Fleck on Annexstad: “probably a week away from actually being 100 percent”

Wonder if Annexstad would be open to a role similar to what Taysom Hill had with the Saints this year?

Could be a fun wrinkle.
Not remotely athletic enough.

Read the thread before you say the same thing that other people have already said, please. Thank you
So we’re supposed to wait for a half dozen more inane comments before calling you out on your first thoughtless proposal?

I've only seen him when he had an ankle injury and was thus very immobile, leading to many sacks (didn't help how poorly the OL played).

Hindsight being 20/20, Morgan should've come in for ZA in 2018 much earlier.

You must have missed the first two games of the 2018 season, because his injury came in game 3. He has average athleticism. This isn’t a knock against him. I just don’t think your Taysom Hill idea is realistic. Hill is somewhat of a unicorn. How many guys can do everything he does? I suppose Lamar Jackson could play WR in addition to the other freakish things he does.

You must have missed the first two games of the 2018 season, because his injury came in game 3. He has average athleticism. This isn’t a knock against him. I just don’t think your Taysom Hill idea is realistic. Hill is somewhat of a unicorn. How many guys can do everything he does? I suppose Lamar Jackson could play WR in addition to the other freakish things he does.
Cost me nothing to throw it against the wall to see if it stuck. It didn't.

Moving on

Geesh, MplsGopher puts out a simple comment about adding a wrinkle and everyone jumps down his throat. Give the guy a break.

Why should we expect freshmen QBs to transfer now? I guess a result of modern age of expecting immediate gratification.

Any player should give a school at least 2-3 yrs to see how self and situation develops. A lot can happen in the next 4 years. Go back to 15 months to October 2018 (before ZA injury), and who would have predicted Tanner Morgan would be entrenched 3yr starter? What's to say a transfer is a better option?

I agree with you but in this day and age players (especially QBs) are getting less and less patient to wait their turn.

This is only a hunch on my part. Given the history Annexstad had at IMG, with constant competition for his job - sometimes winning it, and sometimes losing it, on his way to only becoming the official starter partially into his senior year: It makes me think he will be willing to settle in, work hard, and wait his turn (which may only arrive for his senior year, if at all). He is a Minnesotan. I would be surprised if he hit the panic button and transferred at the first sign of competition - which has become so common among QBs these days.
I have believed that ZA would transfer, but after reading your logical post, I think you are right and he will stay. Good job Schanuzer!

We are still early in the "transfer portal" era. So we don't know for sure how this will all shake out.

There will be players who like the school they're at, and will stick around if they think they have a fair shot at starting or getting playing time.

and there will be players who only care about playing time, and they will go school shopping looking for a program that will offer them that playing time.

But, as noted, the backup at any position is one injury away from being the starter. One high ankle sprain, concussion, or hip pointer changes the depth chart.

If every backup transferred every year, it would be unworkable.

Wonder if Annexstad would be open to a role similar to what Taysom Hill had with the Saints this year?

Could be a fun wrinkle.

I think in order to play a "role similar to what Taysom Hill had" you have to have a skill set that is unique to the starting QB. I don't see Annexstad bringing anything that Morgan can't. (Unless you are looking to just take some hits off Morgan some).

First of all, if Zach transfers anywhere it will be after he graduates. He is now a RS So. I have no idea at all but it would make sense for him to transfer after next year. He graduates and then starts for a year somewhere else.

I would like for him to stick around though. Morgan going uninjured for two years seems unlikely.

Cost me nothing to throw it against the wall to see if it stuck. It didn't.

Moving on
Abraham Lincoln had it right, although you typed your thoughts on Annexstad and T Hill instead of speaking.

First of all, if Zach transfers anywhere it will be after he graduates. He is now a RS So. I have no idea at all but it would make sense for him to transfer after next year. He graduates and then starts for a year somewhere else.

I would like for him to stick around though. Morgan going uninjured for two years seems unlikely.

19 straight games and counting and as far as I know he didn’t miss significant time (or any?) as a 4 year starter in high school. He’s either really lucky, or extremely durable. It’s probably a combination of both, because he’s been hit pretty hard a few times.

Last edited:

I think it will be interesting to see how much closer the 2 frosh are now to Zach compared to where they were in spring and start of fall. I'd venture to say the gap may have narrowed considerably.

We have had weber, Q and leidner. When did we care about a back up?

Abraham Lincoln had it right, although you typed your thoughts on Annexstad and T Hill instead of speaking.
Absolute nonsense.

