Fleck to meet with Winfield this week

I know that we are bringing back almost our entire starting OL, almost our entire DL, all of our LBs, more receiving yards than we did going into 2015. . . we are bringing back a similar team to last year. We won 9 games last year and we need to improve our winning culture and win 6 games. Gotcha!

Pretty sure Jack Lynn and Nick Rallis are both RS SR.

Good. Losing Winfield would really suck. Shenault would be a big loss as well as Green. Unfortunately.....Hardin looks likely to be gone.....

I know that we are bringing back almost our entire starting OL, almost our entire DL, all of our LBs, more receiving yards than we did going into 2015. . . we are bringing back a similar team to last year. We won 9 games last year and we need to improve our winning culture and win 6 games. Gotcha!

Where is all this great talent returning everyone is seeing? No quarterback that has started a game. No proven reciever. Solid tight ends. Decent at best offensive line. Good running backs. Decent d-line. Good linebackers. Questionable secondary considering no one knows who's going to be on the team next year. How is this loaded with talent?

Who said whole new roster? Freshman and walk on secondary along with a quarterback who hasn't started more than a game.

It's called sarcasm. You stated we don't know who will be available to play next year. Those 100 will be available to play...next year. Many played significant minutes this year.

It's called sarcasm. You stated we don't know who will be available to play next year. Those 100 will be available to play...next year. Many played significant minutes this year.

I'm sure linebacker, running back, D-line, and tight end groups will be really solid all around. The others are question marks.

My question is will the players show even a little bit of loyalty to the guy who lost a dream job and multi million dollar salary defending them or will they just cave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly >90% of the roster is known.

Not true at all. 9 possibly suspended or kicked off scholarship players + 20 unsigned commits + ~5 more unknown unsigned commits + probably at least a few other transfers we haven't talked about = 35-40 players we don't know their status until after signing day and the hearings are completed.

So ~40-45% of the roster is still incomplete.

I don't think it would make Fleck a hypocrite, however, it would make the U hypocritical.

The U fired a coach for defending his players (including Winfield).
The U trashed the culture of the program.
The U called the alleged victim a VICTIM.

It's hypocritical for the U to now look into the actual events of that evening and make a nuanced decision.
The President of the University called Winfield Jr a "rapist." Let that sink in when a coach talks about changing culture, but wants a kid who the president has called a rapist.
What does the word "hypocrite" actually mean?

Really? A coach was fired over this incident.

It may turn out that Winfield was just a pawn in getting a coach fired. Let that sink in.
Yep, the way this went down seems very manipulative on the parts of Coyle and Kaler.

Not true at all. 9 possibly suspended or kicked off scholarship players + 20 unsigned commits + ~5 more unknown unsigned commits + probably at least a few other transfers we haven't talked about = 35-40 players we don't know their status until after signing day and the hearings are completed.

So ~40-45% of the roster is still incomplete.

The vast majority of the commits are all signing. We both know that. The only players in question are those suspended who weren't I the first group.

You do understand this wasn't the only reason he was fired right?

Claeys was relieved of his duties for 8-10 different reasons; death by a thousand cuts. Some will focus on more of those than others, no doubt. I would have been fine with him staying, but I'm happy with the change.

The potential of losing 10 mostly first-year players is akin to getting hit with heavy scholarship sanctions by the NCAA; this year, you can only bring in 10-15 players, sorry, tough luck. It's a little different than losing 10 departing Seniors to graduation.

The starting QB situation is a poor excuse for low expectations however (although two of the candidates are in that group of 10). People lose QB's to graduation and transfer all the time. I wouldn't cut Fleck any slack for that one bit. But the status of the 10 suspended players? I'll reserve my expectations for next season until I see what happens with those guys.

My question is will the players show even a little bit of loyalty to the guy who lost a dream job and multi million dollar salary defending them or will they just cave?

That is one way to put it. How would you suggest they show "loyalty".

