Fleck Statement on Rossi

NIL. He can buy better players there.

NIL. He can buy better players there.
I would think this is a large factor for any coaches decision.

If he wants to be a head coach the way to do it is have a great defense. That may be easier at Michigan state.

I would think this is a large factor for any coaches decision.

If he wants to be a head coach the way to do it is have a great defense. That may be easier at Michigan state.
Most coaches are nomads by nature and are used to not spending a long time in any one place. There are always exceptions but you look at most coaching bios and they rarely have long stints at any one school.

Rossi seemed unlikely to be here much longer anyway as most assumed he would look to get a head coaching gig in the very near future. Sucks to see him go but those hunting for some deeper reason or sign of a problem need to relax until there is actually some proof that there really is a deeper reason or problem. Coaches move around all the time.

Most coaches are nomads by nature and are used to not spending a long time in any one place. There are always exceptions but you look at most coaching bios and they rarely have long stints at any one school.

Rossi seemed unlikely to be here much longer anyway as most assumed he would look to get a head coaching gig in the very near future. Sucks to see him go but those hunting for some deeper reason or sign of a problem need to relax until there is actually some proof that there really is a deeper reason or problem. Coaches move around all the time.
It’s also just the culture.
How many people work the same job 10 years in society anymore?
And football has always been more movement than society at large.

Fleck is going to be the whatever most tenured coach in the conference next year?
Like 4th out of 18?

You have no idea how much NIL money Michigan State has for him to pay players with.
It has been pretty widely reported that every member of some of their teams was paid. But allegedly some of that ended this summer when the guy funding it bought the Phoenix suns. So not sure now.
The last 2 years Michigan state definitely had deep pockets (it did not help them on the field I guess 😂)

To me it's pretty clear that the big reason to jump is that it's no secret Fleck's seat is getting warmer. Meanwhile MSU has a new coach and will likely be given 4-5 years. If money is comparable, MSU offers more stability at the moment

Fleck is going to be the whatever most tenured coach in the conference next year?
Like 4th out of 18?
Yep, as it stands right now even if you incorporate the new teams coming in Fleck is 4th in the conference behind:

Ferentz - 25 years
Franklin - 10 years
Harbaugh - 9 years
Fleck - 7 years

And by the time we get to the 2024 season there is a solid chance he will be even higher on this list. Ferentz could hang it up at any time, PSU fans are always talking about firing Franklin and Harbaugh seems likely to end up back in the NFL at some point.

To me it's pretty clear that the big reason to jump is that it's no secret Fleck's seat is getting warmer. Meanwhile MSU has a new coach and will likely be given 4-5 years. If money is comparable, MSU offers more stability at the moment
If all that is true, maybe Rossi left so he could be a candidate for the Minnesota job when Fleck gets fired.

I think a lot of people here overestimate how warm PJs seat is, just my opinion but unless there is a 3-4 win season next year he’ll be back.

Have you heard or read somewhere that Fleck's seat is getting warmer?

Boring, but expected boilerplate. Tell us how you really feel, WWE-style. For someone as loquacious as Fleck saying little says a lot. Married guys understand.

Except if anywhere near true why isn't he still here?
Minnesota 100% would have come up with the money and the contract guarantee if it is $300 or $400k or less.

There was talk on this thread when PJ got his annual extension and the $700,000 to pay assistant coaches more money that he didn't spend it....he banked it. Even if it's not true...100% Coyle is approving any similar request from PJ to retain Rossi.

The fact this is a week after Rossi left tells me PJ needed some cooling off time. If you look closely you can see blood in the corner of his mouth from biting his tongue. The chip/crack on his shoulder may finally need medical attention.

There is more to the story than money.
Or there is not and you just want there to be.

Did anyone see how bad the defense was against Purdue?
Or in the 4th quarter against Northwestern? Or in the last minute against Illinois?

The defense was good at times. But because of epic, insane defensive collapses, this team is not 8-4, and not playing Utah in Las Vegas.

Common sense, wisdom, an open mind, critical thinking...any number of hmmm conclusions.
View attachment 28978
We are not letting a top 10-15 Defensive Coordinator in all of college football walk away to a job in the same conference if the only reason he is leaving is a couple hundred thousand dollars. We can find the money. I'm sure we have a booster who would pay it. It is that transparently illogical.
Rossi has said how much his family loves living in the Twin Cities. "Honey, we are moving to East Lansing. The kids will make new friends and we'll find them new schools just as good."
Come on!!! It doesn't add up!
We arent letting him walk away? Is it your contention that the coach has no say in what he does?

And did you actually read what SON posted? No one said it was just about money but it wasn't some feud with PJ like you so hope it was.

Did anyone see how bad the defense was against Purdue?
Or in the 4th quarter against Northwestern? Or in the last minute against Illinois?

The defense was good at times. But because of epic, insane defensive collapses, this team is not 8-4, and not playing Utah in Las Vegas.

