For once Doogie writes an intelligent article

The problem with KFAN and most of the people who work there is they are not journalists, but entertainers. Did Doogie go to j-school? As far as I know he didn't. That's why you get crap writing with little or no real insight.

Of the '09 class, only Carter and B Allen are not redshirting. Playing time was certainly a bigger consideration for the '08 class, but the best player in that class, Cooper, redshirted. If you bothered to read the interviews from the recruits, you'd notice that almost all of them mention that they love the coaches first, the stadium/locker room second, the city, school, schedule and playing time are then mentioned after. You are trying to spin it as, anyone could recruit these kids to a bad team, all they want to do is to play as freshman. That is simply wrong and irresponsible of you Doogie. And someone else already corrected you on the Alamo bowl. That honeymoon must have been something!

You left out punter Dan O, who without mono would've started all year ... very irresponsible of you ... O-linemen and D-lineman at comparable schools a majority of the time redshirt (Hageman, Garin, Michel, Olson, Campion) ... Lipscomb would've played right away as well ... and they are stacked at TE, so no need to play Rengel ... and trust me, you are very entitled to disagree with my stance ... I talk to enough people, and I stick by my "playing time" take ... kids are reluctant to go on the record with something like that, for fear of verbal backlash in the locker room with upperclassmen.

The problem with KFAN and most of the people who work there is they are not journalists, but entertainers. Did Doogie go to j-school? As far as I know he didn't. That's why you get crap writing with little or no real insight.

Incorrect ... taught by some of the finest professors in the country -- Chris Ison and Paul McEnroe -- graduate of the U of M, w/ a degree in Journalism.

I can post guest entries ... feel free, entertain/inform us with your insight, since I have provided none and I'll post it.

I am as passionate about Gophers football as anyone ... it's my alma mater and I grew up here, enjoying Atwell, Thelwell, Darkins, etc ... but also will be a realist, and have expectations ... 0-8 in trophy games; 0-7 against ranked opponents, plus a loss to NDSU bothers me.

Being a realist is fine, I'd be careful it doesn't cross over into being a cynic though.
All of the above stats you list are real. However those stats haven't overwhelmingly favored Gopher football teams for a long time.

Thanks for the nice words ... I enjoy the back-and-forth on here, as long as personal shots aren't taken (someone is fat, you look ugly on TV, etc...) ... the last thing I ever want to see is apathy set in, in regards to the program ... I enjoy being around/talking to people that care.

This is a really good thing, I think everyone can agree to this.

Being a realist is fine, I'd be careful it doesn't cross over into being a cynic though.
All of the above stats you list are real. However those stats haven't overwhelmingly favored Gopher football teams for a long time.

Semi-correct, Mason beat a highly ranked Pur. team in '05 if I remember correctly, but his record vs. ranked opp. was not good ... in fact, if again I remember right, he was something like 1-11 over a 12-game stretch vs. ranked opponents ... did win the Axe a couple times, same w/ the pig ... and had the signature wins in Happy Valley and Columbus ... I am not asking for the Rose Bowl, just want to see some progress in terms of wins and losses ... and the penalties are troublesome ... any coach previously lead the Big Ten in penalties back-to-back years? I get it, 2-games to go, but they may finish No. 1 in that category again this year ... the 15-yard penalties (way too many since '07) get old as well.

Semi-correct, Mason beat a highly ranked Pur. team in '05 if I remember correctly, but his record vs. ranked opp. was not good ... in fact, if again I remember right, he was something like 1-11 over a 12-game stretch vs. ranked opponents ... did win the Axe a couple times, same w/ the pig ... and had the signature wins in Happy Valley and Columbus ... I am not asking for the Rose Bowl, just want to see some progress in terms of wins and losses ... and the penalties are troublesome ... any coach previously lead the Big Ten in penalties back-to-back years? I get it, 2-games to go, but they may finish No. 1 in that category again this year ... the 15-yard penalties (way too many since '07) get old as well.

The penalties are troublesome, but also strangely inconsistent, 1 v NW, 3 v ILL, 19 million against MSU.
The 15 yarders to me are usually a farce, roughing the passer, helmet to helmet, taunting, late hit out of bounds. Play patty cake or flag football. Get your feelings hurt? Go sit down with mommy.
That said rules are rules, and they could be cut down. I just wish they'd change the rules back to rough and tumble.
I'd like to run my theory by you actually. The way the game of football is called has been changed to protect marquee players in the NFL, and its filtered down. A QB's helmet is brushed by an arm and it's somehow roughing, a WR goes over the middle and gets blasted and it's a personal foul. Yet linebackers and fullbacks go helmet to helmet, linemen get hands to the face/groin/gut virtually every play and there are no penalties. It's a money thing, Aikman and Young's career's were ended by big hits. The NFL lost money, because marquee name players bring in fans. Change the rules, make it a penalty to accost the QB or hit the WR over the middle, keep the stars upright and the fans' money rolling in.

Of the '09 class, only Carter and B Allen are not redshirting.