Where is all this great talent returning everyone is seeing? No quarterback that has started a game. No proven reciever. Solid tight ends. Decent at best offensive line. Good running backs. Decent d-line. Good linebackers. Questionable secondary considering no one knows who's going to be on the team next year. How is this loaded with talent?
Yep that bag of rocks squad just won 9 games, but there is no talent on this squad...

The vast majority of the commits are all signing. We both know that. The only players in question are those suspended who weren't I the first group.

No we don't. Recruits flip all the time leading up to signing day. There are still a number of recruits that were recruited by the previous regime that could do that.

No we don't. Recruits flip all the time leading up to signing day. There are still a number of recruits that were recruited by the previous regime that could do that.

Give me an over/under on those who will sign. We can make a friendly wager.

I'm calling BS. First of all if Claeys was really defending them he would have been the one boycotting the bowl, not hiding behind the players doing it or allowing that to happen through a lack of leadership. Second they are all hardwired to respect their coaches and all the angst and support for Claeys will dissipate once they transfer that respect and loyalty to their new coach. I'm predicting by the spring game we will see articles from Carter Couglin talking about how much respect his has for Coach Fleck and what a high character guy Coach Fleck is and yes it's unfortunate what happen to Coach Claeys and he'll always respect coach Claeys but it's time now to focus on the future.

Yeah, which is why we should reasonably expect to win 6 games after winning 9 games last year!
where are you coming up with 6 as the number of wins we can expect? Did you read that on an ESPN article? 8 wins would be successful. We got 9 wins with a QB who set back the forward pass decades! No reason to not expect higher.

FYI, Coyle has never said any on earth reason for why Claeys was fired. Yet, anyone who pays attention knows it had everything to do with lack of potential progress (I.e., recruiting, donations, booster support,etc.) under Claeys. So to say he was because of his support for the team in the wake of the sexual assault scandal is ignorant.

where are you coming up with 6 as the number of wins we can expect? Did you read that on an ESPN article? 8 wins would be successful. We got 9 wins with a QB who set back the forward pass decades! No reason to not expect higher.

FYI, Coyle has never said any on earth reason for why Claeys was fired. Yet, anyone who pays attention knows it had everything to do with lack of potential progress (I.e., recruiting, donations, booster support,etc.) under Claeys. So to say he was because of his support for the team in the wake of the sexual assault scandal is ignorant.

Prepare toe be disappointed.

According to my source who I trust, he was in the apartment while it happened, I don't know for how long or how little, but wasn't in the room.

Backing the program with TC at the helm: 9 wins = mediocrity and those suggesting otherwise are accepting mediocrity.

Backing the program with PJF at the helm: 6 wins = success and those suggesting otherwise are unrealistic and should simply prepare to be disappointed.

Up is down. Left is right. Spongbob's pants are actually a circle.

Backing the program with TC at the helm: 9 wins = mediocrity and those suggesting otherwise are accepting mediocrity.

Backing the program with PJF at the helm: 6 wins = success and those suggesting otherwise are unrealistic and should simply prepare to be disappointed.

There's no need to bring SpongeBob into this.

If PJ has 9 wins after six years that would make sense

Bob was being sarcastic...

You mean like the reasons Coyle gave; negative emails and poor recruiting status on Rivals.com?

I couldn't care much less about what Coyle said publicly as to why Claeys was relieved. In almost every case, it's better for both parties to not list an array of things as to the reasons for going in a different direction. It wouldn't have served Claeys well if Coyle had publicly rattled off a bunch of short-comings in his head coach. It wouldn't have helped him in his search for continued employment and a list of things publicly would have just given message board "experts" a million things to critique, pick apart, and try to dispel.

I fired someone two weeks ago for being lazy, not being a "team player", punctuality issues, and failing to call in when he decided to take a day off when things were slow on the job. But what did I tell HIM and anyone else when it came up? "It just wasn't a good fit".

Top Bottom