Will always throw something out and not care if it’s wrong. If it provokes the truth, then that is a much better outcome than just staying silent.

Absolute nonsense.

Will always throw something out and not care if it’s wrong. If it provokes the truth, then that is a much better outcome than just staying silent.
You throwing out we should use ZA like T Hill was nonsense. Thus my Abe Lincoln reference 1578704819433.png
had you said that about Chris Streveler if he was still playing here, it wouldn’t have been so ridiculed.

Attachments

• 1578694473076.png
    1578694473076.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 1

Why after next year? Is he going to graduate a year early?

One bad yr. see the forest. This team has had good to great qbs but they take the blame for no rose bowl.
Well you asked the last time we cared about a backup QB....Wish we would have had some more backups that year. Croft is probably the worst starting college D1 QB I have ever witnessed.

I've been one of the biggest Leidner defenders on this site and I don't think I'd call him great. I don't think the Gophers have ever truly had a "great" QB (thus none in the NFL). They've had some good/adequate QBs over the years though. Morgan is probably the best passing QB I've seen us have in my lifetime. Foggie and Leidner added the run aspect but they couldn't throw as accurately as Morgan.

Taysom Hill is a wildcat QB. He also plays wide receiver and running back. I don’t think it is a silly question at all to ask if with better scheme and play calling Seth Green could be
college football’s copy cat. Seth Green has been amazing in his role! Incredibly dependable and effective. He was utilized way more last year than this year.

Given more opportunities, utilizing him in better situations he could be much more of a game changing weapon. Diversifying his role, adding passes he throws, screens he catches it’s not hard to see him terrorizing opponents like Taysom Hill. Few DB’s are tackling Seth one on one with a head of steam, add some blockers, good luck.

So ya, KC absolutely did not utilize Seth up to his maximum capabilities in an effort to give defenses nightmares. Matt Simon was a significant improvement in this area.

Why after next year? Is he going to graduate a year early?

It's actually becoming kind of a trend. I'm not sure how common it is, but I know Deshawn Watson and Josh Rosen, Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts all graduated in three years.

I think the idea is that it just gives you a lot more options. They are on campus year round anyway and most of them start in December.

I would bet Annexstad is on pace to graduate by next May (possibly next December).

Taysom Hill is a wildcat QB. He also plays wide receiver and running back. I don’t think it is a silly question at all to ask if with better scheme and play calling Seth Green could be
college football’s copy cat. Seth Green has been amazing in his role! Incredibly dependable and effective. He was utilized way more last year than this year.

Given more opportunities, utilizing him in better situations he could be much more of a game changing weapon. Diversifying his role, adding passes he throws, screens he catches it’s not hard to see him terrorizing opponents like Taysom Hill. Few DB’s are tackling Seth one on one with a head of steam, add some blockers, good luck.

So ya, KC absolutely did not utilize Seth up to his maximum capabilities in an effort to give defenses nightmares. Matt Simon was a significant improvement in this area.

I think some of this had to do with the emergence of Tanner Morgan. I kind of like keeping a personnel in the game, even on short yardage plays, where Morgan, Bateman and Johnson are in the game. Dare the other team to completely sell out on the run.

That said, you do have a good point. I'd like to see us add a couple more wrinkles with Seth, especially early in the year. I want Seth throwing the ball to be in the back of everyone's mind.

Annexstad was an unrecruited walk-on as I recall, but competed about evenly with Morgan. That means he has talent... Kinda like Adam Thielen was unrecruited but now a top NFL receiver.

So I hope he hangs around, at the least he'd give us a capable backup QB.

You throwing out we should use ZA like T Hill was nonsense.
My point went right over your head.

Sure, you're right -- my suggestion was bad, and wrong. I was wrong. And ... what happened? Was I banned from Minnesota, for having the audacity to throw out something on GH without putting in any effort to research it or critically think it to death first??? Nope. Nothing happened. Not even a slap on the wrist.

What happened was that the correct answer came out. I provoked the correct answer. You're welcome.

Hence, why I said what I said. Zero skin off my teeth. And I'll do it again.

Annexstad was an unrecruited walk-on as I recall
ZA was recruited. I don't know if he voluntarily offered to take the Maroon shirt or if Fleck proposed that, but regardless he agreed to do that so that we could sign Faalele and Dunlap late in the class.

Hindsight, if we would've known we would get those two in the class, we wouldn't have had any reason to sign Jack York and Grant Norton, who have since transferred out, and ZA could've signed with the class.

Top Bottom