Wrong! Carpenter and Wills didn't redshirt either! How terrible of you to post so incorrectly! That's VERY irresponsible to be such a lazy poster!

If you're going to be up on Doogie's nuts about the factual accuracy of his posts, you could at least be accurate yourself. Dick.

Wrong! Carpenter and Wills didn't redshirt either! How terrible of you to post so incorrectly! That's VERY irresponsible to be such a lazy poster!

If you're going to be up on Doogie's nuts about the factual accuracy of his posts, you could at least be accurate yourself. Dick.

I didn't mention those guys in the previous post because of their JUCO playing time, but the true FR. punter, Dan O., counts, doesn't he?

I didn't mention those guys in the previous post because of their JUCO playing time, but the true FR. punter, Dan O., counts, doesn't he?

He is technically correct on that one, because Orseske will be a redshirt. But you're right, he wouldn't have been if not for mono.

The penalties are troublesome, but also strangely inconsistent, 1 v NW, 3 v ILL, 19 million against MSU.
The 15 yarders to me are usually a farce, roughing the passer, helmet to helmet, taunting, late hit out of bounds. Play patty cake or flag football. Get your feelings hurt? Go sit down with mommy.
That said rules are rules, and they could be cut down. I just wish they'd change the rules back to rough and tumble.
I'd like to run my theory by you actually. The way the game of football is called has been changed to protect marquee players in the NFL, and its filtered down. A QB's helmet is brushed by an arm and it's somehow roughing, a WR goes over the middle and gets blasted and it's a personal foul. Yet linebackers and fullbacks go helmet to helmet, linemen get hands to the face/groin/gut virtually every play and there are no penalties. It's a money thing, Aikman and Young's career's were ended by big hits. The NFL lost money, because marquee name players bring in fans. Change the rules, make it a penalty to accost the QB or hit the WR over the middle, keep the stars upright and the fans' money rolling in.

Agree ... and it's then inconsistent from QB to QB ... Porter was right: Brady does get more calls ... and certain refs (we talked with Childress about this today) just throw more flags ... Ron Winters was the No. 1 flag-thrower in '06, '07, '08, and likely will be again this year ... it's just a lock that when Winters refs Vikings games, more flags will be thrown.

I stopped paying attention to the Doogie article immediately after Weber received a pass for his regression. Now I'm not saying factors mentioned don't affect the QB, but what I see is an experienced guy who doesn't make plays when his line falls apart, a guy who rolls out and throws the ball into the grass five yards in front of an uncovered receiver or a guy who can't figure out it's time to ditch the ball and move to the next play. This game can be as complex or simple as you want to make it. For me, every time we're outplayed at QB, we probably lose the game and that's happened too many times when it shouldn't have. Lots of reasons and some of them are sitting at Weber's doorstep. Providing him a raft of excuses that point fingers at everyone else is poor analysis IMO.

If y'all don't like Doogie just don't read him. The angst this inoffensive non-entity generates here is beyond perplexing.

Since you're trying to catch me on a technicality, and completely ignoring the intent of my post, TECHNICALLY, you are still wrong. Sorry Doogie and dpodoll. Orseske is redshirting. JUCO's don't count. Good try.

If y'all don't like Doogie just don't read him. The angst this inoffensive non-entity generates here is beyond perplexing.

If you don't like my responses to Doogie, don't read them. He's the opposite of an inoffensive non entity.

JUCO's don't count. Good try.

Your quote:

Of the '09 class, only Carter and B Allen are not redshirting.

Did Hayo Carpenter and Jeff Wills sign with the University of Minnesota in 2009, or did they not?

You are WRONG. Just admit it.

And stop posting 15 times every time Doogie comes on this forum.

Look, juco's typically have 2 yrs to play. Of course they are going to pick a school where they can play in those 2 yrs. That's just completely irrelevant for this argument. Fact is, playing time is not the reason people have chosen the U. Maybe partly. but it's not the overwhelming slam dunk that Doogie makes it out to be. And the reason he's doing that, is to make you question how good of a recruiter Brewster is. It's not really his recruiting, it's just playing time. We could get a proven coach in here, and he'd be able to recruit as well as Brewster. That's his reason for presenting it that way. Sorry, the reason I pick on Doogie is because I really dislike him and the way he is trying to make a career for himself and disagree with him on most points. I also think he is far from honest. And he almost always replies to my posts, so he can ignore me if he wants to.

I stopped paying attention to the Doogie article immediately after Weber received a pass for his regression. Now I'm not saying factors mentioned don't affect the QB, but what I see is an experienced guy who doesn't make plays when his line falls apart, a guy who rolls out and throws the ball into the grass five yards in front of an uncovered receiver or a guy who can't figure out it's time to ditch the ball and move to the next play. This game can be as complex or simple as you want to make it. For me, every time we're outplayed at QB, we probably lose the game and that's happened too many times when it shouldn't have. Lots of reasons and some of them are sitting at Weber's doorstep. Providing him a raft of excuses that point fingers at everyone else is poor analysis IMO.

