Fleck post-game on KFAN on Purdue: They’re explosive, they’ve been explosive all year...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Note, these are not verbatim, just trying to type as fast as Fleck spoke:

There’s no excuses,that was a bad night, not a bad life. There’s a lot of reasons (he mentioned something about internally that I didn’t catch), not excuses, for that stuff happening. We’ve got to get healthy.

Gotta give them (Purdue) a lot of credit, they’re explosive, they’ve been explosive all year. I haven’t seen them play offense this well.

On how the offense looked: I’ll have to go back and look at the tape. I feel like we played pretty well in the 1st half. If we’re expected to play perfect, we can’t. We have too many injuries to expect to play perfect

Perfection is not going to happen, we did score points in the 2nd half, we just didn’t score them fast enough. We’re too inconsistent as a football team.

IT’s either a ball that’s dropped, that happened tonight, that happened last week. We need to take accountability as always.

I caught this live - and the "reasons - not excuses" part really caught my ear.

as I heard it, Fleck said there were reasons, not excuses - and then it sounded like he started to say "internal" reasons - but he stopped almost in mid-word and cut himself off - as if he was censoring himself.

and that had me putting on the tinfoil hat and trying to figure out what "internal" reasons Fleck might have been suggesting. Internal could be something disciplinary - as if someone did not play for 'internal' reasons. Or it could be a demotion - that someone wasn't playing due to performance - not injuries.

maybe I'm reading way too much into it - but I heard what I heard. It sounded like Fleck started to say "internal" and then cut himself off.

as I heard it, Fleck said there were reasons, not excuses - and then it sounded like he started to say "internal" reasons - but he stopped almost in mid-word and cut himself off - as if he was censoring himself.

and that had me putting on the tinfoil hat and trying to figure out what "internal" reasons Fleck might have been suggesting. Internal could be something disciplinary - as if someone did not play for 'internal' reasons. Or it could be a demotion - that someone wasn't playing due to performance - not injuries.

maybe I'm reading way too much into it - but I heard what I heard. It sounded like Fleck started to say "internal" and then cut himself off.
Problem is even if that’s true we were about 5 players on defense short of slowing them down today

On how the offense looked: I’ll have to go back and look at the tape. I feel like we played pretty well in the 1st half. If we’re expected to play perfect, we can’t. We have too many injuries to expect to play perfect
We have too many offensive injuries? Cooper was back today. Maybe I’m missing somebody, but it’s Williams, Taylor, and Brockington that are out. Every team has injuries this time of year. Having Taylor would be nice, but with how the D played today, that would have made zero difference. Iowa is playing a fat, slow, inaccurate backup QB and somehow keeps winning.

The injuries and “young” excuses are ringing hollow.

Thanks for the transcript, GL.

There was something different going on with this game. Let’s see what might come out this week.

Could be illness?

Fleck has absolutely no idea what reality is. He is so over his head he has become delusional. Nothing like anything I have ever heard from a presser.

What kind of message does, we can’t play perfect due to injuries send to your backup players?? If you play crappy, you have a pass due to injuries?

That is utter BS. Do you think the Alabama, Ohio State, Norte Dame, etc. coaches would says it’s ok not play perfect because we’ve got an excuse? No, next man up better play perfect or as close to perfect as possible.

Fleck has a loser mentality. Never except anything less than perfect coach Fleck!!

Do flecking better next time, you joke!

Maybe he said “eternal”?🤔

At the end of the day … there are no rich people who give a S about Gopher football. So we can’t buy out of Fleck’s contract even if we wanted to.

That said, if this year goes 5-7, then somehow it needs to be year one if two:

go 5/7 two years in a row, and you get your ass fired

That team was not explosive, Gophers were poorly prepared and out of position a lot. Just awful angles and positioning, poor footing and leverage.

Did not see the game. I have seen Purdue play this year. They are not explosive or good. I will say this offseason will be huge for Fleck.

This gives me a Kim Hewitt of the EOAA threatening Jerry Kill vibe.

Could I be wrong? Sure.

What was the question he was asked in the post game presser where he said I've got 99 problems but that ain't one ?

What came out was the last 3 years of near B10 bottom recruiting. Quite frankly, we are among the 3 or 4 worst teams talentwise
OK, if we can't get better FB players to come to Minneapolis, why? This problem isn't unique to Fleck? This problem evolved right after the national championship caliber teams of the early sixties and was apparent by the 70s. Why? What happened to UM that didn't happen to our neighboring teams?

OK, if we can't get better FB players to come to Minneapolis, why? This problem isn't unique to Fleck? This problem evolved right after the national championship caliber teams of the early sixties and was apparent by the 70s. Why? What happened to UM that didn't happen to our neighboring teams?
You need a nap?

They have not been explosive all year, that is a lie. In the big ten they have scored the following:

The 44 was against Illinois a team you also lost to fleck. They are hardly explosive in big ten play.
Prior to our game, Purdue had 3 offensive TDs in last 4 games. Fleck is slinging crap.

I've been watching since Wacker and we stink again, what's your point?
I guess my point is similar to yours, that the Gophers have not been a high national team since the early 60s and am asking GH subscribers why they think that's so. Why the decline and consistent lower level. I still don't get the nap jab, though. :)

I guess my point is similar to yours, that the Gophers have not been a high national team since the early 60s and am asking GH subscribers why they think that's so. Why the decline and consistent lower level. I still don't get the nap jab, though. :)
Our offense is terrible, during the Mason years it was the defense. This program can never get both sides on track at the same time. Currently our HC is too bullheaded to change his offensive philosophy and it's tanking his program.

we were no longer the only B10 team recruitiing black athletes from the South and East Coast. The others adapted

They have not been explosive all year, that is a lie. In the big ten they have scored the following:

The 44 was against Illinois a team you also lost to fleck. They are hardly explosive in big ten play.
Purdue is explosive they same way Maryland had the most athletic team in the conference several years back when they steamrolled us.

Top Bottom