Fleck on Annexstad: “probably a week away from actually being 100 percent”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Annexstad update

Fleck said injured quarterback Zack Annexstad, the 2018 starter who hurt his foot in training camp, is “probably a week away from actually being 100 percent” healthy. With Tanner Morgan, also a rising junior, establishing himself as the starter, Annexstad will likely have to settle into the backup role.

“The way that it is these days, it’s almost like people don’t want to just be the backup anymore,” Fleck said. “… My message to our quarterbacks is: Stay in the moment. Compete. Do everything you can to be the No. 1 quarterback, and we’re going to have competition at every position.”

Go Gophers!!

This is only a hunch on my part. Given the history Annexstad had at IMG, with constant competition for his job - sometimes winning it, and sometimes losing it, on his way to only becoming the official starter partially into his senior year: It makes me think he will be willing to settle in, work hard, and wait his turn (which may only arrive for his senior year, if at all). He is a Minnesotan. I would be surprised if he hit the panic button and transferred at the first sign of competition - which has become so common among QBs these days.

There were games this past year where Morgan was hobbling a bit and while it worked out ... I would have liked to have Zack play a bit.

Obviously the coaches know how feasible that is or isn't.

The likelihood of Morgan making it through another season as clean and healthy as he did this year is not high. It'll be nice to have a healthy Annexstad and the two FR with another year in the program this year.

Competition at QB can only be a good thing. Annexstad was a pretty darned good true freshman QB. And even if Annexstad doesn't unseat Morgan, he should have three years of eligibility left, which puts him in a great position for the future.

Wonder if Annexstad would be open to a role similar to what Taysom Hill had with the Saints this year?

Could be a fun wrinkle.

Wonder if Annexstad would be open to a role similar to what Taysom Hill had with the Saints this year?

Could be a fun wrinkle.
Is Annexstad really that much more athletic than Morgan? Hill is a freakish athlete, ran a 4.44 at the NFL combine.

Is Annexstad really that much more athletic than Morgan? Hill is a freakish athlete, ran a 4.44 at the NFL combine.
No idea. Seth Green is I assume a great athlete. Too bad there is almost zero creativity in the plays he gets to run.

Annexstad is nothing like Hill, very few are. By all accounts Annexstad and Morgan seemed to have very similar makeups. We have our wildcat QB in Green for a change of pace.

Nothing but a positive though to have ZA healthy and competing. Job is Morgan's but if he were to get injured ZA could be a great fill in. Will also be interesting to see how Clark and Kramer fit in the mix next year. I am actually a little surprised one of those two has not shown up in the transfer portal yet just given the likelihood of Morgan being the starter for the next two years after the season he just had.

You think Zack can do all that ... ?
I don't know. I don't know if Seth Green can.

Note: you don't have to run a 4.4 to be able to execute a particular play. Especially when your competition is also not up to NFL speed standards.

Annexstad is nothing like Hill, very few are.
But we also aren't playing against NFL defenses.

Whatever, people trashing the idea. Fine. I put it out there, cost me nothing. Costs me nothing to be wrong. Moving on

By all accounts Annexstad and Morgan seemed to have very similar makeups.
Whose accounts have detailed the physical attributes of the two QB's speed and strength? Just curious

I don't know. I don't know if Seth Green can.

Note: you don't have to run a 4.4 to be able to execute a particular play. Especially when your competition is also not up to NFL speed standards.

I think you've got a theory going relies too much on just calling a play .. .and it just working because you were creative with the call or something.

Kirk used to say "i'm not calling that play if i don't think the player(s) can make that play" to indicate that it isn't just him calling the play that determines what plays get called.

Did you watch Annexstad play? He’s not very athletic.
I've only seen him when he had an ankle injury and was thus very immobile, leading to many sacks (didn't help how poorly the OL played).

Hindsight being 20/20, Morgan should've come in for ZA in 2018 much earlier.

Annexstad is nothing like Hill, very few are. By all accounts Annexstad and Morgan seemed to have very similar makeups. We have our wildcat QB in Green for a change of pace.

Nothing but a positive though to have ZA healthy and competing. Job is Morgan's but if he were to get injured ZA could be a great fill in. Will also be interesting to see how Clark and Kramer fit in the mix next year. I am actually a little surprised one of those two has not shown up in the transfer portal yet just given the likelihood of Morgan being the starter for the next two years after the season he just had.
Why should we expect freshmen QBs to transfer now? I guess a result of modern age of expecting immediate gratification.

Any player should give a school at least 2-3 yrs to see how self and situation develops. A lot can happen in the next 4 years. Go back to 15 months to October 2018 (before ZA injury), and who would have predicted Tanner Morgan would be entrenched 3yr starter? What's to say a transfer is a better option?

This is only a hunch on my part. Given the history Annexstad had at IMG, with constant competition for his job - sometimes winning it, and sometimes losing it, on his way to only becoming the official starter partially into his senior year: It makes me think he will be willing to settle in, work hard, and wait his turn (which may only arrive for his senior year, if at all). He is a Minnesotan. I would be surprised if he hit the panic button and transferred at the first sign of competition - which has become so common among QBs these days.
Yes to your point on Zack staying and competing for the job but I don't see this as being the first sign of competition. I'd say this spring will be his 3rd year of competition and the freshmen's second year of competition.

Could be a fun wrinkle.
Do you think Annexstad is the athlete Taysom Hill is? I'm not sure there is a skill position Hill can't play at a high level. I don't see that type of athleticism with ZA at all.

Agreed. Next year, we should be in a lot better shape at QB depth-wise as Annexstad should be ready and Clark and Kramer will have a year under their belt. We were very fortunate Morgan was fairly durable and was able to go almost every snap we needed him to this year.

[
Read the thread before you say the same thing that other people have already said, please. Thank you
It's a long thread and I didn't feel like taking it all the way to the end. But, since we're passing out sound advice, think a little more before spouting stupid stuff. Please and thank you.

Top Bottom