Fleck Statement on Rossi

In my humble opinion, the MSU job could be nicer for Rossi, he most likely will have more dollars for recruiting, hiring assistants, and training. It may be a good step for his career.

However, in a business sense, none of that has anything to do with it not being a lateral move. What does is what he was hired to do. He will be the DC at a B1G school, he will plan, implement and call plays for the defense. He will manage defensive coaches. And he will report to the head coach. All exactly the same as his job at Minnesota. A promotion would be something like adding Assistant Head Coach duties to his job.
Exactly. Anybody who says this isn’t a lateral move has his head buried in the sand. It is by definition in all ways a lateral move. Same as KC – – twice.

He wants to be a HC and Minn is not the place to advance, plus M state has a better recruting class.

Exactly! Just like if he had taken the DC job at Ohio State for $2M per year or at UMD for $120,000. It's the same exact job. :rolleyes:
Rossi stayed in conference so it was a lateral move. It could it be a nicer job for him, but the work and responsibilities are the same.

Rossi stayed in conference so it was a lateral move. It could it be a nicer job for him, but the work and responsibilities are the same.
So, in your view, it's the conference affiliation that's the distinguishing factor? If the head coach at Mississippi State takes the Alabama job for three times the salary and all the institutional support that comes with it, it's a lateral move because they are both in the same conference?

In my humble opinion, the MSU job could be nicer for Rossi, he most likely will have more dollars for recruiting, hiring assistants, and training. It may be a good step for his career.

However, in a business sense, none of that has anything to do with it not being a lateral move. What does is what he was hired to do. He will be the DC at a B1G school, he will plan, implement and call plays for the defense. He will manage defensive coaches. And he will report to the head coach. All exactly the same as his job at Minnesota. A promotion would be something like adding Assistant Head Coach duties to his job.
Why get hung up on the word "lateral"? It's lateral only in the sense it is the same position in the same conference. The reality is it's a better job.

So, in your view, it's the conference affiliation that's the distinguishing factor? If the head coach at Mississippi State takes the Alabama job for three times the salary and all the institutional support that comes with it, it's a lateral move because they are both in the same conference?
In my view, being a DC at MSU is a lateral job from
Minnesota. It’s literally the same job. And there can be benefits attached to one like position that make it more attractive than the other.

Why wasn't the following part of Fleck's announcement included?

When Rossi’s appointment as Michigan State’s new defensive coordinator became official on Thursday, Fleck issued this statement:

“Joe Rossi is an elite man, a great friend and a terrific football coach. His leadership, preparation and communication played a significant role in what we have been able to accomplish at Minnesota.

“I want to thank Joe, his wife Lynsey and their family for everything they have contributed to our program and community during the last several years, and I wish them well at Michigan State.”

He wants to be a HC and Minn is not the place to advance, plus M state has a better recruting class.
Oh boy. You mean there's no other HC opportunities he is interested in other than the U? Huh?

Minnesota. It’s literally the same job.
This really is incredible.

"Yo Steve, heard you traded in the Camry and are going to a Range Rover. Still has four wheels and one steering wheel, amiright? LATERAL bro!"

"Yo Steve, heard you traded in the Camry and are going to a Range Rover. Still has four wheels and one steering wheel, amiright? LATERAL bro!"
Good grief. MSU is a struggling program. Your take here is comical as usual.

They aren't struggling for money, my man.

:ROFLMAO: You are clueless as usual.

Did you forget you had just replied to that post 6min earlier?

I have no problem seeing that Michigan State has many more resources than Minnesota. They had boosters who just paid off something like 80 million from the old coach who got fired. Those same boosters most likely provide deeper money for NIL than Minnesota has.

Look how many defensive players the Gophers lost last year because of the Transfer Portal. Have no specific amounts but one can put two and two together. I am sure Rossi got tired of losing players and was assured that he would have the resources to recruit and retain players. That is more than a lateral move.

I was a coach for more than 40 years. Any move I would make most likely would have been for the same position but in a better or worse situation. A lateral move yes ... but a better situation.

Minnesota. It’s literally the same job. And there can be benefits attached to one like position that make it more attractive than the other.
No point in going back and forth, it doesn't appear that we are going to agree. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't think that the average person would look at two jobs and say that they are equivalent just because they have the same job title where one provides significantly greater institutional support and a salary bump of $200,000 (or is it $400,000) per year.

Why wasn't the following part of Fleck's announcement included?

When Rossi’s appointment as Michigan State’s new defensive coordinator became official on Thursday, Fleck issued this statement:

“Joe Rossi is an elite man, a great friend and a terrific football coach. His leadership, preparation and communication played a significant role in what we have been able to accomplish at Minnesota.

“I want to thank Joe, his wife Lynsey and their family for everything they have contributed to our program and community during the last several years, and I wish them well at Michigan State.”
It does give it a different tone, doesn't it?
The graphic on this thread was not created by Fleck or the U of M. So, just a Gopherhole artistic license kind of thing.
Thanks for pointing out the bolded part.

The sadness you must have to think that we are down a rung or three from MSU. Shitty town, scandal plagued x 2 or 3, not a blue blood. We definitely need some Stewart Smalley help for all of you that think that were the little sisters of the poor. Yuck.

It's gotta be a clearer path here than Michigan State.

At MSU, if they fail, they aren't going to retain the HC. If they succeed, he'll never pass the HC.

Something happened with Rossi. His defense gave up 353 yards rushing vs freaking Purdue which should be unthinkable if he had provided any coaching at all that week. His pathetic defense this year, his exit, and how all this impacts recruiting sure does leave a sour taste.

Pair spare podcast said he left for almost $1.5 million guaranteed for 3 years. Michigan recruiting footprint is far superior to ours as is their NIL. He almost left last year, but came up 2nd for the Notre Dame DC job. He left for a better job. It is what it is.

Pair spare podcast said he left for almost $1.5 million guaranteed for 3 years. Michigan recruiting footprint is far superior to ours as is their NIL. He almost left last year, but came up 2nd for the Notre Dame DC job. He left for a better job. It is what it is.

Source on what MSU's NIL is compared MN's? Or just pulling from the kister?

Exactly. Anybody who says this isn’t a lateral move has his head buried in the sand. It is by definition in all ways a lateral move. Same as KC – – twice.
Isn’t it worse when our coordinators left multiple times for a similar job?

Ha! From the podcast. They got to know Rossi over the years and thought he was a great guy and family man. Big loss for us, but they seemed to think it was inevitable.

We have been at parity or better than MSU on the field lately which is awesome, but they still have more upside when things are going well. They can effectively recruit MI, OH and Chicago when the programs are down in those areas.

Something happened with Rossi. His defense gave up 353 yards rushing vs freaking Purdue which should be unthinkable if he had provided any coaching at all that week. His pathetic defense this year, his exit, and how all this impacts recruiting sure does leave a sour taste.
Also, the Northwestern meltdown.

Top Bottom