Interesting that, For me, every time we're outplayed at O Line, we probably lose the game and that's happened too many times when it shouldn't have. We should check notes, I bet the games we've lost when we shouldn't have are the same.
It's a team game, Weber deserves blame, but so does the OLine and the receivers.
Providing a single reason for everyone to point fingers at is poor analysis IMO.

I think it's not a bad article

The only problem I have with not nessecarily the article, but some of the responses is the "I expect to see progress" attitude. I consider myself a realist as well and realize that growing up in another midwest state and following big ten football, I didn't know Minnesota was in the Big Ten until about 1998. There was no relevancy before that time (too young to remember mid 80's). By my standards, I've seen progress. The only person who's shown what I like to call "entitlement progress" was a 10-3 season under Glen Mason...who was fired. I think Brewster has more positivity around this program and has the general public more excited then I have seen this entire time and I don't think bringing in a new coach would do anything but set back the program further.

Look, juco's typically have 2 yrs to play. Of course they are going to pick a school where they can play in those 2 yrs. That's just completely irrelevant for this argument. Fact is, playing time is not the reason people have chosen the U. Maybe partly. but it's not the overwhelming slam dunk that Doogie makes it out to be. And the reason he's doing that, is to make you question how good of a recruiter Brewster is. It's not really his recruiting, it's just playing time. We could get a proven coach in here, and he'd be able to recruit as well as Brewster. That's his reason for presenting it that way. Sorry, the reason I pick on Doogie is because I really dislike him and the way he is trying to make a career for himself and disagree with him on most points. I also think he is far from honest. And he almost always replies to my posts, so he can ignore me if he wants to.

Blah, blah, blah, I can't admit the hypocrisy of ripping on someone for factual inaccuracy when I post inaccurate information myself...

i like winning arguments on technicalities and am a big baby when I don't get my way..

good for you. I'm not a "journalism" major and I don't write for the Strib, so I'm not held to the same standard Doogie is.

good for you. I'm not a "journalism" major and I don't write for the Strib, so I'm not held to the same standard Doogie is.

Don't even start by citing journalism standards as a reason for your displeasure. If Doogie was saying that Brewster was the greatest coach in the world you wouldn't have one complaint with his writing. Just admit you don't share his opinion and that is why you do not like him but don't try and defend your dislike under the umbrella of journalistic standards.

Don't even start by citing journalism standards as a reason for your displeasure. If Doogie was saying that Brewster was the greatest coach in the world you wouldn't have one complaint with his writing. Just admit you don't share his opinion and that is why you do not like him but don't try and defend your dislike under the umbrella of journalistic standards.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And, just so we're clear, if you're not a journalist, there's no problem with spreading misinformation? Good to know.

I also don't have to resort to misquoting people to win an argument.

Sportswriters are human and make mistakes, too. The same goes for anlysts and sportscasters. Doogie's main point in the article is fair and justified. If he tried to make the leap that Brewster should be fired now, then I would strongly disagree.

It's more than that. But of course, if he agreed with me on things (although I don't think Brewster is the greatest coach in the world) I'd like him more. I'm not defending my dislike under any umbrellas. dpodoll is ignoring the argument and trying to pin me on a technicality that juco's count. it's silly. If you don't want to argue with me, don't. I still haven't had Doogie or his defenders take up my point, so exactly who is hiding from the topic at hand? Playing time is not far and away the reason recruits come here. That's my assertion. I'm not hiding behind anything. I'm using the fact that only two of the FRESHMAN players are not redshirting. Another reason, why are our highest rated recruits OL and RBs? Those positions lose no depth? Reason? There is no fact or basis to what Doogie is claiming, although Doogie says he "talks to people." That's lazy. That's sloppy. Now, you say I can't admit when I am wrong, so I will say, throwing in the Alamo Bowl thing was a cheap shot by me. I admit it. It wasn't a big deal that Doogie missed that one.
(que dpodoll to reply with "bla bla bla")

I agree with Ole, it would be a nice niche to have a media person that leans slightly toward the homer side, and not to the non-homer side which we have a lot of already.

The real question is can someone do that when they obviously dislike the current coaching administration?

I still haven't had Doogie or his defenders take up my point, so exactly who is hiding from the topic at hand? Playing time is not far and away the reason recruits come here. That's my assertion.

If he said they came for the opportunity to earn playing time, would that be more acceptable to you? I certainly think that is still a selling point - even if it is not always publicly stated. It's a nuance, but an important one, and where you may find common ground.

If he said they came for the opportunity to earn playing time, would that be more acceptable to you? I certainly think that is still a selling point - even if it is not always publicly stated. It's a nuance, but an important one, and where you may find common ground.

Again, I'm trying to find his motive for saying the following, "The No. 1 reason, and it's not close, why a player chooses the Gophers is the chance to play, and more importantly, play right away. That aspect isn't changing anytime soon." What's his reason for writing that? I outlined my guess above. And I also believe I absolutely disproved it. And by the way, I agree that it is a selling point. But I disagree that the players all think that but don't want to upset the veterans. Seeing that 90% of a class is redshirted should remove any illusions.

Top Bottom