That is all quite true, isn't it?

Imagine if 1) the defense had been a respectable younger version of the defense we had been seeing since Rossi took over, and 2) Kaliakmanis had played half as good as we thought he was going to play.

Fleck basically left Rossi alone and let him run the Defense his way.
Why won’t he do this with the offense???

Particularly on 3rd and 4th down play calls.

Oh yeah, his ego won’t allow him. He has to feel like he has direct control over something happening in the field. And he has to feel like he has a direct part in whatever good happens, so he is justified in locker room “crowd-surfing” every. single. time. we win a game.

I thought Fleck’s statement was perfectly benign and just fine.

There would be nothing to comment on it about and I would have expected very few comments if you hadn’t done your trolling.

But of course that was your aim from the beginning. I’m glad you are entertained!

to be clear - I have no "insider" information. All I can go on is what I hear and read from various sources. But -

Despite Mel Tucker's recent "issues," MSU is a very solid program. by all accounts MSU has a much stronger NIL program than MN. Michigan also provides a stronger recruiting base than MN. MSU pays its coaches a lot more $$ - by some accounts twice as much as MN. MSU's annual athletic budget is ranked 4th or 5th in the B1G - well ahead of MN.

while this may seem like a lateral move - B1G DC to B1G DC - this is a step up for Rossi.

and - this is not Rossi's first flirtation with another school. in 2021, Rossi was a candidate for the DC job at Notre Dame, and reportedly was the runner-up for that opening.

the guy was looking at other jobs two years ago. Why are people so surprised that he found one he liked?

to be clear - I have no "insider" information. All I can go on is what I hear and read from various sources. But -

Despite Mel Tucker's recent "issues," MSU is a very solid program. by all accounts MSU has a much stronger NIL program than MN. Michigan also provides a stronger recruiting base than MN. MSU pays its coaches a lot more $$ - by some accounts twice as much as MN. MSU's annual athletic budget is ranked 4th or 5th in the B1G - well ahead of MN.

while this may seem like a lateral move - B1G DC to B1G DC - this is a step up for Rossi.

and - this is not Rossi's first flirtation with another school. in 2021, Rossi was a candidate for the DC job at Notre Dame, and reportedly was the runner-up for that opening.

the guy was looking at other jobs two years ago. Why are people so surprised that he found one he liked?
As Chip Scoggins stated on the STrib Podcast, the only later part of the move is in job title of DC. Nothing else is lateral about it.

We arent letting him walk away? Is it your contention that the coach has no say in what he does?

And did you actually read what SON posted? No one said it was just about money but it wasn't some feud with PJ like you so hope it was.
I do not care why Rossi left. I do care that he did leave. He is by all accounts a top 10-15 DC in the country. I would like the Gophers to win football games. The odds of winning without Rossi are smaller. The odds of replacing him with somebody better are small.

The entire thread is about people saying he left for money. Any discussion with you is impossible so I don't care to continue on this topic with you, but those are my thoughts. I also do not want PJ to be fired. Finding someone better would also be difficult. It's a message board I offer opinions. PJ does many things that are easy to second guess and I offer comments. That's all...I'd definitely prefer PJ wins more games but I am content he is the coach of the Gophers.

Boring, but expected boilerplate. Tell us how you really feel, WWE-style. For someone as loquacious as Fleck saying little says a lot. Married guys understand.
In an instance like this, where a statement was issued, there's zero chance you're getting true feelings. Flecks's involvement in issuing this statement was to look at what the PR person wrote and say, "Yup, that's fine by me."

The talk being Rossi was looking around the last couple for a new gig and he found one. Congrats to him for landing in better job. This isn’t a lateral move.

Rossi is a good to great DC but it is time to move on.

Hopefully Fleck can pull off a good if not great hire to fill the position.

As Chip Scoggins stated on the STrib Podcast, the only later part of the move is in job title of DC. Nothing else is lateral about it.
In my humble opinion, the MSU job could be nicer for Rossi, he most likely will have more dollars for recruiting, hiring assistants, and training. It may be a good step for his career.

However, in a business sense, none of that has anything to do with it not being a lateral move. What does is what he was hired to do. He will be the DC at a B1G school, he will plan, implement and call plays for the defense. He will manage defensive coaches. And he will report to the head coach. All exactly the same as his job at Minnesota. A promotion would be something like adding Assistant Head Coach duties to his job.

In my humble opinion, the MSU job could be nicer for Rossi, he most likely will have more dollars for recruiting, hiring assistants, and training. It may be a good step for his career.

However, in a business sense, none of that has anything to do with it not being a lateral move. What does is what he was hired to do. He will be the DC at a B1G school, he will plan, implement and call plays for the defense. He will manage defensive coaches. And he will report to the head coach. All exactly the same as his job at Minnesota. A promotion would be something like adding Assistant Head Coach duties to his job.
Semantics.

Being the CFO at Target is the same as being the CFO at Fleet Farm?

Top Bottom