or not, it's at least cool that he comes on here to discuss it.

I am as passionate about Gophers football as anyone ... it's my alma mater and I grew up here, enjoying Atwell, Thelwell, Darkins, etc ... but also will be a realist, and have expectations ... 0-8 in trophy games; 0-7 against ranked opponents, plus a loss to NDSU bothers me.

Enough kids (Theret, Eskridge, Edwards, Stoudermire, Gray, Carter for example) got to play right away ... many of the ones redshirting are O-linemen who would be foolish to pass up the extra year in the weight room) the Alamo Bowl is the No. 5 Big Ten bowl this year, reverts back to the No. 4 (I believe) next year ... why is that unrealistic?

Of the '09 class, only Carter and B Allen are not redshirting. Playing time was certainly a bigger consideration for the '08 class, but the best player in that class, Cooper, redshirted. If you bothered to read the interviews from the recruits, you'd notice that almost all of them mention that they love the coaches first, the stadium/locker room second, the city, school, schedule and playing time are then mentioned after. You are trying to spin it as, anyone could recruit these kids to a bad team, all they want to do is to play as freshman. That is simply wrong and irresponsible of you Doogie. And someone else already corrected you on the Alamo bowl. That honeymoon must have been something!

I don't know why some of you get so bent out of shape with some of Doogie's articles. It's just one man's opinion. Now if he's bending the truth or even flat out lying about certain things, then I can understand it. But I haven't seen any of that so far.

Whether you like what he writes or not, it's at least cool that he comes on here to discuss it.

Thanks for the nice words ... I enjoy the back-and-forth on here, as long as personal shots aren't taken (someone is fat, you look ugly on TV, etc...) ... the last thing I ever want to see is apathy set in, in regards to the program ... I enjoy being around/talking to people that care.

I am as passionate about Gophers football as anyone ... it's my alma mater and I grew up here, enjoying Atwell, Thelwell, Darkins, etc ... but also will be a realist, and have expectations ... 0-8 in trophy games; 0-7 against ranked opponents, plus a loss to NDSU bothers me.
Why not change your expectations to, by the end of Brewsters 5th year (the time all head coaches should be given, except maybe at the helmet schools) he needs to have accomplished ______ . Why are you so sure he won't succeed? How can you at the beginning of the year have suckled Dantonio and Fitzgerald, and now not give ANY credit to Brewster for having beaten them? Why does he offend you so much?

Read my original post in this thread, he's bending the truth, or is just flat wrong on many assumptions in this article.

Top Bottom