Fleck post-game on KFAN on Purdue: They’re explosive, they’ve been explosive all year...

Not to mention after one season going 13-4 he fires his DC (the opposite aide of the ball) and hires Brian Flores.
Also a completely different conversation.
Firing a coordinator in the nfl is very different than college IMO

Alvarez and Fry could have!

I don’t know. If I knew that answer I’d be making more money.
I’m willing to give fleck one more year.

I don’t know if Alvarez could have in today’s big ten. His first big ten title he got a co-title by tying one team and missing out on playing penn state.
Today he would’ve had to have beat Ohio state or penn state in a big ten championship game.
His second big ten title was in year 9. It was a 3 way title. He was 0-1 against the two teams he tied with. Missed Ohio state and lost to Michigan.

Say he lost to Ohio state in overtime in 1993 rather than tied. Then Penn state won the tiebreaker to play in the championship against Ohio state (not sure who would’ve won it).
In todays society he may have been fired in year 6 for going 4-5-2.

Even his 1998 title he won outright but was 1-1 against the top 4 in the conference.

In 1996 his 7 year big ten record was 19-26-3 with 5 wins against big ten teams that finished over .500 in conference. Co-titles were the shit for reviving programs.

Alvarez is kind of one of the reasons I think it is harder for coaches in the west today even though they play in the west.
We was 65-60-3 in conference and is kind of a legend. Didn’t win his first outright title until year 10. He had 5 seasons under .500’in conference before winning his first outright title

I don’t know if Hayden fry could have. Although he didn’t have the under .500 seasons like Alvarez so he would get a longer leash.
His first big ten title was a co title that he didn’t have to play the other team that won the title. And he had two losses. He was 3-2 against the top 7 in the conference.
His 1985 title was very legit.
Fry has a Better resume than Alvarez.
His third big ten title was a 4 way tie. He had two losses and would’ve had to have to have rematched one of them in a title game in today’s big ten .
I agree with giving Fleck more time. Despite this season's collapse, we've had a better chance of winning each Saturday under Fleck than we've had for a long time. Good discussion. Be well.

And your point is that but for the right coach (e.g. Alvarez, Fry) these schools would not be good programs? Well, we've tried Stoll, Salem, Holtz, Gutekunst, Wacker, Mason, Brewster, (Horton), Kill, Claeys, and Fleck since Warmath had the Gophers at the top. Who would you think could do in Minneapolis what Alvarez and Fry did in Madison and Iowa City?
Alvarez and Fry.

On a side note, a couple Fleck-ism's I'm tiring of:
"We need to be 1-0 in the XXX season", the first year I heard it, I thought, okay getting the team to focus on the current week. But now it's tiresome and have to think many players roll their eyes at it. And Fleck's statement that he doesn't believe in momentum. This is ridiculous in my opinion. I actually hope he does believe in it, but just says he doesn't for some reason.

Hard to understand why gopherlady only chimes in when negative about fleck but stand behind Ben Johnson and his asinine “we won’t finish last” comments. Wonder why…

Just look at that explosive Purdue offense go today. No points and 193 yards of offense 40 minutes into the game at northwestern. What an indictment on PJ, Joe Rossi, and the gophers.

Hard to understand why gopherlady only chimes in when negative about fleck but stand behind Ben Johnson and his asinine “we won’t finish last” comments. Wonder why…
Why don't you fill in the elipisis yourself . . .

No Card makes a bit of a difference
While that may be it’s still only 1 guy when you are there 11 guys on the field at one time. If you can’t overcome 1 guy who I assume had not been practicing basically all year then you have bigger issues. The fact is outside of Illinois game Purdue has been a very pedestrian team.

While that may be it’s still only 1 guy when you are there 11 guys on the field at one time. If you can’t overcome 1 guy who I assume had not been practicing basically all year then you have bigger issues. The fact is outside of Illinois game Purdue has been a very pedestrian team.

The 1 guy happens to be their experienced QB, and was replaced by freshman.

I’m not going to argue that they made Purdue’s offense look way better than it is last week. But comparing last weeks Purdue’s offense to this weeks Purdue’s offense is dumb when they didn’t have their starting QB.

The 1 guy happens to be their experienced QB, and was replaced by freshman.

I’m not going to argue that they made Purdue’s offense look way better than it is last week. But comparing last weeks Purdue’s offense to this weeks Purdue’s offense is dumb when they didn’t have their starting QB.

Fair enough. It’s just all in all disappointing.

Top Bottom